What phone are you using in 2023?

Nior2008
On 5/17/2023 at 4:13 PM, E-waste said:

Does this also have power saving modes that you can enable, have you tried and tested those, and can you install apk files from sites like apkpure?

It does have power saving mode, and can install APK and Play Store apps. It's stock Android 11 on a beefed up flip phone. I know CAT says "Android Go Edition", but it's basically just stock Android that runs slightly lighter. I've ripped out all the smartphone stuff as much as I can. If people want me to install an app for something, especially if it's something I'll become dependent on, I just say I have a flip phone and they usually leave it at that. I literally don't use this thing for anything other than phone calls and SMS text anymore. And it stays at home 24/7. The only device I ever carry on me is sometimes my laptop in my side bag. 

On 5/17/2023 at 4:13 PM, E-waste said:

a PC from 2007 is perfectly usable

Ye. See my signature. I hardly ever touch my gaming PC anymore since adult hood hit. But I rely on my daily driver every day. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

S22 that I got basically for free after my previous S10e died under extended warranty. I like small phones and am not a fan of iOS.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

On 5/17/2023 at 3:14 PM, E-waste said:

Don't charge from 0-100%.  Not obly can you charge even faster by not allowing the battery to ever get that low, but your battery will maintain charge capacity over time for many years vs maybe two.

Keep the battery around 40% at the minimum and not much past 60% if you really want it to last.  Sadly, depressingly, most people change devices with zero existential NEED to do so, for new "features" or performance reasons, or just to look cool, which is not a healthy way to think about technology as a tool, instead of a toy.

I mean i do look at technology as a toy. Its fun for me. I mean i probably will upgrade anyways so the battery longevity doesnt really matter

On 5/17/2023 at 2:33 PM, E-waste said:

Deal with the cracked corner in your screen, let's not get so picky.  I wish I'd kept my lcd monitor from years ago, it had two sepia yellow spots, at the top and bottom, no big deal, and had better color reproduction in blue tones.  I would actually like that monitor more than my current one.

Don't let software bugs force you into a completely needless hardware switch and try getting Lineage OS onto the device.

XDA-developers is a wonderful website, and I've visited their page since 2008 or so.

Here's a guide on how to unlock the bootloader of a Nokia 5.3

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-heres-how-to-unlock-the-bootloader-of-nokia-5-3.4568619/

It it was just the cracked screen, I would have dealt with it.

It was the crashing when I least expected it what why I switched. I can't root my device because of work.  The apps I use won't work on a rooted phone.

I am keeping it as a backup phone if something happens to my Pixel 7 though, so no e-waste!

On 5/17/2023 at 1:51 AM, AudiTTFan said:

iPhone XS. I still refuse to give up 3D Touch.

I understand what you mean used to love 3d touch too. 

Galaxy ZFOLD 3,

Incredibly device, however, some areas need improvement. The screen protector on the central screen cracked about four months in. I have since removed the screen protector (I couldn't afford the phone being out of commission at the time I was quoted for a repair, so I just took the risk). Judging by what happened to my fiancées ZFLIP3 after about one year of use, I'm just waiting for the hairline cracks to start forming down the crease.  

Other gripes are that a lot of third-party applications just aren't built in a way that looks good on the non-standard display sizes. With adoption for the devices being fairly niche at the moment, I don't see this improving any time soon.

Been mostly negative, admittedly, in this post, but it does look super cool, and the larger screen size has come in very handy on multiple occasions. 

Will be sticking with a candy bar next time, but my time as a Samsung guinea pig hasn't been all bad!

Glowing screen captures,

Sleep eludes, lost in pixels,

Restless eyes still yearn.

-ChatGPT; the greatest poet of our generation.

22 minutes ago, MantraWeasel said:

I'm just waiting for the hairline cracks to start forming down the crease.  

I have a friend who has that device. After a year the screen looked like meh. While I think Foldable phones may have a future, I think the tech behind them may need a bit more R&D. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I have a friend who has that device. After a year the screen looked like meh. While I think Foldable phones may have a future, I think the tech behind them may need a bit more R&D. 

Agreed, I won't likely be getting one again unless they do become mainstream, but it's definitely been an experience.

Support for them just needs a lot more work. 

Glowing screen captures,

Sleep eludes, lost in pixels,

Restless eyes still yearn.

