Intel Exiting OEM Server Market

Lurick

Summary

Intel has confirmed it is exiting the OEM server business and selling that business unit to MiTAC. This is not to say they're stopping the CPU production for servers just the rebranding of ODM servers and whatnot.

Quotes

In line with Intel’s continued efforts to prioritize investments in its IDM 2.0 strategy, we have made the difficult decision to exit our Data Center Solutions Group (DSG). As part of this plan, MiTAC, an edge-to-cloud IT solutions provider and longstanding ODM partner of DSG, will have the right to manufacture and sell products based on our designs. We are focused on ensuring the DSG team and its stakeholders are supported during this transition. (Source: Intel Spokesperson to STH)

My thoughts

This isn't completely surprising given the recent rumors but the fact they're exiting the OEM server space is still something of a shock to some. This isn't to say they are leaving the Server CPU market by any means as that would be suicide to their business, just the OEM chassis portion is going.

Sources

https://www.servethehome.com/breaking-intel-exiting-the-server-business-selling-to-mitac/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I didn't even know Intel sold entire systems lol

Selling it off sounds like a good decision, I doubt it brought much of a profit to them.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

Selling it off sounds like a good decision, I doubt it brought much of a profit to them.

Intel ODM servers used to be very wide spread. Over time that market drifted more and more over to Supermicro, Quanta, Inspur etc. I still have an Intel server sold as an Intel server (LGA1366 gen). They were a nice way of getting a good design with reliably well implemented firmware for cheap on the used market that didn't come with any proprietary things that HPE/Dell/IMB/Lenovo did. 

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Intel ODM servers used to be very wide spread. Over time that market drifted more and more over to Supermicro, Quanta, Inspur etc. I still have an Intel server sold as an Intel server (LGA1366 gen). They were a nice way of getting a good design with reliably well implemented firmware for cheap on the used market that didn't come with any proprietary things that HPE/Dell/IMB/Lenovo did. 

Come to think of it, I guess ODM servers weren't never that big here, in most places here it'll probably be from one of the big brands. 

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, igormp said:

Dont tell em about Intel motherboards, lol.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

I had a LGA775 haha

Lenovo N23 Yoga

8 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

i still miss their boards, they were ugly AF and sometime the feature set was odd but they were built like tanks, amazing for budget setups.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Every non-whitebox server appliance I've seen for years has been a SuperMicro or debadged Dell PowerEdge. I can't even remember the last Intel server I saw...

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

9 hours ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

i still miss their boards, they were ugly AF and sometime the feature set was odd but they were built like tanks, amazing for budget setups.

Yeah, Intel boards always felt like they were physically reliable and had a BIOS that worked.

I loathe modern BIOS's where you can't even set the voltage anymore without playing a roulette game of "maybe it'll decide +0 offset means 1.7V"

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Yeah, Intel boards always felt like they were physically reliable and had a BIOS that worked.

I loathe modern BIOS's where you can't even set the voltage anymore without playing a roulette game of "maybe it'll decide +0 offset means 1.7V"

Honestly that is the most frustrating thing. You input something into the bios and then you look at your monitoring software and it's completely different and aren't sure what is wrong the bios or your monitoring software. It's why I don't mess with the bios other than setting xmp profiles anymore. Not worth the hassle and potential instability to mess with things. I mean even when I did use to overclock I always had the issue where my system would be stable 99% of the time but I will still have my computer randomly crash on me like once a week vs stock it would never be an issue. It's incredibly hard to test an overclock for those random fringe situations that sometimes happen that makes your system crash often enough to make it annoying but not often enough to be really considered unstable. I mean if your system passes basically every synthetic test you give it but still get random crashes every so often not much you can really do tbh other than tweak settings hoping you will go two weeks without crashing instead of one. But at the end of the day I had to ask myself was it worth all the headache for maybe 10% increase in performance at best?

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly that is the most frustrating thing. You input something into the bios and then you look at your monitoring software and it's completely different and aren't sure what is wrong the bios or your monitoring software. It's why I don't mess with the bios other than setting xmp profiles anymore. Not worth the hassle and potential instability to mess with things. I mean even when I did use to overclock I always had the issue where my system would be stable 99% of the time but I will still have my computer randomly crash on me like once a week vs stock it would never be an issue. It's incredibly hard to test an overclock for those random fringe situations that sometimes happen that makes your system crash often enough to make it annoying but not often enough to be really considered unstable. I mean if your system passes basically every synthetic test you give it but still get random crashes every so often not much you can really do tbh other than tweak settings hoping you will go two weeks without crashing instead of one. But at the end of the day I had to ask myself was it worth all the headache for maybe 10% increase in performance at best?

Same.  I set XMP and assume that's all the mobo designer ever really "validated" to be stable.  Everything else feels like they're just checking a box that they integrated it from a firmware package provided by Intel/AMD but didn't test it or document it.

I do miss the days of 50% overclocks (E8400 shoutout) but Intel/NV/AMD all realized it's profitable to do it from the factory.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Same.  I set XMP and assume that's all the mobo designer ever really "validated" to be stable.  Everything else feels like they're just checking a box that they integrated it from a firmware package provided by Intel/AMD but didn't test it or document it.

I do miss the days of 50% overclocks (E8400 shoutout) but Intel/NV/AMD all realized it's profitable to do it from the factory.

dont even think its that close to 10% unless you buying some expensive cooling and alot of time

I miss the huge overclocks and silicon lottery

was like gambling and playing a game

I was kinda playing the undervolt and maybe a slight downclock  as the same game along with checking voltages because couple boards seem to come set  to high voltage on auto with whatever bios first shipped with board

i'm all about keeping it 75-80

otherwise I go into bios for xmp, cpu fan curve, boot order, pcie gen, small other things that really dont matter but just to check

last cpu i had some fun oc'n was 5600x maybe 5% lol

gave up on gpus entirely

6 hours ago, pas008 said:

dont even think its that close to 10% unless you buying some expensive cooling and alot of time

I miss the huge overclocks and silicon lottery

was like gambling and playing a game

I was kinda playing the undervolt and maybe a slight downclock  as the same game along with checking voltages because couple boards seem to come set  to high voltage on auto with whatever bios first shipped with board

i'm all about keeping it 75-80

otherwise I go into bios for xmp, cpu fan curve, boot order, pcie gen, small other things that really dont matter but just to check

last cpu i had some fun oc'n was 5600x maybe 5% lol

gave up on gpus entirely

Oh I an saying 10% is at best. Definitely not something you will see consistently especially when alot of things react differently to increases in frequency. Some things you won't see much of a difference where as other things might be very frequency sensitive in which case then you might see something like 10% uplifts. If you could get higher than 10% consistently then overclocking might be more interesting but there is no way any company would leave that much performance on the table if they can help it even if they have to sell a halo tier product like the KS from Intel.