EU to fit every car in the EU with tracker chips, supposedly to help emergency services

Jobobee

After doing some reading I see no problem in this..

If I do some drunk driving, and they find me this way its my own damn fault.

And if they wanna follow me on my holiday or to amsterdam they are welcome.

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

Well if the EU does this than the US is going to put tracker chips in all human babies to "save the children."  Then the NSA will harvest all the data.  'Murica: We spy on our citizens more better!

IMO having tracker chips in every vehicle would be a disaster.  The potential for it to be exploited is far too great.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

You are right, if a person is caught driving drunk then it's their own fault, same goes with speeding.  But there is so much potential for abuse having tracking data for vehicles.  Insurance companies would want to manipulate this data to not pay claims and raise your premiums.  Say you were obeying all the rules of the road but were going 2 km/h above the speed limit (cause its hard to be exact on the limit all the time) and someone else ran a traffic stop and slammed into you; the insurance company could say you were going too fast and not in control of your vehicle.

What if you drove your car to a store that sells backpacks then later a store that sells pressure cookers and similar appliances.  The next day you take a trip to the U.S and get caught at Customs because they think you are a terrorist (because something like this happened in the US with someone googling backpacks at home and pressure cookers at their work).

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Well if the EU does this than the US is going to put tracker chips in all human babies to "save the children."  Then the NSA will harvest all the data.  'Murica: We spy on our citizens more better!

IMO having tracker chips in every vehicle would be a disaster.  The potential for it to be exploited is far too great.

Not to mention modern cars have so much computers controlling stuff, they can be hacked (it does take years though, but it can be done).

What if that could happen, by government abusing the tracker chips plus taking advantage of cars with computers (being able to) controlling brakes, throttle etc. to get rid of "some specific people" by "an accident"... Doesn't sound great IMO.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it could happen.

500th post... So what?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

The technology, idea and implementation are good, however I believe it needs to be optional - forced GPS tracking is just begging GCHQ to have their way with it, and to make things worse GCHQ has even less restrictions on what they can and cannot do than the NSA (not that any supposed restrictions bother either of them)

If people were okay with these devices then there would be a much larger market for the insurances companies that offer lower premiums for people who allow similar devices to be installed in their car to monitor how well they drive.

Then of course there will be the "black market" of ways to disable these, the easiest being GPS blockers, which although already illegal here in the UK are already easily obtainable, and with the increased demand will be even easier to get - and these can cause much wider problems as they have an area of effect and can disrupt other GPS systems in the vicinity, for example there was a guy in the US using a jammer to stop his employer tracking him, but he frequently drove past an airport where the jammer would interfere with their systems.

tl;dr Good idea, but make it optional.

Mark my words and in a couple of years they'll use it to catch people who speed and you will have to pay for every meter you drive to fast.

Bastards.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

PLEASE NOTE: I am afraid that I can't get the quote box to work for the love of god. I put [.quote] (Without the ".") and

at the beginning and end of the text, and only the first line is in the box.

There is a dedicated quote button  ;)  The speech bubble in the second row

You are right, if a person is caught driving drunk then it's their own fault, same goes with speeding.  But there is so much potential for abuse having tracking data for vehicles.  Insurance companies would want to manipulate this data to not pay claims and raise your premiums.  Say you were obeying all the rules of the road but were going 2 km/h above the speed limit (cause its hard to be exact on the limit all the time) and someone else ran a traffic stop and slammed into you; the insurance company could say you were going too fast and not in control of your vehicle.

What if you drove your car to a store that sells backpacks then later a store that sells pressure cookers and similar appliances.  The next day you take a trip to the U.S and get caught at Customs because they think you are a terrorist (because something like this happened in the US with someone googling backpacks at home and pressure cookers at their work).

Wow man I best change me pirate hat for a tinfoil one. I wouldn't be so afraid if I were you.

And if it registers you doing 31 in a 30 limit and alerts your insurance company who now classes you as dangerous driver so your insurance is now double the premium, you ok with that? (a bit sensationalist but probably not too far off either).

If they allow constant communication then it will happen eventually. If it only turns on after airbags deploy then I am maybe open to the idea. If this thing is in constant communication then I will be investing in a very low powered communications jammer. That way there is no issues with physically tampering with the device. All you have to do is hit a switch to prevent it communicating. No worries about failing MOT for trying to screw with it.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

And if it registers you doing 31 in a 30 limit and alerts your insurance company who now classes you as dangerous driver so your insurance is now double the premium. You ok with that? (a bit sensationalist but probably not too far off either)

If they allow constant communication then it will happen eventually. If it only turns on after airbags deploy then I am maybe open to the idea. If this thing is in constant communication then I will be investing in a very low powered communications jammer. That way there is no issues with physically tampering with the device. All you have to do is hit a switch to prevent it communicating. No worries about failing MOT for trying to screw with it.

Cool now everyone makes sure they don't go over 25.

I like it

I think this is way too far. 

The state has no business forcing people to be tracked. As far as I'm concerned your car belongs to you. If you don't want to be tracked you should not have too. 

I'm a little bias though. I come from a state with no speed limits in the country (only in towns 30 MPH). Also we have no MOTs (the UK's compulsory annual vehicle test). I regularly ride a motorbike with no indicators or mirrors at quite fast speeds, but never in town. My motorbike is German, and I ripped all the safety equipment off. It was incredible the amount of stuff it had on it. Kill switches everywhere..... 

