Screwdriver Bits PC

Florian Nagl
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,

For assembling a PC, you would only need a PH2 (or PH1) Phillips screwdriver which would be used for general case screws (if they're not thumbscrews), securing the motherboard, and securing case fans.

Additionally, you would need a PH0 (or PH00 ?) for the tiny screw used to secure M.2 drives. This may be unnecessary if the motherboard uses a plastic swiveling latch.

As an extra, you could purchase diagonal cutters and cable ties for cable management. I find removing a GPU difficult and I always find myself grabbing one of iFixits plastic spudgers for applying a concentrated force on the GPU release lever, or securing the annoying motherboard pins for case LEDs.

If you’re buying the LTT screwdriver for only building a PC, you’re wasting money because the only bits you'd use from it are the PH bits. I think the screwdriver shaft isn't even narrow enough for some motherboard screws and PCIe screws too.

Hello LTT forum,

I am building my first PC soon and I'm buying the LTT Screwdriver for building it.

My question is:

What additional set of bits do you recommend for building a PC? Are the bits provided by default enough to build a PC?

Thank you in advance and have a pleasant day!

It looks like the LTT screwdriver comes with a "Number 2 Phillips" bit. That's to my knowledge the only bit you really need to build a PC.

Every time I build a computer/upgrade I so happen to grab the same basic "#2 philips" driver and it does all I need.

PS

oof.. black shaft is no longer available... 😞

For assembling a PC, you would only need a PH2 (or PH1) Phillips screwdriver which would be used for general case screws (if they're not thumbscrews), securing the motherboard, and securing case fans.

Additionally, you would need a PH0 (or PH00 ?) for the tiny screw used to secure M.2 drives. This may be unnecessary if the motherboard uses a plastic swiveling latch.

As an extra, you could purchase diagonal cutters and cable ties for cable management. I find removing a GPU difficult and I always find myself grabbing one of iFixits plastic spudgers for applying a concentrated force on the GPU release lever, or securing the annoying motherboard pins for case LEDs.

If you’re buying the LTT screwdriver for only building a PC, you’re wasting money because the only bits you'd use from it are the PH bits. I think the screwdriver shaft isn't even narrow enough for some motherboard screws and PCIe screws too.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

The only other bit you may want that the LTT Screwdriver doesn't come with is a 5mm (or M3) nut driver. That's a common size for motherboard standoffs and port screws. (Sometimes they'll be the closest Imperial equivalent, but the Metric driver usually works well enough on those.)

The Screwdriver just uses a standard 1/4-hex bit shank, so you can always pick up a generic set and use that. They won't fit in the handle bit holder, and the magnetic grip might be lessened by the extra length, but they'll work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/LDEXIN-Quick-Change-Driver-Adapter-Detents/dp/B07CYMR11Y

You can always just use pliers to tighten the standoffs too; if you do that, start them with your fingers first so you don't cross-thread them.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2023 at 5:28 AM, Needfuldoer said:

The only other bit you may want that the LTT Screwdriver doesn't come with is a 5mm (or M3) nut driver. That's a common size for motherboard standoffs and port screws. (Sometimes they'll be the closest Imperial equivalent, but the Metric driver usually works well enough on those.)

The Screwdriver just uses a standard 1/4-hex bit shank, so you can always pick up a generic set and use that. They won't fit in the handle bit holder, and the magnetic grip might be lessened by the extra length, but they'll work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/LDEXIN-Quick-Change-Driver-Adapter-Detents/dp/B07CYMR11Y

You can always just use pliers to tighten the standoffs too; if you do that, start them with your fingers first so you don't cross-thread them.

I know this post is a bit old at this point, however...I was just (re)building a PC for a friend of mine, and noticed that the previous builder did not tighten ANY of the standoffs...they weren't even close.  I had my trusty LTT screwdriver with me, but not that silly standoff driver with the phillips head (you know the one).  I was forced to use a pliers, which isn't as clean...or easy.  I thought...why didn't LTT include a driver for these in the default kit???  I may have to find some cheap driver set and cut one down to fit in the handle.

• 2 months later...

I waited to say anything again to see if this issue was ever addressed...as I have given LTTSTORE.COM as my single place for christmas shopping this year...I was really hoping the bit options had improved....evidently Jake is the obnly person with pull around there...as I notice there's punchdown bits for networking...but still no mobo standoff bits....some cases and water cooling will need hex bits...but ALL pc build(yes linus, I caps'ed one word....no I'm not going to pick grass...I'd like to see you do the same thing in January, if that's what one should do instead of caps'ing) will use motherboard standoffs...

To Whom it may concern:

May we please have an offering of motherboard standoff bits someday with the "specialty" bit at the very least ?