-ChatGPT; the greatest poet of our generation.

*** Thread cleaned ***

Let's try to keep this on topic. If you want to discuss issues with modem society, do it somewhere else. That comes really close to politics.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

That comes really close to politics.

Thank you for keeping most of my posts, it really, really means a LOT!

I'm just trying to keep everyone aware of what is REALLY going on instead of buying into the new shiny marketing hype.

If we really look at the world around us, we'd see how unimportant a new smartphone really is.  Society isn't quite there yet, but I hope it is a fast shift.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 5/19/2023 at 12:36 AM, igormp said:

S22 that I got basically for free after my previous S10e died under extended warranty. I like small phones and am not a fan of iOS.

Pondering about upgrading to the S23 256gb version, I could do so by next to nothing, and would have a better battery life and double my current storage, hmmmm

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, igormp said:

and would have a better battery life

What is the. battery size, I bet putting stock android on it with https://LineageOS.org

could TRIPLE the battery runtime!

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

Just now, E-waste said:

What is the. battery size, I bet putting stock android on it with https://LineageOS.org

could TRIPLE the battery runtime!

3.7Ah, while the S23 has 3.9Ah but with a SOC that's more efficient, so it nets some noticeable extra runtime.

Also, long are the times where I liked to mess with this kind of stuff (not like it's even supported on newer Samsung phones), now I would rather have my phone fully stock, and there's still the extra 128gb that would come handy.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, igormp said:

fully stock

That's not what you get when you buy android devices.  Samsung has heavily customized the UI, added countless programs many of which you cannot remove, and added many features.  I know what you mean, but your device is far from stock.  It's Samsung or whoever's idea of how they want the device to operate and the services they want to include.

LineageOS is literally AOSP stock android straight from Google, just with extra functionality, like being able to adjust the RGB color settings and it doesn't come with anything related to google services.

Software suggestions

50 minutes ago, E-waste said:

That's not what you get when you buy android devices.  Samsung has heavily customized the UI, added countless programs many of which you cannot remove, and added many features.  I know what you mean, but your device is far from stock.  It's Samsung or whoever's idea of how they want the device to operate and the services they want to include.

Well, you know that I meant stock as in the default that samsung gave me, which I do like and make use of.

50 minutes ago, E-waste said:

LineageOS is literally AOSP stock android straight from Google, just with extra functionality, like being able to adjust the RGB color settings and it doesn't come with anything related to google services.

By your own definition, it's not stock, the only stock android would be AOSP itself lol

Anyhow, I used to use Lineage and now I see no reason to, and this discussion is pretty much off-topic at this point, so I guess it's best for us to stop it here.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

Google Pixel 5, got it as a refurbished phone earlier this year to replace my Pixel 3.

3 hours ago, random person from ohio said:

Google Pixel 5, got it as a refurbished phone earlier this year to replace my Pixel 3.

I realize I am in this thread quite a bit.  I'm really trying to get a main or common reason people switch phones, I hope it's not too annoying, I just want to understand it better.

Was there a major issue with your previous device, or did a new feature pull you in to an upgrade?  My signature mentions LineageOS, and with enough communtiy support, can provide software support past 5 years, possibly.  It seems likely as these phones are easier to unlock the bootloader than many other devices.

Software suggestions

12 hours ago, E-waste said:

I realize I am in this thread quite a bit.  I'm really trying to get a main or common reason people switch phones, I hope it's not too annoying, I just want to understand it better.

Was there a major issue with your previous device, or did a new feature pull you in to an upgrade?  My signature mentions LineageOS, and with enough communtiy support, can provide software support past 5 years, possibly.  It seems likely as these phones are easier to unlock the bootloader than many other devices.

I bought it because it was a good deal (under $120) and having a 90hz display with nearly no bezels seemed like it would be nice (and it is). I specifically chose a Pixel as they seem to have the most custom ROM development, I have both it and the Pixel 3 running CalyxOS.

14 hours ago, E-waste said:

Before I switched to Apple at about the two year mark most of my Android devices had some kind of software issues or hardware issues. I’m not in to rooting or flashing ROMs. Which is why I went iPhone. I may upgrade to a new iPhone this year if they switch to type C, otherwise I’ll upgrade when the phone stops doing what I need or Apple stops supporting the device. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Poco X3 Pro (8/256) got it just over a year ago, for around $240.

