red dead redemption 2 maxing out 3070ti graphics card

Go to solution Solved by filpo,
49 minutes ago, tommyT1 said:

Hi so I've been having troubles running rdr2 ever since I built my pc. For some reason my graphics card (gigabyte rtx 3070ti) is maxing out the 3D even when I turn all the in game graphics down to low and turn off all raytracing etc. (there is a picture of it below) I've tried many things like the obvious- making sure all drivers are updated, bios is up to date etc. And then trying the not so obvious like running the game as admin, telling my monitor to override game graphics, telling my computer in the system settings to run game at high performance etc. It has aslo blue screened on me a a couple times (I couldn't get the blue screen code because it reloaded too fast). Now as for my computer specs I have the 3070ti, AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, 32GB of corsair vengeance RGB pro DDR4 3600mhz and samsung SSD 980 1tb and seagate 2tb. Now I've benchmarked my components and they all work absolutely fine, my thermals are also very good. If anyone else has had a similar problem and knows how to fix it, that would be a great help thanks. oh I'm also running windows 11 if that has anything to do with the problem.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 030129.png

Cap the fps at your monitor's refresh rate and raise the settings until it doesn't hit the cap anymore. Then go back a bit on the settings and it should be fine

Hi so I've been having troubles running rdr2 ever since I built my pc. For some reason my graphics card (gigabyte rtx 3070ti) is maxing out the 3D even when I turn all the in game graphics down to low and turn off all raytracing etc. (there is a picture of it below) I've tried many things like the obvious- making sure all drivers are updated, bios is up to date etc. And then trying the not so obvious like running the game as admin, telling my monitor to override game graphics, telling my computer in the system settings to run game at high performance etc. It has aslo blue screened on me a a couple times (I couldn't get the blue screen code because it reloaded too fast). Now as for my computer specs I have the 3070ti, AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, 32GB of corsair vengeance RGB pro DDR4 3600mhz and samsung SSD 980 1tb and seagate 2tb. Now I've benchmarked my components and they all work absolutely fine, my thermals are also very good. If anyone else has had a similar problem and knows how to fix it, that would be a great help thanks. oh I'm also running windows 11 if that has anything to do with the problem.

RDR2 is also very CPU heavy. I bet your issue is not the GPU but CPU or your RAM. I played over 100 hours of RDR2 on a 5800X and RTX3070, zero crashes.

Corsair RAMs are notorious for not being PnP on AM4.

3 minutes ago, tommyT1 said:

32GB of corsair vengeance RGB pro DDR4 3600mhz

Also yeah, RDR2 is not solitaire, it will max out whatever you throw at it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

22 minutes ago, Levent said:

^^^ Unless you weren't able to run it playably, there doesn't seem to be an issue. RDR2 will take everything you can throw at it, if you drop settings but do not have an fps lock in place, it'll just run a higher framerate, still maxing out the card. Even on all low I don't think most GPU/CPU combos can cap out... whatever the frame cap is for the engine Rockstar used. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

whats the issue... if you cap the fps then the usage will decrease

49 minutes ago, tommyT1 said:

Cap the fps at your monitor's refresh rate and raise the settings until it doesn't hit the cap anymore. Then go back a bit on the settings and it should be fine

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

54 minutes ago, Levent said:

RDR2 is also very CPU heavy. I bet your issue is not the GPU but CPU or your RAM. I played over 100 hours of RDR2 on a 5800X and RTX3070, zero crashes.

Corsair RAMs are notorious for not being PnP on AM4.

nah i can say that my cpu and ram don't get used much at all when running the game. not as much as my gpu does. like it shouldn't be maxing out my hardware anyway because it proceeds the max requirements anyway

36 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

^^^ Unless you weren't able to run it playably, there doesn't seem to be an issue. RDR2 will take everything you can throw at it, if you drop settings but do not have an fps lock in place, it'll just run a higher framerate, still maxing out the card. Even on all low I don't think most GPU/CPU combos can cap out... whatever the frame cap is for the engine Rockstar used. 

yeh I don't know why its only maxing out my GPU, all my other hardware is fine running it and my hardware proceeds the max requirements to run red dead. Its all very confusing.

