Off Topic Chit Chat

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Really? Please do not start another one of these threads. Also its common knowledge PC beats Mac in almost every respect. Sorry but facts are facts. Better user interface, up gradable pathways, costs, compatibility, and everything else. Just stop with this, Mac is only being argued because it has an Apple logo on it that fanboys druel over. 

Alright guys, we have a hardcore over here.

Listen, chill.  I think we can all say we like PC's.  As I said before, people use Mac for a basic UI, better battery life, it's design and how portable it is.  It's not built for gaming or extremely heavy programs. 

For example, I'm using a Macbook Pro right now because I'm at school doing work- but when I get home I'll be using the PC I built (in signature). 

It depends what you're using it for.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

12 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Really? Please do not start another one of these threads. Also its common knowledge PC beats Mac in almost every respect. Sorry but facts are facts. Better user interface, up gradable pathways, costs, compatibility, and everything else. Just stop with this, Mac is only being argued because it has an Apple logo on it that fanboys drule over. 

Edit: Those saying Macbooks are good for school work for like note taking and battery life? Just get a cheaper Chromebook that can be used for the same purpose for 1/4 of the costs. Also they have better battery life and are easier to use. 

Sorry, but how exactly is hating something with a passion better than fanboying over it? I think everyone should have an open mind about any tech. It's the same with iOS and Android. I still don't understand why people are a fanboy of one or the other and hate the other one so much.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

42 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

And im changing my friends minds about Nvidia. I know your pain.

I like both amd and nvidia, I have a 970 gpu and an amd cpu

• CPU AMD FX 8320E  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P  RAM 8 GB Hyper X Fury 1866 mhz  GPU GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC  Case Antryx Verom  Storage 120 GB Kingston v300 and 1Tb Hard Drive  PSU Cooler Master GX750 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus  Mouse Logitech G602 and Roccat Kova  Operating System Windows 10

I didnt mean starting a war, I dont hate mac I just think pc is better and I want to win the debate.

• CPU AMD FX 8320E  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P  RAM 8 GB Hyper X Fury 1866 mhz  GPU GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC  Case Antryx Verom  Storage 120 GB Kingston v300 and 1Tb Hard Drive  PSU Cooler Master GX750 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus  Mouse Logitech G602 and Roccat Kova  Operating System Windows 10

As with @LinusTech's answer for every "which is better" video: It Depends.

There is not cut and dry "better" choice, and there never will be. Every person needs to evaluate what their needs are, what their desires are (likes/preferences), and then weigh the two against each other and the market and determine for themselves what is the best fits for their situation. Don't try to force your opinions on other people - just do what you can to educate them on the FACTS and let them make the decision for themselves.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

So to answer the question, reasons why PCs are better:

- Compatibility. There are infinitely more programs and devices that will work with Windows than with OS X due to marketshare and legacy.

- Familiarity. Most people's first PC will be Windows due to school/work/home.

- Gaming. No explanation needed.

- Price - not necessarily laptops these days as ultrabooks are getting jut as expensive as Macbooks, but for desktops being able to build your own is much cheaper than a iMac/Mini or Mac Pro.

However there are downsides you will have to face:

- More vulnerable to attack, more malware out there.

- Stagnation. Why are businesses still using XP?

- They don't just work.

- Windows is expensive (apart from the 12month promotion) - every OS X for the past few years and likely to come is free. 

- Very unclear future - Windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 has been a bit of a bumpy road, and the desire to merge and unify every windows device is not an easy task.

- Even their Surface line have some bizarre bugs which they really shouldn't as MS control hardware and software. 

Other than games, I don't think software is really an issue these days. To say "Macs are for pros or creatives" is silly as pretty much every professional/creative program is available to both systems. 

4 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

So to answer the question, reasons why PCs are better:

- Compatibility. There are infinitely more programs and devices that will work with Windows than with OS X due to marketshare and legacy.

- Familiarity. Most people's first PC will be Windows due to school/work/home.

- Gaming. No explanation needed.

- Price - not necessarily laptops these days as ultrabooks are getting jut as expensive as Macbooks, but for desktops being able to build your own is much cheaper than a iMac/Mini or Mac Pro.