New in box.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Iphone 12, just got it cheap buying time for the new USB-C Iphone later this year.

Gonna leave this here. NO ONE should buy any android phone for any reason IMO....

I won't even listen to any single argument saying android is better/even/even just slightly worse than Apple Iphones. I simply remove myself from that conversation as it's not worth arguing with people the vast majority of the time. Android's are just unequivocally universally worse than Iphones. Not even an Apple "fanboy" per se, it's just the superior product. I was an android fanboy for YEARS, hated the idea of ever having an "isheep" device. I used my Girlfriend's (at the time, now wife) Iphone 7 for legitimately 30 seconds and I put up my Galaxy S7 Edge on Ebay that same day and ordered an Iphone 7 plus. Haven't looked back since. I'd rather use a 2-3 year old iphone compared to even a flagship android. Off the top of my head reasons to get an Iphone over android.

More reliable, longer lasting, MUCH longer software updates

More resale value

VASTLY superior software

Faster (I think Apple is about 2-3 SoC's ahead still?)

Better animations

Better native apps

Better privacy

Imessage

Facetime

Apple Watch (android watches are ewaste)

Again, I'll mention my first point again. They just last longer. Every android phone I ever had was useless slow Ewaste that stopped getting updated after two years. My parents have like iphone 6's that still work perfect now in 2023.

It's a brainless decision. Apple>>>>>>>>>Android phones all day and twice on Sunday.

Obviously, it's just my opinion but I simply check out of conversations where people try to argue otherwise, they are naive or just hate Apple because they are Apple. Again, not defending the company but they have the superior product.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

14 minutes ago, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

Iphone 12, just got it cheap buying time for the new USB-C Iphone later this year.

Gonna leave this here. NO ONE should buy any android phone for any reason IMO....

I won't even listen to any single argument saying android is better/even/even just slightly worse than Apple Iphones. I simply remove myself from that conversation as it's not worth arguing with people the vast majority of the time. Android's are just unequivocally universally worse than Iphones. Not even an Apple "fanboy" per se, it's just the superior product. I was an android fanboy for YEARS, hated the idea of ever having an "isheep" device. I used my Girlfriend's (at the time, now wife) Iphone 7 for legitimately 30 seconds and I put up my Galaxy S7 Edge on Ebay that same day and ordered an Iphone 7 plus. Haven't looked back since. I'd rather use a 2-3 year old iphone compared to even a flagship android. Off the top of my head reasons to get an Iphone over android.

More reliable, longer lasting, MUCH longer software updates

More resale value

VASTLY superior software

Faster (I think Apple is about 2-3 SoC's ahead still?)

Better animations

Better native apps

Better privacy

Imessage

Facetime

Apple Watch (android watches are ewaste)

Again, I'll mention my first point again. They just last longer. Every android phone I ever had was useless slow Ewaste that stopped getting updated after two years. My parents have like iphone 6's that still work perfect now in 2023.

It's a brainless decision. Apple>>>>>>>>>Android phones all day and twice on Sunday.

Obviously, it's just my opinion but I simply check out of conversations where people try to argue otherwise, they are naive or just hate Apple because they are Apple. Again, not defending the company but they have the superior product.

>states controversial opinion in a quasi-trolling way

>makes their own opinion seem like a definitive fact

>refuses to take in any disagreeing reply

Yep, really healthy way to put in your opinions on a forum mate.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, igormp said:

>states controversial opinion in a quasi-trolling way

>makes their own opinion seem like a definitive fact

>refuses to take in any disagreeing reply

Yep, really healthy way to put in your opinions on a forum mate.

People generally hate Apple because they are Apple, not their products. It's just not worth arguing. It's almost like politics or the R word. Not worth arguing. Apple vs. Android in that same category nearly.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

19 minutes ago, Deadpool2onBlu-Ray said:

People generally hate Apple because they are Apple, not their products. It's just not worth arguing. It's almost like politics or the R word. Not worth arguing. Apple vs. Android in that same category nearly.

No one in this thread has shown any apple hate, you just brought this out of the blue lol

Could've just gone with your first sentence and left it at that, like many others did.

Lenovo N23 Yoga