Callout to all Programmers

DrProfSagi

Greetings,

Me and my partners are in the work to build a platform that will allow developers and programmers "skip the queue" so to say regarding deployment and maintenance of self developed services in the cloud.

Basically we are working on a portal at first, that will allow you simply inatruct our platform what backend engine / language you use, and we wil ldeploy the service into your environment.

Would love to hear some of your input:

1. How long does it usually takes you to deploy a service

2. How big is your devops team (if any)

3. What are the major "sore points" in your current "devops workflow"?

4. What is your major "engine" for services? (I.e. python, react, pure nodejs, .net etc)

5. Would you agree to be quoted on that in our marketing strategy? If so i will reach out in private (please dont leave your contact info out in the open...)

Thanks!

We can do that already using our CI/CD pipeline. Which has the advantage that we control every step of the process, the process itself is checked into our repository and we don't need to give root access to our cloud instances to a third party.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 hours ago, Sakuriru said:

Do you mean like CI/CD pipelines?

Basically yes, but much more, our goal is to have you only provide access to the git repo where your code is, and we will take care of the rest

12 minutes ago, DrProfSagi said:

Basically yes, but much more, our goal is to have you only provide access to the git repo where your code is, and we will take care of the rest

Providing access to our repositories would be a big no-no for us, and I assume a lot of other companies out there. Aside from that, you don't need access to our source code to deploy our software. Access to the compiled binary (or better yet, docker container) is enough. That's how our on-premise customers do it, after all.

20 hours ago, DrProfSagi said:

Basically we are working on a portal at first, that will allow you simply inatruct our platform what backend engine / language you use, and we wil ldeploy the service into your environment.

You can checkout my "How to get into programming" thread in my signature. Check the business programming section for some insight.

Would love to hear some of your input:

1. How long does it usually takes you to deploy a service

About an hour.

2. How big is your devops team (if any)

Once it's setup, it's pretty easy for devs to use it.

3. What are the major "sore points" in your current "devops workflow"?

People not communicating on who is using it.

4. What is your major "engine" for services? (I.e. python, react, pure nodejs, .net etc)

Java

5. Would you agree to be quoted on that in our marketing strategy? If so i will reach out in private (please dont leave your contact info out in the open...)

Why?
Are you making a product or writing an article?

On 4/30/2023 at 7:45 AM, Eigenvektor said:

We can do that already using our CI/CD pipeline. Which has the advantage that we control every step of the process, the process itself is checked into our repository and we don't need to give root access to our cloud instances to a third party.

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like you are already setup with some solid pipelines and an existing environment, our product is aimed more for newer projects, like those who worked on some platform like railway.app, and now want to move to their own cloud, but dont have the time / resources to do it the right way...

But our goal is different from railway's, we want to give you all the tools to manage your own cloud, not host it for you...

21 hours ago, fpo said:

You can checkout my "How to get into programming" thread in my signature. Check the business programming section for some insight.

About an hour.

Once it's setup, it's pretty easy for devs to use it.

People not communicating on who is using it.

Java

Why?
Are you making a product or writing an article?

Thank you so much for your input!

Yes, we are currently working on a product / platform, and would love to have some "from the field" testemonies that would support / counter our product need.

15 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:
  1. We use CI/CD it's as simple as pushing a button.
  2. On my team we don't currently have devops support, I'm the devops support.
  3. Lack of proper tools and equipment, as always. The biggest issue is not being able to configure things exactly how they're supposed to be. Personally I want defined parameters (e.g., NixOS) that aren't subject to breaking whenever someone decides that those machines can't support our software configuration without telling us.
  4. Full stack with .NET / python / Vue.js. Webserver stuff is always a pain.
  5. No.

Thanks for your input! Will take that into account!

13 minutes ago, DrProfSagi said:

It sounds like you are already setup with some solid pipelines and an existing environment

About the CI/CD, it might be worth mentioning that i was at a big business developer conference about 3 months with about 3k+ devs and when the question was asked on how much actually use CI/CD we saw a handful of hands up only. Apparently the keynote presenter is doing tour around the world and it's something that is pretty normal average all around the world. It was weird that i kept hearing people use CI/CD but never actually saw a company use it.

7 minutes ago, Franck said:

About the CI/CD, it might be worth mentioning that i was at a big business developer conference about 3 months with about 3k+ devs and when the question was asked on how much actually use CI/CD we saw a handful of hands up only. Apparently the keynote presenter is doing tour around the world and it's something that is pretty normal average all around the world. It was weird that i kept hearing people use CI/CD but never actually saw a company use it.

Exactly our point!

Because DevOps and CI/CD are such buzzwords, everything is ci/cd...

You know how to branch in git - DevOps engineer.

You know how to do git push and git clone - CI/CD expert.

We aim to fix that, we are going to provide you with a simple to use, friendly platform that will manage your:

- databases

- backend services

- frontend

- security

- monitoring

- budgets

All of that while hiding nothing, it will all run in your cloud, with your code, so even if you decide this is not for you, you simply disconnect and everything is still yours, no need to migrate or export import...

(All the examples about devops were written in exaggeration and have no disrespect to anyone)

2 hours ago, Franck said:

Guess that depends on how exactly you define CI/CD. I work for a fairly small company (~100 employees in total). I'm part of a small development team (<15) that works on one specific product.

We use GitLab to automatically build and run tests. It can also be used to start up and shut down our test environment for manual tests. Tags get automatically deployed to our staging machines. Moving things to our production cloud servers is "manual" in the sense that someone has to click the Play button in GitLab. It also deploys to Docker hub and provides manual downloads for customers who run on-premise.

We automate as much as possible, precisely because we don't have a huge budget and/or a large team of people.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, DrProfSagi said:

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like you are already setup with some solid pipelines and an existing environment, our product is aimed more for newer projects, like those who worked on some platform like railway.app, and now want to move to their own cloud, but dont have the time / resources to do it the right way...

But our goal is different from railway's, we want to give you all the tools to manage your own cloud, not host it for you...

What would be the advantage of that when we already have stuff like github actions?

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga