Took off CPU cooler to check on new thermal paste (if i used too much or too little), Do i need to reapply?

So yesterday i bought a noctuna nt-h1 for my i5-11400, i applied it and yes temps did change a lot even with the stock cooler. i applied it yesterday and i took the cpu cooler off today because i felt like i applied too much but nope it perfectly is spread across the CPU surface and fan base. Do i need to re-apply tho since i took the heatsink off ? or is it good to go ?

2 minutes ago, FoxyZey said:

So yesterday i bought a noctuna nt-h1 for my i5-11400, i applied it and yes temps did change a lot even with the stock cooler. i applied it yesterday and i took the cpu cooler off today because i felt like i applied too much but nope it perfectly is spread across the CPU surface and fan base. Do i need to re-apply tho since i took the heatsink off ? or is it good to go ?

U should be fine

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

It is generally recommended to clean and reapply thermal paste if you remove the heatsink after the first application.

This is because removing the heat sink may result in air bubbles or uneven coverage, which can affect thermal performance.

On the other hand, you can leave it and it will work fine for you.

8 minutes ago, FoxyZey said:

I get super lazy all the time when doing this and just dab a bit more around it just in case. If its a non-conductive thermal paste (unlike Artic Silver 5) there's really no way to apply too much. The pressure from the heatsink will displace any extra and just goop it around the edges. 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

15 minutes ago, Agall said:

I get super lazy all the time when doing this and just dab a bit more around it just in case. If its a non-conductive thermal paste (unlike Artic Silver 5) there's really no way to apply too much. The pressure from the heatsink will displace any extra and just goop it around the edges. 

Well i honestly just re-applied it. Does this look too much?? I did apply a similar amount like that the last time. 

IMG20230426163223.jpg

4 minutes ago, FoxyZey said:

Well i honestly just re-applied it. Does this look too much?? I did apply a similar amount like that the last time. 

IMG20230426163223.jpg

You could spread it out, I usually do the speckle maneuver so I get good coverage. A lot of thermal paste kits come with a card or spoon to spread it out a bit, otherwise its hard to tell.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

5 minutes ago, FoxyZey said:

IMG20230426163223.jpg

It's fine

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Just now, Agall said:

You could spread it out, I usually do the speckle maneuver so I get good coverage. A lot of thermal paste kits come with a card or spoon to spread it out a bit, otherwise its hard to tell.

Unfortunately mine didn't, and The Nt-H1 box recommends NOT to spread it so idk.

4 minutes ago, FoxyZey said:

Unfortunately mine didn't, and The Nt-H1 box recommends NOT to spread it so idk.

And the box is right as the cpu has an ihs

Think those spreaders are more meant for gpus where you have to cover the entire die otherwise youll have garbage hotspot temps

No such thing as too much, but tbf i am literally just squandering my 30g tub of gd900 that cost a whopping 2$ and theres still a ton left. Just gotta find a better thermal paste

11 minutes ago, FoxyZey said:

If it is too much it will be squeezed out, if it's too little it will overheat.

If it squeezes out - As long as it doesn't get into the socket you will be fine.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

If it is too much it will be squeezed out, if it's too little it will overheat.

If it squeezes out - As long as it doesn't get into the socket you will be fine.

Here is my paranoid ass telling me to take off my heatsink to check. Lmfao. Should i?

1 minute ago, FoxyZey said:

Here is my paranoid ass telling me to take off my heatsink to check. Lmfao. Should i?

No, Just leave it be.

Anyway, You can see from the outside if it squeezed out without taking it off.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

9 minutes ago, FoxyZey said:

Stop wasting more of your precious time to be paranoid about paste amount and use it to enjoy your PC instead. 😜

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Stop wasting more of your precious time to be paranoid about paste amount and use it to enjoy your PC instead. 😜

Worst case he removes it, checks, and just dabs a bit more in a couple of spots like I do. I think its fine to check if he's paranoid that its not reaching the whole IHS, even though for Intel, it really just needs to be in a line.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500