21 minutes ago, filpo said:

ok will try that

4 minutes ago, tommyT1 said:

yeh I don't know why its only maxing out my GPU, all my other hardware is fine running it and my hardware proceeds the max requirements to run red dead. Its all very confusing.

That means game is GPU limited. There is nothing to be confused here. As everyone here said, RDR2 very demanding game to run.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, tommyT1 said:

As @Levent said, because it's GPU limited (in other words, it wants all the GPU horsepower it can get its hands on, always). You can remove the GPU limitation by lowering settings and setting an fps cap. If you don't, it'll just run higher fps and you see the same usage. Rockstar did an impressive job with RDR2, it runs exactly as a game should run, it will use all the GPU possible and a good chunk of CPU to run as fast as possible. You have to manually force it not to. Not sure why this is an issue, it's expected behavior for a game, it would only be a problem if you were seeing 100% usage but getting unplayable framerates, then something would be weird. 

Is there a reason you think it shouldn't use 100% of your GPU? It's not harmful, GPUs are designed to run at 100% for years upon years, usually people want games to take advantage of their hardware, not just leave it idling. If you're concerned with power draw or something, just pull down the power target for the GPU so it boosts lower and pulls less power. Should keep more consistent frametimes than setting an fps cap, I've never found those to be a good experience. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

10 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

As @Levent said, because it's GPU limited (in other words, it wants all the GPU horsepower it can get its hands on, always). You can remove the GPU limitation by lowering settings and setting an fps cap. If you don't, it'll just run higher fps and you see the same usage. Rockstar did an impressive job with RDR2, it runs exactly as a game should run, it will use all the GPU possible and a good chunk of CPU to run as fast as possible. You have to manually force it not to. Not sure why this is an issue, it's expected behavior for a game, it would only be a problem if you were seeing 100% usage but getting unplayable framerates, then something would be weird. 

Is there a reason you think it shouldn't use 100% of your GPU? It's not harmful, GPUs are designed to run at 100% for years upon years, usually people want games to take advantage of their hardware, not just leave it idling. If you're concerned with power draw or something, just pull down the power target for the GPU so it boosts lower and pulls less power. Should keep more consistent frametimes than setting an fps cap, I've never found those to be a good experience. 

Yeah I put a limiter on fps and has worked in making the gpu go down from 100%. also I thought a rule of thumb having a your hardware running at 100% is not a good thing (decreases product life) I also dont want a bunch of heat just pushing out into my room all the time I play the game. Plus having a game where the setting don't do jack shit to lower the outtake from your computers hardware seems like a bad design, having to put a hard limiter on things through your computer settings is not the right way of doing things. But at least I now know what was wrong. thanks for the help

8 minutes ago, tommyT1 said:

also I thought a rule of thumb having a your hardware running at 100% is not a good thing (decreases product life)

It... can. I have had server CPUs from 2008/9-ish, still have a bunch from 2011-2012. I have a GPU from around 2008 in my Mac Pro from 2006. They'll probably die at some point, maybe, possibly, most likely from capacitors eventually failing on the motherboard or GPU PCB, not the core dies themselves. Dying from use... never had that happen. If your hardware is kept cool and within safe voltage tolerances it will not die from just doing its job, realistically ever, by the time it does it'll be entirely useless for any task. 

11 minutes ago, tommyT1 said:

I also dont want a bunch of heat just pushing out into my room all the time I play the game.

Bringing the power target down should be a better way of fixing that. You can easily drag it down using MSI Afterburner, it has a slider for it. 

12 minutes ago, tommyT1 said:

Plus having a game where the setting don't do jack shit to lower the outtake from your computers hardware seems like a bad design, having to put a hard limiter on things through your computer settings is not the right way of doing things.

It's great design. They put the choice on how the game runs in your hands. People who want to run higher frames can do so, if you don't want to you can cap it. If they did the cap on their end, all the people who want high framerates would be shit outta luck. 

Main PC 

1 hour ago, Zando_ said:

Bringing the power target down should be a better way of fixing that. You can easily drag it down using MSI Afterburner, it has a slider for it.

Yeah i have been looking into that, I should really do some experimental overclocking once I find the courage to lol.