What is your idea on the Steam Box/ Steam Machine?

The title says it all! What do you guys think about getting a steam box console? Will it compete with the PS4 and Xbox One? Will any good games be available on SteamOS (which is a Linux-type OS)?

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

The title says it all! What do you guys think about getting a steam box console? Will it compete with the PS4 and Xbox One? Will any good games be available on SteamOS (which is a Linux-type OS)?

I might build one. Nothing overly powerful though. Probably something like an i3, 8GB of RAM. Pure SSD storage, GTX 760 Mini. I'm thinking of building one. Just need to get a job first. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

There needs to be more game support for Linux for me to even think about it. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

That's one of their big things, they're working out deals with tons of companies to make Linux games, also more and more games coming out are starting to support linux. Plus some really good Indie titles, EA also said Origin might come to Linux with BF4 and a few other games.

If I was to create a steam box it would most likely be just for a Portable LAN machine like this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3HX4X. Something cheap and always ready to go.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

The won't take off straight away but they will come along, steam is on the rise anyway even if people don't buy steam boxes 

Twitter | Steam |

I don't really get it.

It would have been less confusing if they'd said they were launching an OS and a controller - which is basically all they are releasing. 

This confusing tiered layers of "Steam Boxes" are just small PCs, I don't get why they need to be called "Steam Boxes" at all, or differentiated from PCs. It can't be a single "device" with different specs across the board, and beyond the marketing it isn't.

Most people, if they are going to pay for the components for a PC, are going to want it to run Windows as well, and opt to boot to Steam OS for games (if it improves performance by being lighter as they say). 

I think they should focus on the controller and OS, and making it easy for people to dual boot.

For example - if you bought a controller, it could have the OS installed on a little NAND inside. You could set your BIOS to look for a USB OS first, SSD/HDD second. Then when you wanted to boot to Steam OS, you just plugged your controller into the PC before turning it on and it all sorts itself out automatically. Want to go to Windows - unplug the controller before turning on and you're away.

Obviously it'd still have to be downloadable for keyboard and mouse players, but little ideas like that could make the experience smoother.

I think its a nice idea but, from what i can see with my console playing friends some of them just want some thing that works without trying to figure out how that thing will run performance wise.

So because there's like 13 manufactures at different price points they'll just go for the ps4 because its easier to choose one thing than to think about multiple ones. 

Plus some of them don't even know about the Steam Box so itll be hard to compete with ps4 and xbox.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Depends are you going to play your games off the box or are you going to steam it

That's one of their big things, they're working out deals with tons of companies to make Linux games, also more and more games coming out are starting to support linux. Plus some really good Indie titles, EA also said Origin might come to Linux with BF4 and a few other games.

And in the meantime, that's what in-home streaming is for. Its very simple to get at least a console-quality experience by streaming. Of course this does not replace having games run natively, like they do on Xbox or PS.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

prebuilt steam boxes are too expensive. The Xi3 Piston is $1,000 and the hardware can't even begin to compete with PS4/Xbox One...it barely competes with PS3/360.

Might as well just get Steam on PC and use Big Picture mode if you ask me.

SteamOS will be able to play all steam games (with Steam controller)

Gaming/Editing PC: AMD FX-8350 | CM Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler | Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600| Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE | PNY XLR8 240GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Corsair 600W ATX Semi-Modular PSU | Thermaltake Chaser A71 | LG 25UM64-S 25.0" 2560 x 1080 Display | CM Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard & Mouse

I don't know, it's going head to head to with consoles that have already established there place in the living room.

It's a hard sell.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

If I was to create a steam box it would most likely be just for a Portable LAN machine like this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3HX4X. Something cheap and always ready to go.

Why go with the 4670k when you arn't overclocking? Go with the 4670...

Why go with the 4670k when you arn't overclocking? Go with the 4670...

Because I can get it for $10 cheaper.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

They don't need to be compatible. Anyone can put Windows on it, dual boot and boot to big picture mode and have essentially the exact same thing. A PC console. I just built a PC for my brother in law that is basically a Steam Box that boots to big picture mode. Steam OS being free cuts 100 dollars off the cost of a PC though and with all these game engines going OpenGL, Steam OS should see plenty of ports. Whether it will completely make Windows optional in a few years? Could happen. Would be nice for gaming PC's to cost 100 bucks less.