I find the EU to be a total police state. This includes the U.K and France. It scares me how much the people there have accepted it. You can be searched without warrants, stopped for no reason, ordered about, the list is endless. In Ireland a peace commissioner has to sign a warrant (after the troubles) yet in England and the EU states (most of them) the police can throw you in jail for nothing (esp, terrorism laws, ironic considering Ireland is less draconian). In France you have to carry a triangle, a yellow jacket and a breathalyzer... I don't even drink.

Every year tens of people die on my island in motorcycle crashes (TT races). Most of them are foreigners who ride way beyond their limits. Most are from large cities. It's not safe for them to ride at over a hundred, because they don't have the conditions to practice it, or do it regularly. However, I still think they should be allowed to do it even if they;ll die. Its their choice. 

I don't care if you say its for your own safety etc... I don't want to be forced to do anything. Especially not being tracked by the government. 

If I want to drink Coke, Smoke, or take Vodka intravenously and accept the responsibility for my actions that's my choice.  

The state should be scared of you, not you of them.

One is a liberal democracy, the other is a form of tyranny.

- This is legal at home. 

Cool now everyone makes sure they don't go over 25.

I like it

In Dublin city there is a 30km/hr limit in the inner city. That is 18mph! Just because there is a speed limit doesn't mean it makes sense. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

probably be used as a tracker for European spy agency or what ever its called 

In Dublin city there is a 30km/hr limit in the inner city. That is 18mph! Just because there is a speed limit doesn't mean it makes sense. 

Personally I'm pretty much ok with traffic rules (live in the Netherlands and am often in belgium or germany)

Got one speeding ticket so far been driving 7 years was 30 Euro for like 3 km/h..

So I'm fine with all speed limits.

That's the first thing I learned myself is take it easy and "slow"

On the highway I usually just go drive in the most right lane and only pass trucks.

I have also been on the road seven years. I have never been caught speeding. Have you ever noticed that most the places you see a speed camera have no relevance to safety? It is simply trying to fill the quotas. I believe in driving safe. That doesn't mean we all have to crawl at granny speeds on the road.

The state has no business forcing people to be tracked. As far as I'm concerned your car belongs to you. If you don't want to be tracked you should not have too.

Your car might belong to you (or your bank, or company), but

the public roads do not, and neither do the other traffic

participants or their health and lives. Don't get me wrong,

I'm not necessarily dancing in joy about this, but most of

the time you're part of a larger whole when taking part in

traffic.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Mark my words and in a couple of years they'll use it to catch people who speed and you will have to pay for every meter you drive to fast.

Bastards.

Hammerofdawn.jpg

And then...

this is good!

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

And if it registers you doing 31 in a 30 limit and alerts your insurance company who now classes you as dangerous driver so your insurance is now double the premium, you ok with that? (a bit sensationalist but probably not too far off either).

People seem to forget what the word LIMIT means. Just drive under the limit? It's not hard.

But in general I dislike the idea. A-GPS on mobile phones helps emergency vehicles find you.

People seem to forget what the word LIMIT means. Just drive under the limit? It's not hard.

But in general I dislike the idea. A-GPS on mobile phones helps emergency vehicles find you.

Have you ever gone over a speed limit? Do you think all speed limits make sense? Do you think anyone has ever 100% obeyed all speed limits? Do you even drive?

If speed limits made sense then maybe. If dynamic speed limits were put in place then maybe. As it stands they don't make sense.

speedlimit_zps0e07d4f5.png

In case you can't read it, the left picture with the really wide road, hard shoulder is 50km/h and the right picture where the road has room for one car, at some points has grass growing in the middle of the road, yep that one is 80km/h.

Have you ever gone over a speed limit? Do you think all speed limits make sense? Do you think anyone has ever 100% obeyed all speed limits? Do you even drive?

If speed limits made sense then maybe. If dynamic speed limits were put in place then maybe. As it stands they don't make sense.

In case you can't read it, the left picture with the really wide road, hard shoulder is 50km/h and the right picture where the road has room for one car, at some points has grass growing in the middle of the road, yep that one is 80km/h.

I drive around 5% under as speed cameras in my state will catch you for doing 2km/h over the limit. Why don't you try that? You'll be there almost at the same time, and you will obey the rule of limits. You don't have to go 60 in a 60 zone like people presume, that's the absolute limit.

I drive around 5% under as speed cameras in my state will catch you for doing 2km/h over the limit. Why don't you try that? You'll be there almost at the same time, and you will obey the rule of limits. You don't have to go 60 in a 60 zone like people presume, that's the absolute limit.

I am not going to crawl along at a ridiculous speed for no reason (no non sensible reason that is). I drive at a safe speed according to my driving capabilities, current road conditions, traffic amount etc. I have never been in an accident due to me breaking a speed limit. I pride myself on my driving abilities. I have good reaction skills and I don't panic in a situation. I know how to drive. That includes all driving scenarios, what to do in loss of traction, how a car handles etc. I will keep driving the way I drive until proper limits are applied to roads (that won't happen for a long time). If I get caught, so be it. I am willing to deal with it.