What phone are you using in 2023?

Nior2008
7 hours ago, Nalyk said:

What added functionality does what you mentioned offer.

Not mainly about functionality, but software freedom, no google data collection, or related services, possibly longer battery runtime, and possibly, depending on community support, which would be more heavily concentrated if there were not so many different android models, could and usually does offer at least two or three extra years or more of extra android system upgrades, security patches, after official support has stopped.

This support, offered free of charge, could be more if our tech community would settle on a small number of brands, and of those, a select few, (no more than three or four) models of each brand.  This would tighen the focus of android firmware developers publishing LineageOS and other software support. If you have any interest in any of this, start looking at xda forums as soon as possible, as updates will quickly patch the bootloader to be locked and so far, no one has broken the security yet.  Once that happens, you are stuck with "official" software upgrades, and when they stop, you will eventually be force to purchase a new device to continue using new programs.

With that said, my device is still on Android 8.0 and still allows current app support, so it is significantly slower than it is for apple devices, where software support for apps stop after about two years.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

After 5 long years with my LG V30 being on its last legs, I upgraded to an S23+. So far great phone, love the gesture navigation, best thing made. A wonderful phone that I would never but again cause Samsung are just scammers. In fact I've burned all the bridges now and will never buy another Samsung product. Will always only consider their competitors now.

Bad timing for Samsung as well cause I need a new TV, Fridge, Washing machine, Dryer, Dishwasher, Oven, Hob, vacuum cleaner and other appliances. Samsung is now off the list leaving me with Bosch, LG, AEG or Miele.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

13 hours ago, venomtail said:

After 5 long years with my LG V30 being on its last legs,

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-your-lg-v30-and-custom-roms-faq.3927154/

You might want to look for LineageOS support for the samsung device before updates patch unlocking bootloader.

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:20 PM, E-waste said:

This is a tough, nigh impossible argument you put forth!  At what point will you find a device's camera quality acceptable enough to keep and not upgrade?  Is it just continuous improvement?  It seems the physical accessibility of taking out a device nearly always near you for photo capture is unbeatable by any other solution.

The fairphone 4 camera is not very good, it's dark with higher saturation, making things seem even darker.

Fairphone 5 has an odd issue where the preview has too high brightness, vs the capture, but overall camera quality is very good:

https://www.dxomark.com/fairphone-5-camera-test/

So, there are options to have your phone and keep it too!  For moments when you can take a regular camera with you, that would likely have far better quality than a smartphone, but most people don't want two devices and having everything in one device is just the current reality.

I wouldn’t say nigh-on impossible. Really, the goal is mirrorless camera quality with enough zoom to cover many shooting situations. Physical sensor sizes do limit the potential in some respects, but computational photography is rapidly closing that gap.

9 hours ago, E-waste said:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-your-lg-v30-and-custom-roms-faq.3927154/

You might want to look for LineageOS support for the samsung device before updates patch unlocking bootloader.

Hardware on the phone is near dead.

• OLED has severe burn in.
  • Numerous dead pixels.
  • Batter health is at  40%.
  • Headphone port is loose and green.
  • Charging port is loose.
  • Volume down sometimes doesn't work.
  • Fingerprint scanner is dead.
  • Back panel is coming off.
  • Back and front glass is smashed.
  • Camera is cracked.
  • Rear Camera is blurry because of cracked glass over it.
  • Front camera is blurry cause cracked glass is over it.
  • Probs something else I've forgotten...

Nothing a rooted OS will solve. Phone has served end of life. Was a good one at that. Shame LG left the market. Really enjoyed the HI-FI headphone jack.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Samsung Galaxy A52. I have it for around 4 years now and it still works fine. Fast charging decided to not exist anymore for unknown reasons but other than that nothing ever broke, despite it having to hold up to my (mostly) unintentional abuse.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

On 10/3/2023 at 6:13 AM, Average nerd said:

Fast charging decided to not exist anymore

It wears out your battery with high-heat charging.  You'll have a higher capacity battery overtime using a slow usb cable, which may take as much as 8 hours to charge your battery.  It can help even more to not drain below 15-20% and not charge past about 75%.

Software suggestions

9 hours ago, E-waste said:

It wears out your battery with high-heat charging.

That makes sense, what confuses me about that phenomenon is that it has been claiming to fast charge on the same 10W powerbrick I´m charging it with now, and now it doesn´t say "Fast Charging (estimated time to 100%)" anymore, but only "Charging (estimated time to 100%)", the charging time remained more or less the same though.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

• 2 weeks later...

Galaxy S22 128GB Phantom Black. Probably going to keep it until the S25 comes out and then will upgrade to it shortly after when my carrier gives me a sweet deal.

iPhone 14 Pro, probably wait until the 16 or 17 to upgrade now. Though I’m not a fan of the titanium, I think it’s a very poor material to build a phone from and 100% inspired by marketing so they can somehow differentiate the 15 from the 14 and 13. 