However there are downsides you will have to face:

- More vulnerable to attack, more malware out there.

- Stagnation. Why are businesses still using XP?

- They don't just work.

- Windows is expensive (apart from the 12month promotion) - every OS X for the past few years and likely to come is free. 

- Very unclear future - Windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 has been a bit of a bumpy road, and the desire to merge and unify every windows device is not an easy task.

- Even their Surface line have some bizarre bugs which they really shouldn't as MS control hardware and software. 

Other than games, I don't think software is really an issue these days. To say "Macs are for pros or creatives" is silly as pretty much every professional/creative program is available to both systems. 

Not knocking down your points (they're all preatty valid), I just am trying to help spread the word on a common PC/Mac myth. Macs actually arent any less vulnerable to attacks than PCs, the only reason they historically have lower numbers in security breaches is simply because no one was writing malicious code for them. There has been a significant spike in attacks on OSX systems in the last few months, particularly with ransomware. Just something to keep in mind.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Just now, DevilishBooster said:

Not knocking down your points (they're all preatty valid), I just am trying to help spread the word on a common PC/Mac myth. Macs actually arent any less vulnerable to attacks than PCs, the only reason they historically have lower numbers in security breaches is simply because no one was writing malicious code for them. There has been a significant spike in attacks on OSX systems in the last few months, particularly with ransomware. Just something to keep in mind.

Depends on how you see it. If I have 1,000,000 viruses trying to break in vs 1,000 I would say I'm less vulnerable to attack. 

13 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Depends on how you see it. If I have 1,000,000 viruses trying to break in vs 1,000 I would say I'm less vulnerable to attack. 

From a statistical view, yeah you can argue that. That doesn't change the fact that the security holes in the software are still there. The problem is that when someone says "Macs are less vulnerable to virus'/malware attacks" most people mistakenly think that they mean the operating system is more secure, which is false. It's an important distinction to make.

END OF LINE

Seems this is the best place to post muh question

I need an indoor plant that here in my room that could somehow siphon some heat from the computer. my room has terrible air flow so to speak. I'd be happy even if it just drops 2 degrees of heat here.

oh crap I was wondering how this suddenly jumped up 3 pages when it normally gets like 1 post per day... then I saw the Mac v PC post and I knew... RIP :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 hours ago, Jibran_Syed said:

heylo ltt ppl

Hoy, I'm lazy!

Hello ma, hello pa, I'm on the interwebs. -LazySpeck

5 hours ago, Tosa said:

Side-by-side comparing the performance of my SSD with my HDD is just funny. And pointless.SSDvsHDD.png.616af9becce99bb72c04f3f5f2e

This is why WD is buying SanDisk :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, Jibran_Syed said:

im working on mah school progect rite now

Good luck!

Hello ma, hello pa, I'm on the interwebs. -LazySpeck

On 3/21/2016 at 0:24 PM, kidlat020 said:

I need an indoor plant that here in my room that could somehow siphon some heat from the computer. my room has terrible air flow so to speak. I'd be happy even if it just drops 2 degrees of heat here.

I'd recommend a cactus. Incredibly easy to maintain and won't have you worrying about taking care of it every day. Plus they grow fairly slow so you won't ever need to downgrade once it gets too big.

On 21/03/2016 at 10:24 AM, kidlat020 said:

Wait what I didn't see this question.  Sorry, that is physically impossible.  Simply having an object (plant, whatever) in the room can not magically "syphon some heat" out of the air.

couldn't be bothered to get up from bed, so I was just laying there when I thought I saw the forecast tile in my Windows phone say "Skynet" (like in the terminator movie). After a closer look, it actually said "skyet", which means "clouded" in Norwegian.

Linus,

If you see this,

I want to know how much you guys want for all of those sturdy boxes like the laptop boxes and Razer boxes.

Because dear god I need some clutter.

"Aw shucks, man. If ya hadn't a put that thing there, ya might not'a messed it up!"

>"Well where's the problem?"

"'Tween the Computer and the Chair. Error ID-Ten-T, I call it."

>"I don't get it."

For all those times you've eateneggs for breakfast and wondered how they are made:

Yummy?

Linus is my fetish.