Question with keyboard.

Chipi94

So, I recently got a CIY Tester68 board and a random set of keycaps. 

Some of the keycaps don't fit at all, and some of the switches had some bent pins, probably from being thrown around on shipping, but that's not a big of a problem. The question I have is will a 130 keycap set come will different size keycaps, for let's say, the right shift, FN Keys and so? It's my first build and I'm not pretty sure but i don't want to mess it up. I'm looking forward to your replies. 

Thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, Chipi94 said:

The question I have is will a 130 keycap set come will different size keycaps, for let's say, the right shift, FN Keys and so?

It all depends on the keycap set you're buying.

Keycaps come in various sizes, 1u being most the keys (such as the letter and numbers) and then various larger sizes (like 2u for Backspace, 2.25u for Enter, etc.). Most keycap sets will also have varying row angles, by which I mean a keycap on the top row will have a different height than a keycap on the bottom row.

You should always make sure your keycap set comes with the right size keycaps. Specifically, it appears the CIY Tester68 has a few keys that are of non-standard sizing:

- Right shift is probably 1.75u (instead of 2.75u)

- The three Alt/Fn/Crl buttons are 1u size (instead of the more default 1.25u)

Otherwise this board has a typical ANSI layout, so make sure the keycap sets you want to get has those specific keycaps, in addition to the default ones. You can mix and match a bit (for example, this keyboard has no numpad, so you can take numpad keycaps and use them on this board), but you can run into the aforementioned issue of various row heights.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/