Animated Profile Pictures

Dracarris

After trying all the places/links I could find without success:

Is there any option/toggle to hide/disable animated profile pictures?

I personally find them annoying af and honestly don't understand why they were allowed in the first place. In a thread with several short replies from such users visible at the same time, your screen becomes a jumpy mess which I find horribly distracting. Since most people here seem to be fine with this and I do not like to block said pictures manually with adblock for every user in question, is there any way to turn displaying them off for me? Maybe only show the first frame?

That being said, are there any layout options that I as a user can control, apart from the day/night theme? Other forum software (most of them otherwise a lot simpler and by far not as feature rich compared to what is used here) for example provides options like disabling display of profile pictures in general, adjusting max forum width, number of replies displayed per page and so on.

While i don't seem to find them as annoying as you do, i'd definitely toggle them off if i had the option, some of them are way over the top. 

If you use a Chromium based browser
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/animation-policy/ncigbofjfbodhkaffojakplpmnleeoee/

If you use Firefox

Type "about:config" in the address bar.

Click "I accept the risk!" when it comes up.

Find "image.animation" using the search box (just type "anim")

Double-click "image.animation_mode."

In the next box, type ether "once," so the animated GIFs only get one chance to play, or "none" so they never can.

Safari:

https://github.com/matsadler/deanimator

obviously this will apply everywhere, not just the forum, but i think i remember this being suggested in the past, but Invision have no plans to ever actually implement it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

As noted above, most of these things come down to what forum software developer has decided to go by. Their direction has been to lean heavily on Apple-style. They think they know better what users like. This means some simple, but effective options have not implemented. Including infinite scrolling vs pages setting, number of items on page, order of items on page and so on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

As noted above, most of these things come down to what forum software developer has decided to go by. Their direction has been to lean heavily on Apple-style. They think they know better what users like. This means some simple, but effective options have not implemented. Including infinite scrolling vs pages setting, number of items on page, order of items on page and so on.

I think thats possible to implement as they did with blurring images and adding strawberries on top... but i dont do web programming so could be wrong.

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

That's quite baffling, given what they charge for this forum software.

Since I'll certainly not block gifs globally, I'll have to continue with the per-user blocking rule through adblock for the handful of highly-active gif users. In case someone is interested, here's an example rule (simply directly target the image file, this gets rid of displaying it everywhere, not only within a thread):

https://pbs-prod.linustechtips.com/profile/photo-31362.gif

Should work on ublock origin.

31 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

I think thats possible to implement as they did with blurring images and adding strawberries on top... but i dont do web programming so could be wrong.

Blurring is just filter added on top. OP is talking about user settings, not global thing.

2 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

That's quite baffling, given what they charge for this forum software.

Like I said, they are very Apple-like. They don't care unless its game-breaking. If Mortis or FP devs can add features, thats different. From past, the width of the content is based on dpi/zoom/resolution and not something that can be customized.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 7 months later...

Okay. So since this continues to piss me off HARD since multiple people here overdo it hard with their seizure-inducing profile pictures that thumb around next to every bloody post they write, I went to the effort of at least creating a filter for ublock origin that seems to work:

||pbs-prod.linustechtips.com/*/*.thumb.gif*$image

Finally I can read topics with peace without being constantly distracted by blinking and flashing anime on the left or whatever it is that some people here seem to enjoy constantly looking at. Again, who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to allow animations as profile pictures?

Such paths

as earlier posted seem to only work for very old (?) users and everyone else has profile pictures that get replicated on a monthly basis to a new folder, which would break filters every month without the first wildcard in the first code snippet above.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

Okay. So since this continues to piss me off HARD since multiple people here overdo it hard with their seizure-inducing profile pictures that thumb around next to every bloody post they write, I went to the effort of at least creating a filter for ublock origin that seems to work:

Finally I can read topics with peace without being constantly distracted by blinking and flashing anime on the left or whatever it is that some people here seem to enjoy constantly looking at. Again, who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to allow animations as profile pictures?

Such paths

as earlier posted seem to only work for very old (?) users and everyone else has profile pictures that get replicated on a monthly basis to a new folder, which would break filters every month without the first wildcard in the first code snippet above.

holy based.

just changed my pfp to an animated one btw. 🗿

3 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Such paths

Cheers. I actually wanted that too.

Now if you want real seizure, I welcome you to my profile. You have been warned.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

7 hours ago, Levent said:

Cheers. I actually wanted that too.

Now if you want real seizure, I welcome you to my profile. You have been warned.

now you‘re just rubbing it in😅

pbs-prod.linustechtips.com/*/*.thumb.gif*$image

FYI the above also works in AdGuard for Safari (just had to remove the leading ||, not sure what they do for Ublock Origin).

On 11/11/2023 at 4:47 AM, overbuilt_gaming said:

1000% agree that it's annoying AF.  I actually had to get an extension for Edge called, "Animation Policy" just to block it here.   

FYI, this application some breaks payment processing websites. Ask me how I spent 40 days trying to get my money back.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 hours ago, Levent said:

FYI, this application some breaks payment processing websites. Ask me how I spent 40 days trying to get my money back.

Care to elaborate how an animation block made you spend _more_ money?

Some blocked script (?) that did not forward a payment token to some vendor?

Just now, Dracarris said:

Care to elaborate how an animation block made you spend _more_ money?

Some blocked script (?) that did not forward a payment token to some vendor?

Yeah iirc, it wouldnt allow page to process forward after 3d secure was confirmed. It didnt made me to spend more money, I never said that. It took me 40 days and 20 emails to both parties to get my money back.

Anyways, I dont like to go too offopic. So I will not be responding to anything not related to the topic moving on.