so... was gifted old p.c. parts

egriff79

I just was gifted a bunch of old pc parts probably not a good idea just took someone else trash i guess... but these are the most interesting things I have found so far thinking I could make a retro pc but is there a market for it or would it be worth the head ach to play early 200 games... if anyone knows what I got or any ideas of what to do with this pictures below.

SUNP0980.JPG

SUNP0981.JPG

SUNP0984.JPG

SUNP0985.JPG

SUNP0976.JPG

I'm seeing an XP gaming build in the making there.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

not pictured here are a bunch of cases and power supplies as well. really all i need is a cpu and there might be one hidden somewhere in the hay stack.

Don't connect those power supplies to anything you care about... PSU's do not age gracefully

I wasn't this is probably just going to be a for fun endeavor. 

Wow, you're like one CPU and cooler from a full Windows XP retro PC build.  No clear shot on exactly what model that mobo is.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

For some reason, I absolutely miss these cartoon characters, even though the teenage me found it to be extremely cringe (I'm 34). 

In any case, I doubt you can get much out of that 9500GT, which essentially falls between the GT210 and GT220 in terms of core/texture count. 

But since it says "512MB GDDR," that means you've won the vRAM lottery as the 9500GT is available with either DDR2 or GDDR3 and the latter is enormously more powerful than the former. 

But a real shame you didn't get the 9600GT, which is literally twice the card and was basically the 3060Ti of its time. 

1 hour ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Wow, you're like one CPU and cooler from a full Windows XP retro PC build.  No clear shot on exactly what model that mobo is.

Got a cooler, cpu is the one thing i need the mobo is a am2 A13g+ from pc chips supports Atholon 64, FX/atholon 64 Dual-Core/ athlon 64/Sempron processers

On 5/4/2023 at 2:47 AM, aisle9 said:

I'm seeing an XP gaming build in the making there.

Looking at parts, this would be late-XP, main-Vista and early-7 era stuff. Around 2010s.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 5/4/2023 at 6:21 AM, Man said:

For some reason, I absolutely miss these cartoon characters, even though the teenage me found it to be extremely cringe (I'm 34).

In any case, I doubt you can get much out of that 9500GT, which essentially falls between the GT210 and GT220 in terms of core/texture count.

But since it says "512MB GDDR," that means you've won the vRAM lottery as the 9500GT is available with either DDR2 or GDDR3 and the latter is enormously more powerful than the former.

But a real shame you didn't get the 9600GT, which is literally twice the card and was basically the 3060Ti of its time.

Erm, about those memory differences... First of all, today people will burn you on the cross for suggesting that less VRAM can outperform more VRAM.
The second thing, is the GPUs are identically slow in processing power. so the quicker memory will wait, proportionally, the same time as the ddr2 before fetching the next chunk.  The end performance is identical.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:10 AM, egriff79 said:

I just was gifted a bunch of old pc parts probably not a good idea just took someone else trash i guess... but these are the most interesting things I have found so far thinking I could make a retro pc but is there a market for it or would it be worth the head ach to play early 200 games... if anyone knows what I got or any ideas of what to do with this pictures below.

SUNP0980.JPG

SUNP0981.JPG

SUNP0984.JPG

SUNP0985.JPG

SUNP0976.JPG

What are those memory sticks? DDR3 or 2? And what in the world is that PcChips contraption?

Another thing is what power supplies do you have? Because if it's Antec, Thermaltake, or some other decent one from the era, depending on their visual condition, they might be still operable. Had a Thermaltake 450w for about 10 years, before passing it to my father, to work for another 5 before upgrading.

There is approximately a 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

nah those PSUs will still burn down your house even under regular load/low load. Even the nicer ones of the day.

Cultists Network lists the following as F tier, replace immediately, due to the fire hazard they pose and the danger to the components.

• Any units released more than 12 years ago, bought more than 10 years ago, or made for ATX spec v2.2 or earlier due to the age of design and components

When I get an F-tier unit through my inventory I smash it with a sledgehammer so nobody can use it and toss it in e-waste.

4 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

nah those PSUs will still burn down your house even under regular load/low load. Even the nicer ones of the day.

Cultists Network lists the following as F tier, replace immediately, due to the fire hazard they pose and the danger to the components.

