Upgrading from R5 2600 to 5800X3D, Should I also upgrade my RAM?

So after watching AMD's newest releases, And the apparent issues that they seem to be having with the 7000 R9 X3D Chips not performing as advertised, Along with issues i've been reading about where Asus motherboards are having issues in running EXPO with any sense of stability (Im not sure if other manufactures are having these issues too), It just makes the most sense to me now, In both financial terms, and seemingly now ease of usability/performance to stay on AM4, and grab a 5800X3D to replace my old 2600. I'll be replacing my old heatsink (Coolermaster Hyper 212 black) With something new, (looking at either the be Quiet Dark Rock 4 Pro, or the Deepcool AK620) 

What i'm not sure though, is if my current 16 GB of DDR4 3200mhz CL16 Teamgroup T-Fource Vulcan Z, is sufficient for the upgrade, or if i should also be looking at bumping this up to 32 GB of RAM now.

My Motherboard is a B450 Tomahawk, (not the max) So it looks like the 3200mhz is the highest supported frequency, even with a bios update to the latest in support of the X3D chip.

3200 is good.

The R9 7000 series x3d chips are having windows driver issues due to core parking as only one ccd has 3d v cache of the 2 ccds on 7900 7950, on the 5800x3d and 7800x3d this is not an issue as only one ccd present

I think 16gb of ram is still enough for 1080p gaming still so unless you are playing at a higher resolution i would stick with what you have

Edited by Ottoman420

6 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

I think 16gb of ram is still enough for 1080p gaming still so unless you are playing at a higher resolution i would stick with what you have

I am currently only at 1080p, limited by my monitors, I'm planning on buying a 1440p monitor as well, Since my Vega 64 should be able to push that resolution. Eventually i am planning on replacing that too, with a 6800XT

17 minutes ago, Stratassj said:

So it looks like the 3200mhz is the highest supported frequency

My msi b450i's highest qvl is 3200, I'm running 3733mhz on my ram.

16GB should be fine for several more years.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

29 minutes ago, Stratassj said:

What i'm not sure though, is if my current 16 GB of DDR4 3200mhz CL16 Teamgroup T-Fource Vulcan Z, is sufficient for the upgrade, or if i should also be looking at bumping this up to 32 GB of RAM now.

It's fine. The entire point 5800X3D for gaming is that it is designed to minimize the impact that the RAM performance makes, so it could be 2400MT/s CL16 JEDEC and I'd still be advocating to just leave it as is. 

Whether 32GB of RAM is necessary more comes down to you and your use case. Some games are starting to use more the 16GB of RAM, especially if you're a tab hoarder and don't like to close stuff in the background, but they're still not super common. Odds are you'll get by with 16GB, especially if you already were getting by with 16GB, though if you didn't have your sticks I'd be advocating for 32GB instead, and I don't necessary disagree with the "while I'm in there anyway" mentality to upgrade it now just in case. 

11 minutes ago, Stratassj said:

I am currently only at 1080p, limited by my monitors, I'm planning on buying a 1440p monitor as well, Since my Vega 64 should be able to push that resolution. Eventually i am planning on replacing that too, with a 6800XT

Resolution shouldn't really effect the amount of RAM you need by all that much, even at 1440p you'd probably be fine with 16GB in current games. 

No. Waste of time and money, 5800x3D is less reliant on memory speed than other ryzen due to the huge cache 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Since your doing cpu you may aswell go up to 32gb as ul want the upgrade to last u a while, ul find plenty of kits at 3600 32gb cl18 that will be just fine 

but this can always be upgraded at a later date aswell so don’t feel u have to do it now, just if u do do it may as well get 3600 32gb

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper