Did LTT ever list anywhere the parts list for his PC in another room?

Linkzz

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to copy the server rack mounted PC in another room like LTT. But I can't see where he lists the parts he used.

I did see the Corning Optical Thunderbolt 3 (which i think is for the video out?)

But how to you convert that USB C to DisplayPort on both ends?

And what does he use for passing USB for Keyboard and Mouse? AUX?

Also if anyone has any other products or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Linkzz said:

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to copy the server rack mounted PC in another room like LTT. But I can't see where he lists the parts he used.

I did see the Corning Optical Thunderbolt 3 (which i think is for the video out?)

Thanks!

it's all done through a thunderbolt dock.

to me it doesnt seem you know enough about the system to replicate, but thats what we are here for

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

33 minutes ago, Linkzz said:

I'm looking to copy the server rack mounted PC in another room like LTT.

Why? What's your use case?

This is the one project of his that everyone seems to think they need, but very few actually need it. His setup takes hundreds of dollars' worth of hardware to implement.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

59 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

it's all done through a thunderbolt dock.

to me it doesnt seem you know enough about the system to replicate, but thats what we are here for

That is indeed why I asked on the forum, otherwise I wouldn't have needed to post.

34 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Why? What's your use case?

This is the one project of his that everyone seems to think they need, but very few actually need it. His setup takes hundreds of dollars' worth of hardware to implement.

Weird gatekeeping? I don't need to justify why I want to do something. I just asked what parts were required so I could do what I wanted to do.

7 minutes ago, Linkzz said:

Weird gatekeeping? I don't need to justify why I want to do something. I just asked what parts were required so I could do what I wanted to do.

it's not gatekeeping, it's a warning that you're about to embark on a project that is most likely unnecessary, painfully expensive, and troublesome.

if i recall, the setup is something like this: (no product names, because i'd have to delve trough douzens of videos to actually find them)

- gaming pc (specs largely irrelevant)

- thunderbolt add-in card that has displayport input to connect the GPU to.

- long-ass optical thunderbolt cable

- regular thunderbolt dock, the same as you'd connect a laptop to

- all peripherals.

off the top of my head, the entire party is actually into the 4-digit pricetag...

20 minutes ago, Linkzz said:

Why are you offended?
@Needfuldoer gave a solid advice (IMO), and by explaining your use-case we could possibly suggest to you less complicated solutions for way less $...

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it's not gatekeeping, it's a warning that you're about to embark on a project that is most likely unnecessary, painfully expensive, and troublesome.

if i recall, the setup is something like this: (no product names, because i'd have to delve trough douzens of videos to actually find them)

- gaming pc (specs largely irrelevant)

- thunderbolt add-in card that has displayport input to connect the GPU to.

- long-ass optical thunderbolt cable

- regular thunderbolt dock, the same as you'd connect a laptop to

- all peripherals.

off the top of my head, the entire party is actually into the 4-digit pricetag...

Thank you, and I think it’s all how the question was asked. You said “hey just so you know this could be expensive but here you go”. The other post felt more like “you want the info? Well tell me why and then I’ll tell you”

That aside, money doesn’t matter to me too much. My wife and I have separate offices and I have a dedicated server room, with a 42 U rack. This currently houses a patch panel that I have all my Ethernet drops terminated into, a UniFi Dream Machine and a UniFi 24 port PoE switch. I like the idea of having both machines in the server room to cut down on heat generation in the offices as well as noise. As another bonus I will have less cables running to a PC on the floor.

Just now, Linkzz said:

“you want the info? Well tell me why and then I’ll tell you”

welcome to the forum, we give you the answer you need, not the answer you want.

1 minute ago, Linkzz said:

My wife and I have separate offices and I have a dedicated server room, with a 42 U rack.

how long are the cable runs, and what sort of peripherals are we looking at? if it's less than 10m away, it might just be a better choice to buy long cables and plug things in directly.

i've been doing some googling on parts, and it looks to be around $1k per setup for the optical thunderbolt stuff.. if you're willing to invest that much to move the computer out the room.

25 minutes ago, manikyath said:

how long are the cable runs, and what sort of peripherals are we looking at? if it's less than 10m away, it might just be a better choice to buy long cables and plug things in directly.

Accounting for up the wall in office, through the attic and down the wall into server room, around 60ft.

As for peripherals:

2 monitors (either 2 DP or 1 DP and 1 HDMI)

Mouse

Keyboard

1 USB for Miscellaneous (plugging in a USB card reader, portal scanner, thumb drive)

Webcam

3.5 mm for audio and mic

StreamDeck

water cooling can do that and probly simpler. might not be cheaper nvm it will be way cheaper... but w/e and you get quiet and good temps...  imo

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

58 minutes ago, Linkzz said:

Thank you, and I think it’s all how the question was asked. You said “hey just so you know this could be expensive but here you go”. The other post felt more like “you want the info? Well tell me why and then I’ll tell you”

Sorry I came across a little too blunt, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. 

You just wouldn't believe how many times people ask about this! "Linus put his PC in another room to keep the heat away. That sounds like a neat idea, I want to do that too!" 

Depending on how long your runs are, you might be able to get away with just long cables, or HDMI and USB over Cat6 extenders. We need to know what you're working with and how far the PC needs to be, before we can give you solid recommendations. Like @manikyath said, we're here to give you the answers you need, not necessarily the answers you want.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

44 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

water cooling can do that and probly simpler. might not be cheaper nvm it will be way cheaper... but w/e and you get quiet and good temps...  imo

but that doesnt pull heat out the room. even if your pc runs cooler, it's still outputting the same amount of heat into the room, just more efficiently so. (and because of turbo boost.. potentially more heat..)