• Any units released more than 12 years ago, bought more than 10 years ago, or made for ATX spec v2.2 or earlier due to the age of design and components

When I get an F-tier unit through my inventory I smash it with a sledgehammer so nobody can use it and toss it in e-waste.

Let's say they were seldom used, by a reputable manufacturer, have no visual deformities or leaks, and everything lights up on a PSU tester... Wouldn't you give it a go on a 30$ motherboard from the same era?

Refresh before you reply

38 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Classic spoiled richkiddie attitude. If I don't need it anymore then I'll trash it so nobody else can make use of it.

wth are you talking about it’s a legitimate safety concern. Tier F PSUs are worse than useless. Just ask Luke from LTT who co-runs Cultists Network (the PSU Tier List ppl).

And I’m no “spoiled richkiddie,” in fact I commonly build PCs from ewaste parts I collect from local recycling centers- say an i7 3770, oem mobo, whatever case and ram I have lying around, throw a decent $15 250gb SSD in, and give that away for free to people who need them in my community. Most importantly, I make sure to only use reliable parts that won’t kill the system or burn their house down, and if it ever did die I’ll repair em for free. I’m aware even being able to do that means I have some sort of privilege compared to other people but i’m no bezos lmfao

You are plain wrong and do not understand the science of power supplies. Tier F supplies are missing extremely important protections that make it not only a fire hazard but more dangerous than a normal supply. Read the tier list full methodology for more information.

1 hour ago, Timme said:

Let's say they were seldom used, by a reputable manufacturer, have no visual deformities or leaks, and everything lights up on a PSU tester... Wouldn't you give it a go on a 30$ motherboard from the same era?

Yes, but I would not let them out of my sight while they were running. i would then get a $20 used PSU around tier C or even D and use that instead. Heck I find free C tier PSUs in ewaste all the time. For example I have 3 M12II 650 watt units from Seasonic, tier C, that all function perfectly which I found in ewaste.

2 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Yes, but I would not let them out of my sight while they were running. i would then get a 72.72₪ ($20) used PSU around tier C or even D and use that instead. Heck I find free C tier PSUs in ewaste all the time.

Can we ditch the tier list? I really didn't study the entire spreadsheet to understand the A-B-C. Let's put it this way - you're in the market to build a retro PC. 20-30 years back. What PSU options are available for me? Of course, with all the derelict connectors?

Refresh before you reply

4 minutes ago, Timme said:

Can we ditch the tier list? I really didn't study the entire spreadsheet to understand the A-B-C. Let's put it this way - you're in the market to build a retro PC. 20-30 years back. What PSU options are available for me? Of course, with all the derelict connectors?

Most modern PSUs- cheap used ones being a good buy- will have full backwards compatibility. They may only have a couple AMP (incorrectly known as Molex) connectors to power peripherals, or they may have none and require an adapter that’s like a dollar, but the motherboard connectors will work (you may have to detach the 4 pin from the 20 pin side of the 20+4 pin mobo connector)

Other than that, you can use an old PSU and just unplug it from the wall when you leave the room. I have had old PSUs catch fire before while testing old PCs, this is not some anecdote i’ve heard from someone who heard it from someone on the internet. Just be careful, and you should be good to go

19 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Most modern PSUs- cheap used ones being a good buy- will have full backwards compatibility. They may only have a couple AMP (incorrectly known as Molex) connectors to power peripherals, or they may have none and require an adapter that’s like a dollar, but the motherboard connectors will work (you may have to detach the 4 pin from the 20 pin side of the 20+4 pin mobo connector)

Other than that, you can use an old PSU and just unplug it from the wall when you leave the room. I have had old PSUs catch fire before while testing old PCs, this is not some anecdote i’ve heard from someone who heard it from someone on the internet. Just be careful, and you should be good to go

IDE, floppy, different voltages, etc. Backward compatibility has limitations. What would be your pick for a Pentium 60 or even Pentium II? And of course, you don't keep those PC on 24/7. "Just be careful, and you should be good to go"+1 Add in the study of the subject, before acting. That sounds like a great disclaimer for any DIY project. And life; Sorry, retro builds. 

Refresh before you reply

2 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

When I see a cockroach in my living room, I burn it with gasoline so it can't get into anyone else's building.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

When I see a cockroach in my living room, I burn it with gasoline so it can't get into anyone else's building.

"Smash it with a shoe" would be a closer analogy...?

Refresh before you reply