Steam library is going to work on both OS's and I imagine many Steam Box's will come with Windows anyways or as an option.

Everyone should want Steam OS to succeed except Microsoft and their employees/shareholders. When you are building a really decent 600 dollar budget gaming PC and it turns into 700 due to a OS just to play games? That is silly. That is a gigantic fraction of the total price of the system. Nvidia, ATI, Intel are all Steam OS partners and all members of the Kronos group which own OpenGL. There is no way they want to see Steam OS fail, because cheaper gaming PC's, minus 100 bucks for windows, means people can spend more on hardware.

MS will of course counter. With what? Who knows. A free or cheap Windows with ad's like Xbox Live. Direct X exclusives on big titles with bribes to the developer, or Xbox One exclusive ports. All that doesn't matter though. Low level API's are coming, these consoles hardware is going to be pathetic in comparison in a couple of years (even on a budget build or a cheap Steam Box) and it is going to take so much marketing and investing in exclusives by Sony/MS to keep the consoles going that they might just say the hell with it.

Whether Steam OS and OpenGL win out, or Windows wins out, the steam store and library work on both and OpenGL works on both OS's.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

They don't need to be compatible. Anyone can put Windows on it, dual boot and boot to big picture mode and have essentially the exact same thing. A PC console. I just built a PC for my brother in law that is basically a Steam Box that boots to big picture mode. Steam OS being free cuts 100 dollars off the cost of a PC though and with all these game engines going OpenGL, Steam OS should see plenty of ports. Whether it will completely make Windows optional in a few years? Could happen. Would be nice for gaming PC's to cost 100 bucks less.

Steam library is going to work on both OS's and I imagine many Steam Box's will come with Windows anyways or as an option.

Everyone should want Steam OS to succeed except Microsoft and their employees/shareholders. When you are building a really decent 600 dollar budget gaming PC and it turns into 700 due to a OS just to play games? That is silly. That is a gigantic fraction of the total price of the system. Nvidia, ATI, Intel are all Steam OS partners and all members of the Kronos group which own OpenGL. There is no way they want to see Steam OS fail, because cheaper gaming PC's, minus 100 bucks for windows, means people can spend more on hardware.

MS will of course counter. With what? Who knows. A free or cheap Windows with ad's like Xbox Live. Direct X exclusives on big titles with bribes to the developer, or Xbox One exclusive ports. All that doesn't matter though. Low level API's are coming, these consoles hardware is going to be pathetic in comparison in a couple of years (even on a budget build or a cheap Steam Box) and it is going to take so much marketing and investing in exclusives by Sony/MS to keep the consoles going that they might just say the hell with it.

Whether Steam OS and OpenGL win out, or Windows wins out, the steam store and library work on both and OpenGL works on both OS's.

If you pay the money to buy a decent PC, the idea of not having Windows on it (or some other productivity focussed OS) dramatically reduces its value by at least the price of Windows. In other words, I don't think Windows is overpriced.

I don't think MS will have to "counter" anything from Steam OS. When it comes to OS' their competition is Apple and the threat on their horizon is Google. People don't just buy PCs to play games on, they expect all the productivity functionality as well. 

Even considering the most avid gamers, a tiny majority will want Steam OS on its own and the vast majority will want to set up a dual boot scenario. That poses no threat to Microsoft.

As a commercial venture, the only realistic, viable thing Valve has done is to launch a new controller for PC.

Will it compete with PS4 and Xbone? 

Personally, I don't really think so. I think someone coming from console to PC...and Steam boxes are PC's..not consoles, I think they will want to go with an OS they are comfortable with, like Windows. I think Steam OS is going to be for people who are already have been into PC gaming. I think it is more for someone who wants to try something new and keep the ability to upgrade parts and play at high graphical settings, while playing with a wireless controller on a couch, while having a main windows machine for more competitive gaming. I don't think many AAA titles will do well on Linux, but we will see. I think far more Indie titles will find success on Steam OS. I see it more as a Tv side pc for casual gaming. I don't see it as a standalone gaming machine. I feel it is best when used as a secondary machine. That is just my opinion. What do you guys think?

I should be studying.

Will it compete with PS4 and Xbone? 

Personally, I don't really think so. I think someone coming from console to PC...and Steam boxes are PC's..not consoles, I think they will want to go with an OS they are comfortable with, like Windows. I think Steam OS is going to be for people who are already have been into PC gaming. I think it is more for someone who wants to try something new and keep the ability to upgrade parts and play at high graphical settings, while playing with a wireless controller on a couch, while having a main windows machine for more competitive gaming. I don't think many AAA titles will do well on Linux, but we will see. I think far more Indie titles will find success on Steam OS. I see it more as a Tv side pc for casual gaming. I don't see it as a standalone gaming machine. I feel it is best when used as a secondary machine. That is just my opinion. What do you guys think?

PC's are the ultimate consoles my friend. Like I said, even if Steam OS fails with MS making Direct X exclusives or putting a free OS out there with advertising (they have already talked about this with Win 8.1), Steam big picture mode succeeds and you can boot to it (my brother in law does just that) and makes the PC a console and play more console games than any one console out there. You need like an I5 K to emulate Wii U perfectly, but it is worth it. Dolphin Emulator looks ridiculously good on my Wii titles. 

Steam OS or the "pc console" is already here, it just uses windows atm, see vid below. It will do well on either OS, people just have to see it in action. All my friends and family who see my setup, and see the game prices go PC eventually. All they keep is their PS3 and Persona and Uncharted is not on PS4, so they don't bother with it. An older FF just moved to steam and Square Enix wants to bring future FF titles to PC. Kojima wants to bring Metal Gear Solid to PC. My brother in law doesn't even know how to use a computer. He knows how to order a game from steam though and move his xbox 360 controller around :). Setting up emulation for the games he owns? Yeah that took some batch files linked in the video to give him a big block to click on. My sister fights with him over the "console" now to play Nintendo games. 

Add to all this? Many of the JRPG's could be played on mobile and PC is not huge in Japan and PS4 is not selling well there, but mobile sells like gangbusters. Those mobile devices mostly use OpenGL which is what Steam OS uses and Windows can also use. A lot of these JRPG companies might just go mobile/PC/PS4 (also uses OpenGL shader library). China? That is the sleeping giant and they mostly use Windows XP on new hardware. Steam is just taking off there. China/mobile is probably the major reason crytek, Unreal engine and many others are supporting OpenGL out of the box. The one big engine absent? EA/Frostbite, but that is artificial since PS4 uses the OpenGL shader library and gets the games. So yes there might be big missing titles, but it isn't because  the title couldn't run on Steam OS. EA probably has too much on their plate currently with Mantle, DX 9, DX 11, PS4 OS, Xbox One OS, Xbox 360 OS, PS3 OS. BF4 must have been the biggest coding nightmare ever, and was on a new engine to boot.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Might as well build a home theater gaming pc.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Most consumers aren't going to pay significantly more for a Steam box that apparently has "better" graphics or other benefits that most people don't care about. The average consumer won't even admit to consoles having sub par hardware, because everybody rumors that consoles are super machines for some reason. Another thing is that people want to play with their friends. If they are the only person using a steam box, there is no way their friends who game on consoles can play with them. Plus, most people can play the AAA titles like COD, BF4, and Watch dogs, all on a PS4 or XB1. They aren't going to justify spending more to play the same games. Unfortunately, most people don't care about the huge steam sales, or the golden indie games like broforce, and DayZ, Kerbal Space program. They just want to play the big name games. Although I love indie games, most people wouldn't even try them if they did buy a steam box because no one else is playing them. Indie games are where it's at for developers, and Steam. Although AAA titles are getting big sales on Steam, there are a lot of other indie games that people are buying too. This to me is the main advantage of even owning a steam box, but no one would take advantage of it in the real world. 

Everyone is better off building their own small form factor console replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see the point. they are just pcs with steam os instead of windows. what's the big deal? I can stream games through ubuntu too.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*