PSU for 13900k and 4090

I am building a high end workstation and am debating between 1000 and 1200 watts for the PSU. 1000 ought to be enough but I like the idea of having a large margin just in case. I will likely get the Seasonic Vertex GX-1000/1200 as the PX-1000 is unavailable thus far. Would 1200 watts be the wisest safe bet?

Relevant specs:

CPU: 13900k

GPU: RTX 4090

RAM: 96GB DDR5 (Corsair 2 x 48GB kit)

Storage: 3x M.2

Cooling: Triple radiator custom loop

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Those should be more than enough for most systems, but the real question is what hardware do you want to pair with that PSU?

EDIT: I see the 13900k and 4090, a 1000W will work fine for that setup. Though it would be good to know your full hardware specifications planned.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

19 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

Those should be more than enough for most systems, but the real question is what hardware do you want to pair with that PSU?

EDIT: I see the 13900k and 4090, a 1000W will work fine for that setup. Though it would be good to know your full hardware specifications planned.

I will edit the description to include the specs.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

If I were building this, I'd go 1200W if it isn't too much more expensive. I know the 13900K has been seen to spike around 350W at times, and the 4090 surely will peak sometimes around 550-600W even. So it's probably a good idea to just be safe rather than sorry.

I'm also the guy running a 3080 off a 750W, and was running a 3950X, 2080 Super, and 1070 off a 650W. But if I had the option I'd prefer some headroom.

1 hour ago, Mr Technician said:

I am building a high end workstation and am debating between 1000 and 1200 watts for the PSU. 1000 ought to be enough but I like the idea of having a large margin just in case. I will likely get the Seasonic Vertex GX-1000/1200 as the PX-1000 is unavailable thus far. Would 1200 watts be the wisest safe bet?

Relevant specs:

a 1000 watt one would be fine.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

1 minute ago, PcBeExpensive said:

a 1000 watt one would be fine.

I'm debating if it's worth the $40 just to be safe given that it's already $250 for the 1000 watt one...

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

9 minutes ago, Mr Technician said:

I'm debating if it's worth the $40 just to be safe given that it's already $250 for the 1000 watt one...

The 1000w will work great for your setup, if you think you'll be doing any overclocking then go ahead and grab the 1200w one. You'll rarely even being drawing close to peak wattage honestly(unless your under heavy load 24/7). 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

5 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

The 1000w will work great for your setup, if you think you'll be doing any overclocking then go ahead and grab the 1200w one. You'll rarely even being drawing close to peak wattage honestly(unless your under heavy load 24/7). 

I guess the other angle to consider is noise. I will be running triple 360s and am hoping for whisper silence under load, so I would hate to have the PSU ramp up its fan and be noisy. I'm strongly leaning 1200 watt at this point. Platinum would be nice, but the difference between it and gold is miniscule.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

22 minutes ago, Mr Technician said:

I guess the other angle to consider is noise. I will be running triple 360s and am hoping for whisper silence under load, so I would hate to have the PSU ramp up its fan and be noisy. I'm strongly leaning 1200 watt at this point. Platinum would be nice, but the difference between it and gold is miniscule.

You might be setting yourself up for disappointment expecting 'whisper silence under load'.  I've only ever had my hands on one 4090 (the one in my system), but between it and reading around it seems like you'll have to 'win the lottery' to not have some coil whine.  Brands might matter a little, but afaict no brand/model is going to guarantee zero coil whine.

42 minutes ago, Mr Technician said:

Like @JLssg4 said, it's kind of the luck of the draw. Manufacturing variances can determine if you have coil whine or shitty fans lol. 

Your PC is only as quiet as the loudest fan, I have a whisper quiet ITX build with a 7950x and a nice and quiet MSI 4080 Ventus X3 OC. Radiator is using two industrial noctua 140mm fans at a low noise fan curve. But the PSU fan I have on the Cooler Master V850 SFX throws all of that nice and quiet under load out the window when it decides to spin up at higher speeds. 

