8kHz mouse doesn't work on Windows desktop?

Jet_Mouse

I got a Razer Viper 8k so I could get really smooth mouse motion in osu lazer! Also I modified my client to uncap the fps and game clock to make it run smoother. However, the cursor seems to jump every 5 frames, so I assumed it was a problem with Linux (Ubuntu with KDE). Then, when I tried it in Windows, it had the same thing on both the desktop and during the game, same as with Linux! It seemed fine in a mouse-testing program I was using called MouseComparator though.

(Near the end of the video, when I said it was running at 1000hz, I meant 8000hz)

Earlier when I had thought it was a problem with osu's code, I added some print statements along with timestamps to figure out what was going on. It was receiving 8 mouse updates all at once, every millisecond. That was in Linux, I haven't tested it in Windows, though I bet it would be the same. It seems like for both the Windows desktop, KDE, and SDL2 (the library osu uses), they're polling for new mouse updates once a millisecond even though it's an 8khz mouse. Also I tried compiling the Linux kernel 6.2.10 with the update rate set to 1999hz (the highest it'll go), but it didn't work.

Is anyone else having this same problem? All you need is an 8khz mouse and a 240hz panel (I think since 240*4 is close to 1000, it makes bigger jumps and makes them less frequently, so easier to see). I asked razer support and they told me to do an RMA. I spilled a bit of water on the mouse once, but I really think it's a problem with software, not with my mouse.

Here are some more images, cropped so they don't add up to 20 MB:

IMG_20230409_171233_cropped.thumb.jpg.104c7e7b44a48e8c6aa7b0c1087fdc65.jpgIMG_20230409_163737_cropped.jpg.5c02fff5ab9e12fdd9a038ae33ffd37a.jpg

Both of those pictures were taken in Windows using the 8000hz setting on my mouse.

Let me know what you guys think!

12 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Its a gimmicky crap that generally doesnt do well. In certain shooters it has very little benefit for the amount of bugs and other issues. 

unfortunately 🙄 

Even a 1000Hz mouse (which is the standard for gaming mice) reads way faster than most game engines even need. The jumping mouse is basically software catching up and skipping a few steps in between. You got fooled by marketing into thinking higher Hz is automatically better. It's not. So what's the asiest way to see that? Look at what pros use. Or look at reviews and see the actual difference in click to photon latency between the 8K and a more standard mouse.

In the end an accurate, consistent sensor and the right fit for your hand is much, much more important than 0.1 ms less input lag.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 1 month later...

I should have posted sooner... I didn't know if people would actually respond here. Anyways, turns out that if it had been the interaction between 1000hz polling rate and 240hz monitor it would have been jumping by 1/4 a mouse frame every 6 frames, instead of every 5 frames like it was. It turns out my monitor just skipped every 6th frame, and that happened in both Windows and Linux, over both DP and HDMI. I have no idea why. Then I moved back from college, added a monitor, removed my old gtx 750 ti which I still had in the PC, and the drivers for my rx 7900 xtx updated, and now it works fine (though still skipping some frames on the KDE desktop. Not many). Any of those could have fixed it XD but I feel like an idiot having done a mouse RMA, recompiling the linux kernel to try to get more inputs, and spending hours trying to figure it out when all I had to do was record the UFO test with my 240hz camera to see it was jumping.

On 4/10/2023 at 4:55 AM, Jet_Mouse said:

Both of those pictures were taken in Windows using the 8000hz setting on my mouse.

yeah,  but isnt that a monitor issue rather than mouse? ie, thats ghosting/ trailing, which is a monitor issue and should happen regardless which mouse you use.

IF SO its either user error (bad settings) or monitor issue (bad monitor) 

Take that with a grain of salt but to me this doesn't seem like a mouse issue.

On 5/22/2023 at 3:20 PM, Jet_Mouse said:

I should have posted sooner... I didn't know if people would actually respond here. Anyways, turns out that if it had been the interaction between 1000hz polling rate and 240hz monitor it would have been jumping by 1/4 a mouse frame every 6 frames, instead of every 5 frames like it was. It turns out my monitor just skipped every 6th frame, and that happened in both Windows and Linux, over both DP and HDMI. I have no idea why. Then I moved back from college, added a monitor, removed my old gtx 750 ti which I still had in the PC, and the drivers for my rx 7900 xtx updated, and now it works fine (though still skipping some frames on the KDE desktop. Not many). Any of those could have fixed it XD but I feel like an idiot having done a mouse RMA, recompiling the linux kernel to try to get more inputs, and spending hours trying to figure it out when all I had to do was record the UFO test with my 240hz camera to see it was jumping.

wall of text didn't convince me it isnt a monitor issue sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

try and divide 8000 with any of the common monitor refresh rates: 60, 120, 144, 240, etc. notice how it always returns a decimal figure? that is most likely why your cursor is skipping