Can a Gaming PC Survive the North Pole?

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

I mean, LN2 is used all the time for exterme overclocking.

A PC can survive LN2 temps - it can survive the North Pole too. Just don't drop it in the open ocean there, due to climate change.

This was pretty cool.  No pun intended.  It would be really cool if they did try this at the actual "north pole" or maybe just in like far northern Nunavut.   The trick to cooling a PC at that kind of environment might just be one of those purely passive coolers that exist.   You know like the NHP-1 but then I guess the heat pipes would also freeze up.  (Maybe not since they work in space... though they are not likely the same as the ones we get.)

FYI Youtuber and BilliBilli user 'SuDaBaKa' has already done this, in real life. Mohe, China -53 Celsius. Her video is nuts with blowing snow in through the CPU cooler via humongous fans etc https://wccftech.com/chinese-content-creator-shows-off-gaming-pc-with-intel-core-i9-13900k-nvidia-rtx-4090-running-in-53c-temps-in-chinas-mohe/

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV11Y4y1d7vq

Why did they go for water cooling in such a cool temperature? The water obviously gonna freeze right? I know it's not water, its glycol, but still, yes, it's gonna freeze right?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

15 hours ago, sounds said:

Just don't drop it in the open ocean there

This is Linus we are talking about here, there are no guarantees on that! 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Also possible it was unhappy because they were way out of spec on other board components. There's a bit more than CPU and GPU core operating limits to worry about 🤪.

I enjoy the videos where they start with an idea that could be tested carefully, with scientific rigour, but is actually just going to be them using expensive gear/hamhands to break stuff. 

I want them to try this again with the proper ethylene glycol ratio. You have to mix it with water to minimize (maximize) its freeze point. Water freezes at 0C, pure ethylene glycol at -15C, a 65% (vol) ethylene glycol solution freezes around -55C.

Ok. Ive seen this happen a few times. I'd like to see this actually work. And I think what you got wrong was your glycol mixture. Glycol is added to water to lower its freezing point. (hence it's use in a vehicles cooling systems) a 50/50 mixture is needed. The coolant in a vehicle is only distilled water, propylene glycol, and silicone. The silicone is only used to lubricate the water pump because they have brass or copper seals. if you were to do this again, make sure you have the right mixture. you dont need the silicone but you can mix water with the propylene glycol to prevent it from freezing. just make sure its at least 50/50 and if it keeps freezing, just add a touch more propylene glycol. and please set it all up BEFORE you test it.

On 4/6/2023 at 6:43 PM, Uttamattamakin said:

This was pretty cool.  No pun intended.  It would be really cool if they did try this at the actual "north pole" or maybe just in like far northern Nunavut.   The trick to cooling a PC at that kind of environment might just be one of those purely passive coolers that exist.   You know like the NHP-1 but then I guess the heat pipes would also freeze up.  (Maybe not since they work in space... though they are not likely the same as the ones we get.)

Reminds me of this, cant believe its 8 years old now. 

56 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Reminds me of this, cant believe its 8 years old now. 

That's what you do before you become old and realize you can get about as much benefit out of doing far less.  Linus has mastered making videos now and so doesn't need to ... IDK... fly to Alert, Nunavut, Canada. 

Looking at this video I'd bet there is at least one gamer among the young people based at that military base which is the purpose of the town.   If they watch LTT for this they'd be like "wussy". (But you know in a good natured "Canada nice" sort of way).  

Couldn't help but notice the monitor in this video is the ASUS gundam one

gmon.jpg