Slow boot up time on 7800x3d, normal?

TheMidnightNarwhal
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Welcome to AM5 Boot times. This is normal. Until the Bios update brings them down, thats pretty normal from what ive seen

Hey everyone. I upgraded my CPU to a 7800x3d and of course had to change motherboard (ASUS b650 gaming plus wifi) and get some DDR5 RAM (Corsair vengeance 16GB DDR5 RAM (32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz C36). My issue is that with this new setup, my boots are much slower than before. I just timed it and it's a total of 58 seconds until I hit the windows lock screen. Before it was much quicker, at most 30 to 40. Also it takes 40 second alone just to see the BIOS boot logo. I noticed during the first 20 seconds, the Q-LEDS for my MOBO shows that it hangs on the RAM. Also for context, my OS is on a Samsung EVO plus m.2 

Is this normal? I was reading a bit how it seems to be slower for the first boot for some kind of RAM learning process with zen 4 but I'd say my boot ups has always been the same time since the start. Idk if maybe something is up with my MOBO? I unforutnely cannot return it as I got it on sale 2 months ago waiting for the 7800x3d so idk if I should start a ticket with ASUS and might be a waste of time, figured I would check with others here first. 

13 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Welcome to AM5 Boot times. This is normal. Until the Bios update brings them down, thats pretty normal from what ive seen

Ahh ok alright thanks 

19 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Hey everyone. I upgraded my CPU to a 7800x3d and of course had to change motherboard (ASUS b650 gaming plus wifi) and get some DDR5 RAM (Corsair vengeance 16GB DDR5 RAM (32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz C36). My issue is that with this new setup, my boots are much slower than before. I just timed it and it's a total of 58 seconds until I hit the windows lock screen. Before it was much quicker, at most 30 to 40. Also it takes 40 second alone just to see the BIOS boot logo. I noticed during the first 20 seconds, the Q-LEDS for my MOBO shows that it hangs on the RAM. Also for context, my OS is on a Samsung EVO plus m.2 

Is this normal? I was reading a bit how it seems to be slower for the first boot for some kind of RAM learning process with zen 4 but I'd say my boot ups has always been the same time since the start. Idk if maybe something is up with my MOBO? I unforutnely cannot return it as I got it on sale 2 months ago waiting for the 7800x3d so idk if I should start a ticket with ASUS and might be a waste of time, figured I would check with others here first. 

DDR5 does a sort of memory training on startup, so the BOOT times are notoriously long in comparison.

Its normal, but will get better over time in my experience. My BOOT times are shorter now than when I first built the machine months ago.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

27 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Hi, try this too. Look for a setting in BIOS setup called memory context restore. This saves on boot times by skipping memory training after the first few boots to lower boot time.

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But  the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,  770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...

YEah its normal, my 3600 handsomely breat my BF's 7700X on start up.

By the way, if you ware upgrading to a 7800X3D and encounter performance problem, you might need to do a clean install on Windows. GN reported they had that problem when testing their 7800X3D.

2 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

YEah its normal, my 3600 handsomely breat my BF's 7700X on start up.

By the way, if you ware upgrading to a 7800X3D and encounter performance problem, you might need to do a clean install on Windows. GN reported they had that problem when testing their 7800X3D.

Oh yeah I did a fresh install with this new hardware. 

2 hours ago, Trinity-W said:

Hi, try this too. Look for a setting in BIOS setup called memory context restore. This saves on boot times by skipping memory training after the first few boots to lower boot time.

Holyyyy this improved it a lot! Hit the BIOS boot screen at 17 seconds and was fully in Windows at 31 seconds. Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Holyyyy this improved it a lot! Hit the BIOS boot screen at 17 seconds and was fully in Windows at 31 seconds. Thanks! 

Great! that is good. Have a happy one.

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But  the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,  770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...