Fractal Design Define R4 WD Caviar Black relocation help please

calarahil

Below is my  current setup. I have changed a couple of things which I haven't taken photographs for. I have a Xonar Essence STX in my case and I have changed out the h100i fans for Noctua NF-F12's. The bottom hard drive cage is currently housing a WD 1TB Caviar black and a 256 GB samsung 830. What I would like to do is remove the cage, place the ssd on the back of the motherboard tray and move the standard hard drive elsewhere. I myself have a couple of ideas I could move it to the top optical drive bay with a convertor mount from the sizes of bays, I could get a external enclosure ( I really don't want to go this route due to USB interference already sometimes messing with my Blue Yeti) and quite possibly mount the hard drive where the GPU fan cutout is next to the psu.

IMG_3050_zpsa894345d.jpg

IMG_3046_zpse93a9772.jpg

You can put it in the 5 inch pay with a adapter to make the harddrive fit.

Use FrozenCPU's HDD noise reduction system (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3040/noi-05/FrozenCPU_HDD_Noise_Reduction_System.html) as a 5.25" bay adapter and slide it in beneath your optical drive.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Use FrozenCPU's HDD noise reduction system (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3040/noi-05/FrozenCPU_HDD_Noise_Reduction_System.html) as a 5.25" bay adapter and slide it in beneath your optical drive.

Not a half bad idea I might just go ahead and do that. Didn't think they made something like that but I guess you learn something new everyday.

Not a half bad idea I might just go ahead and do that. Didn't think they made something like that but I guess you learn something new everyday.

I use it in my R4. Not only will it adapt the drive to 5.25", it silences vibrations in the process. I have been very pleased with the product.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I use it in my R4. Not only will it adapt the drive to 5.25", it silences vibrations in the process. I have been very pleased with the product.

Yea I saw that very cool. I hate having that cage down at the bottom of my case I figure I can gain some extra airflow this way.

Yea I saw that very cool. I hate having that cage down at the bottom of my case I figure I can gain some extra airflow this way.

It looks cleaner and you'll get a little more airflow, but mounting the solid-state drive to the back of the motherboard tray also means you'll have to remove the motherboard if you ever wish to remove that solid-state drive. If this is a concern though, you could always use Velcro instead.

It looks cleaner and you'll get a little more airflow, but mounting the solid-state drive to the back of the motherboard tray also means you'll have to remove the motherboard if you ever wish to remove that solid-state drive. If this is a concern though, you could always use Velcro instead.

What would you do? Would you use velcro? I know I would have to remove the board to put the SSD behind the tray I'd have to find free time to do it but yea I could do that. Either way is honestly fine with me.

What would you do? Would you use velcro? I know I would have to remove the board to put the SSD behind the tray I'd have to find free time to do it but yea I could do that. Either way is honestly fine with me.

I did the same thing you're planning to do and ultimately came to regret it. I wound up putting the lower drive cage back in place, which now holds a single solid-state drive. My hard disk drive remains in the 5.25" bay because it's so much quieter with the aforementioned adapter. The answer, I guess, is that I'd either use Velcro or I wouldn't put it on the back of the motherboard tray at all.

I did the same thing you're planning to do and ultimately came to regret it. I wound up putting the lower drive cage back in place, which now holds a single solid-state drive. My hard disk drive remains in the 5.25" bay because it's so much quieter with the aforementioned adapter. The answer, I guess, is that I'd either use Velcro or I wouldn't put it on the back of the motherboard tray at all.

What ended up happening for you to end up regretting it? Would think everything would be fine no?

What ended up happening for you to end up regretting it? Would think everything would be fine no?

It made cable management extra challenging and yes, removing the motherboard to get the drive out was a nightmare on at least one occasion. Nothing serious. I just found it a little too inconvenient as someone who spends a lot of time in his computer.

It made cable management extra challenging and yes, removing the motherboard to get the drive out was a nightmare on at least one occasion. Nothing serious. I just found it a little too inconvenient as someone who spends a lot of time in his computer.

Ah, I gotcha. For me I don't think it will matter one way or the other. I don't really need access to my drives all that often. And its only mounted elsewhere I don't have a issue taking off the back side panel to get access to the drive.