Still my S10e that I bought used.

What can I do, I like the size.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Poco X3 Pro

NIB for $200 at the start of 2022

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

I have a pixel 6 pro.  There are only two issues I have.  First 128GB was once very good for me but now I wish for more.  Also, in the sun during summer it overheats so fast.  Didn't happen last summer but it was like 105 EVERY SINGLE DAY so I really didn't spend that much time out during the middle of the day.  Thinking about just getting a 512GB Pixel 7 pro it's like net $200-250 maybe $300 after ebay fees.

I haven't had an iPhone since the 3g.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 10/23/2023 at 4:53 PM, ewitte said:

Thinking about just getting a 512GB Pixel 7 pro it's like net $200-250 maybe $300 after ebay fees.

Seems like it would be more economical to use a device with expandable storage instead of purchasing a new device when you need more.

Software suggestions

On 10/24/2023 at 4:24 PM, E-waste said:

Seems like it would be more economical to use a device with expandable storage instead of purchasing a new device when you need more.

That would be if they still made devices like that, that people want anyway.  Plus, I always had issues with secondary storage not acting right (slower as well).  Generally, things like pictures are fine but apps don't always behave right.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Nokia Lumia 830 and a Xiaomi Mi 12

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

On 10/24/2023 at 2:24 PM, E-waste said:

It would be great if more high end devices still included expandable storage, but sadly that's not the market we have these days.

2 hours ago, NavyCobra1417 said:

devices still included expandable storage

Sony brand includes sd slots, and, no camera notxhes!  And unlockable bootloaders with specific instruction.

Software suggestions

24 minutes ago, E-waste said:

Sony brand includes sd slots, and, no camera notxhes!  And unlockable bootloaders with specific instruction.

Yes, they are one of the few remaining who include such features in flagship devices.

I don't think the camera hole punch is that big of a deal. You really do stop noticing it after maybe a day or two.

They also cost well over $1000 for the Xperia 1 family 🥲

4 hours ago, NavyCobra1417 said:

cost well over $1000

WOW!  Yeah, that's a bit much for a minature computer.  So if you want a guarenteed unlockable bootloader, sd card reader and an exceptional DAC chip, then go with one of the previous models, like the X, or the Z.

I think any phone over about 5" screen is way, way too unweildy.  In fact, I used to have a 4.7" android way back, and, I still could not operate it with just my thumb and still think that is too large.

I would like to try the really outdated 3G palm pre pebble devices, which had 3.1" screens.  Firefox branded models had 3.5" to 4" screens.  I think the keyboard buttons are way too small and an idiotic design, similar to the old windows mobile and blackberry devices, and for that reason, make on-screen keyboards far superior.

https://m.gsmarena.com/palm_pre-2726.php

Being able to operate a screen with one thumb would be great, especially in an emergency.

Software suggestions

4 minutes ago, E-waste said:

I think any phone over about 5" screen is way, way too unweildy.

That's gotta be rough with the current market 

Fortunately for me, I migrated to phablets years ago and am comfortable with screens up to 6.8" diagonal.

One handed use would certainly be nice to have again, but I'll personally take the trade off with advantages (media consumption, mobile productivity) aided by large screen phones.

Cat S61 bought on release and dropped on all sorts of surfaces so it looks adequately used with dented and scratched frame. 

Pixel 3a refurb bought this month, and force fed Ubuntu Touch, to test the waters to see if I can jump ship from Android. And yes, I will definitely never buy another android device. 

On 10/27/2023 at 6:27 AM, Ulvhamne said:

Pixel 3a refurb bought this month, and force fed Ubuntu Touch, to test the waters to see if I can jump ship from Android.

How do programs like spotify and podcast programs work?

Software suggestions

15 hours ago, E-waste said:

How do programs like spotify and podcast programs work?

Depends greatly on the level of support in the middleware layer, and since most programs do not have a proper version written by the company, you'll have to run them in waydroid. So far everything except TomTom GO has worked in waydroid for me. My government ID app, my banking app, spotify, parking apps and so on. There are some rough edges, but it works well enough for me to jump off the creepy spy daddy train. 

The native apps are a bit hobbyist, like how apps were in Android when it first hit a wider customer base but they work. I've been pondering actually looking into using the TomTom SDK to write a native app for myself. But, lazy. And also, I'd get UI code all over mysellf. 

It's definitely not for everyone, but I've lived most of my geek life being in the quirky edge zone with Linux, BSD and such stuff. But if the manufacturers start making phones with Ubuntu Touch (or the other ones that use the same middleware) then the customer base might grow and the app base will follow.