My 4090 will be under water so at the very least I won't need to worry about the stock cooler. 🙂

I was planning on ordering a cablemod kit (I can't justify the cost of FULLY custom cables even for this build) so I was going to get these: https://www.amazon.com/CableMod-PRO-ModMesh-RT-Cable/dp/B07H1W7PS6?th=1

I noticed the top review reads "It's fine, i seen some splices which after doing research cable mod appears to have a valid reason for this". I am wondering if they are referring to the 6-pin to 3 x 8-pin cable that CableMod provides? Otherwise I'm not sure why there would be a splice in a set of cables like these.

Edit: From another review, sounds like it might be dummy wires?

"First, I'd like to address the splice. I've seen other reviews dogging on the product because of it. I actually was concerned at first, but if you look at the end of the stock cables on the PSU end (the end you plug to the PSU), they have the full 8 wires running to it, but the actual connectors going into the PSU are missing two (like they're just empty where you look inside the connectors whereas in the other 6 you can see something for the PSU to interface with). The cable mod cables only have 6 wires on the PSU end, and then there's a splice or two along the way to the PCI/component connection side to make 8 as needed to plug into your hardware. They simply don't run wires to the 2 blank/empty ones I mentioned on the PSU side of the stock PSU cables."

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

30 minutes ago, Mr Technician said:

My 4090 will be under water so at the very least I won't need to worry about the stock cooler. 🙂

I was planning on ordering a cablemod kit (I can't justify the cost of FULLY custom cables even for this build) so I was going to get these: https://www.amazon.com/CableMod-PRO-ModMesh-RT-Cable/dp/B07H1W7PS6?th=1

I noticed the top review reads "It's fine, i seen some splices which after doing research cable mod appears to have a valid reason for this". I am wondering if they are referring to the 6-pin to 3 x 8-pin cable that CableMod provides? Otherwise I'm not sure why there would be a splice in a set of cables like these.

"First, I'd like to address the splice. I've seen other reviews dogging on the product because of it. I actually was concerned at first, but if you look at the end of the stock cables on the PSU end (the end you plug to the PSU), they have the full 8 wires running to it, but the actual connectors going into the PSU are missing two (like they're just empty where you look inside the connectors whereas in the other 6 you can see something for the PSU to interface with). The cable mod cables only have 6 wires on the PSU end, and then there's a splice or two along the way to the PCI/component connection side to make 8 as needed to plug into your hardware. They simply don't run wires to the 2 blank/empty ones I mentioned on the PSU side of the stock PSU cables."

@CableMod Might be able to better answer some of these questions. 

2 hours ago, Mr Technician said:

Relevant specs:

Per your own admission, the 1200 is the way to go.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 hours ago, Mr Technician said:

@Mr Technician if you are going to use a 4090 you would want our 12VHPWR kit instead actually. That can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJ34C92D?th=1

The splices though are just a way of cleaning up the pinouts a little bit, since on direct replacement cables, the wires do cross at the PSU end to account for pinouts, and it still keeps the pinouts the same at the end of the day, no harm, just cleans up the aesthetics a bit, since those are out of sight anyways because the PSU shroud/motherboard tray it gets tucked away into. 🙂

12 hours ago, Mr Technician said:

If you want a quiet PSU, why not just go for a quiet PSU...? Trying to judge the noise by just wattage doesn't work, and it's pointless when you can find actual test results for each PSU. Cybenetics is a great resource.

The 1200W version has a higher fan start RPM, so it'll be louder than the 1000W version under load, by about 100 RPM. Besides, Seasonic likes to cut corners on the fan and fan control, so you will get a constant ticking noise from the fan at low RPM, and you might get a scenario where the fan turns on and off repeatedly under a constant load. 

Assuming you're in the US, better options would be the RMx Shift (not the regular, that one got its fan downgraded), HX or HXi. They are quieter, have a better fan and fan controller, and the HX/HXi have multi rail OCP. You can get a first party 12VHPWR cable for $20

:)

Thanks for clearing that up! @CableMod

@seon123 I was under the impression that the GX-1200 was quiet based on reviews. I'm not interested in first party cables though because they don't match the aesthetic I am going for, but am otherwise open to other brands.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

3 minutes ago, Mr Technician said:

@seon123 I was under the impression that the GX-1200 was quiet based on reviews. I'm not interested in first party cables though because they don't match the aesthetic I am going for, but am otherwise open to other brands.