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but that doesnt pull heat out the room. even if your pc runs cooler, it's still outputting the same amount of heat into the room, just more efficiently so. (and because of turbo boost.. potentially more heat..)

ya but the point is to move the heat right... so put the rads in another room... its no different then running fiber.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

ya but the point is to move the heat right... so put the rads in another room... its no different then running fiber.

i mean, sure, but i sort of have a hunch that if OP had that sort of solution in mind, he'd have gone "whole room watercooling" already.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i mean, sure, but i sort of have a hunch that if OP had that sort of solution in mind, he'd have gone "whole room watercooling" already.

well there always the possibility the op is air cooling only witch seems to be most people with server...

but im just saying that water cooling can do what op wants. quiet and put the heat els ware...

if i was to do it i would mount 1 or 2 super nova with 200mm fans to the side or top of the rack. i guess the point is to move the rack and then exstend the cables? so i guess there no way around that i guess but if op only want the heat out and nose then the rads can be mounted in the other room. imo

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

well there always the possibility the op is air cooling only witch seems to be most people with server...

but im just saying that water cooling can do what op wants. quiet and put the heat els ware...

if i was to do it i would mount 1 or 2 super nova with 200mm fans to the side or top of the rack. i guess the point is to move the rack and then exstend the cables? so i guess there no way around that i guess but if op only want the heat out and nose then the rads can be mounted in the other room. imo

1: not all the heat

2: not quiet

3: requires finding a compatible GPU block to even have 'most' of the heat.

4: remember how well "whole room watercooling" went? i do.

38 minutes ago, manikyath said:

1: not all the heat

2: not quiet

3: requires finding a compatible GPU block to even have 'most' of the heat.

4: remember how well "whole room watercooling" went? i do.

whole room watercooling was a fail from the beginning alot of mistakes were made.

we we can talk about it but we need ops opinion

dont see why it wont be quiet. 200mm fans are vary quiet

Sounds like there is 2 ways to go about it either a thunderbolt dock on that takes in video from the PC and connects to another dock on the other end with a usb c cable connecting them. And then I guess a USB hub with a long USB cable that is also powered.

Or just running long cables for every I/O. Using active DP and HDMI cables for extra length.

11 hours ago, Linkzz said:

And then I guess a USB hub with a long USB cable that is also powered.

IIRC that all goes through using single thunderbolt cable per PC (since they have 2). Remember that USB-C here is just connector, not the port.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 hours ago, Linkzz said:

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

you actually don't need thunderbolt to accomplish this. I have a similar setup myself and all I did was pickup some 50ft display port cables and a USB 3.0 repeater cable which connects to a 16 port hub (lets be honest, 5gbps is plenty fast enough)

displayport cables

usb cable

usb hub

then if I need to hit a power button I'm using this nifty do-dad which is proof that silverstone literally makes anything.

22 hours ago, Linkzz said:

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

To come back to this;

Caldigit TB Dock https://youtu.be/W3kggpE9W8A

Corning TB Optical cable https://youtu.be/Dy312cUHumk

AMD Personal Rig upgrade https://youtu.be/wQMCvQ01e80

(spoiler: the mobo has required TB ports)

I think that was all you were asking? It really is just mobo with correct ports, optical TB cable and top level TB dock.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

To come back to this;

Caldigit TB Dock https://youtu.be/W3kggpE9W8A

Corning TB Optical cable https://youtu.be/Dy312cUHumk

AMD Personal Rig upgrade https://youtu.be/wQMCvQ01e80

(spoiler: the mobo has required TB ports)

I think that was all you were asking? It really is just mobo with correct ports, optical TB cable and top level TB dock.

So to understand this, I would have the Caldigit TB Dock on my desk, then route the Corning TB Optical cable through the attic and plugged into the mobo on the rack mount PC (assuming the mobo has a TB port). I would plug all my peripherals into the dock (monitors, keyboard, mouse, webcams)? I might need to daisy chain a USB hub off this if I run out. Can 1 TB cable really carry all that info on the same line? I'm kinda blown away by that.

1 minute ago, Linkzz said:

So to understand this, I would have the Caldigit TB Dock on my desk, then route the Corning TB Optical cable through the attic and plugged into the mobo on the rack mount PC (assuming the mobo has a TB port). I would plug all my peripherals into the dock (monitors, keyboard, mouse, webcams)? I might need to daisy chain a USB hub off this if I run out. Can 1 TB cable really carry all that info on the same line? I'm kinda blown away by that.

Its optical so it doesn't have same kind of limitations as metallic wires would have. TB3 is also 40Gb/s (specced) so it will have enough bandwidth to carry all needed data. I'm not the best to explain tech behind fibre optics, there are much more technical people to explain the physics behind all that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Its optical so it doesn't have same kind of limitations as metallic wires would have. TB3 is also 40Gb/s (specced) so it will have enough bandwidth to carry all needed data. I'm not the best to explain tech behind fibre optics, there are much more technical people to explain the physics behind all that.

And if my current mobo doesn't have TB support, would something like this be able to suffice?

https://us-store.msi.com/Thunderbolt-4-PCIe-Expansion-Card