It's nowhere near as loud as Seasonic's Prime Gold, but it's still Seasonic, so it's going to have corners cut, and it's just not quite as quiet as the RMx Shift or HX/HXi. 

I was under the impression that the 12VHPWR cable was a reason you considered the Vertex, as I don't see much reason to consider it over cheaper competitors other than that. Cablemod also makes the same cables for Corsair pinout PSUs, if you're going to replace the cables. 

:)

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I was under the impression that the 12VHPWR cable was a reason you considered the Vertex, as I don't see much reason to consider it over cheaper competitors other than that. Cablemod also makes the same cables for Corsair pinout PSUs, if you're going to replace the cables. 

Yes - I was specifically seeking out an ATX 3.0 power supply given that this is a new build and I can.

9 minutes ago, seon123 said:

so it's going to have corners cut

Hmm, I was thinking Seasonic was better than that.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

Another thought. I was originally limiting myself to PSUs for which CableMod sells a pre-made kit due to the cost, but if my CPU power cables are hidden all I really care about are custom motherboard and GPU cables, so the price isn't all that bad. The turnaround time might be an issue, though.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

3 hours ago, Mr Technician said:

Another thought. I was originally limiting myself to PSUs for which CableMod sells a pre-made kit due to the cost, but if my CPU power cables are hidden all I really care about are custom motherboard and GPU cables, so the price isn't all that bad. The turnaround time might be an issue, though.

We've been making good progress on turn around times and catching up on backlog, shouldn't be waiting too long. 🙂

48 minutes ago, CableMod said:

We've been making good progress on turn around times and catching up on backlog, shouldn't be waiting too long. 🙂

Good to know, thanks! I am leaning toward the ROG Strix 1000W Gold Aura Edition as it is the only ATX 3.0 power supply that I can find in stock that meets the A+ rating of Cybenetics. https://www.amazon.com/Modular-Certified-Compatible-Axial-tech-Warranty/dp/B0BPM64FHX

I would prefer a 1200 watt power supply but I cannot find the 1200W version of the Asus ROG power supply anywhere, let alone in stock.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

The other contender is the be quiet Dark Power 13 1000 watt but I also am struggling to find that in stock.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

34 minutes ago, Mr Technician said:

Good to know, thanks! I am leaning toward the ROG Strix 1000W Gold Aura Edition as it is the only ATX 3.0 power supply that I can find in stock that meets the A+ rating of Cybenetics. https://www.amazon.com/Modular-Certified-Compatible-Axial-tech-Warranty/dp/B0BPM64FHX

I would prefer a 1200 watt power supply but I cannot find the 1200W version of the Asus ROG power supply anywhere, let alone in stock.

That's a quality pick for sure. 🙂

@CableMod I do have a question regarding your cable kits. These two appear to be identical, other than one makes you choose the GPU cable you need (out of three options), and the other gives you both a 16 pin - 16 pin and a 16 pin - 3x 8 pin:

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-rt-series-pro-modmesh-sleeved-12vhpwr-dual-cable-kit-for-asus-and-seasonic/

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-rt-series-pro-modmesh-sleeved-12vhpwr-cable-kit-for-asus-and-seasonic/

They are also the same price. As someone who needs the 16 pin - 16 pin cable, I would be inclined to buy the option that includes the other cable just in case I need a spare.

Is there any other difference between these kits?

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

8 minutes ago, Mr Technician said:

@CableMod I do have a question regarding your cable kits. These two appear to be identical, other than one makes you choose the GPU cable you need (out of three options), and the other gives you both a 16 pin - 16 pin and a 16 pin - 3x 8 pin:

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-rt-series-pro-modmesh-sleeved-12vhpwr-dual-cable-kit-for-asus-and-seasonic/

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-rt-series-pro-modmesh-sleeved-12vhpwr-cable-kit-for-asus-and-seasonic/

They are also the same price. As someone who needs the 16 pin - 16 pin cable, I would be inclined to buy the option that includes the other cable just in case I need a spare.

Is there any other difference between these kits?

Correct, go with the dual kit since it has the 16 pin to 3x8 but also has the native 16 pin to 16 pin. That kit gets a freebie, may as well take it. Only difference is that extra cable though. 🙂