Port-forwarding a minecraft server on OPNsense?

I've been trying to figure out port-forwarding for a simple minecraft server all morning, my head is spinning lol.

I used these guides below but found no luck. Port-forwarding is likely out of my frame of understanding but I would still like to regardless.

https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=8783.0

&

https://www.wundertech.net/how-to-port-forward-in-opnsense/

Here is what I've attempted so far.

image.png

1975798770_Screenshot2023-04-02103407.thumb.png.8487cba70dce0f9daa89c7b0b76df1ad.png

I added a forwarded port and NAT rule for the port I was going to use. Traditionally minecraft servers are on port 25565, but a guide above was using port 3200-3100 for theirs, so I figured it couldn't hurt while trying to figure it out.

I also added an alias to set up this port.

Lastly, I changed some port settings in Firewall: Settings: Advanced to allow the reflection of port forwards, and I enabled automatic outbound NAT for reflection.

Anyone have any thoughts?

image.png

pfsense and opnsense are unnecessarily dense in my opinion, so i cant exactly help you on that part, but where i can help you is this;

46 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Traditionally minecraft servers are on port 25565, but a guide above was using port 3200-3100 for theirs, so I figured it couldn't hurt while trying to figure it out.

minecraft servers use TCP, default on port 25565, but you can configure any port you like in server.properties file. iirc if you're using bukkit/spigot/paperMC/... that may move to some other .yml config file.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive an "old" thread, but did you ever figure out what was wrong?
Im having a problem which looks to be the same

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 8:07 AM, frederikas said:

Sorry to revive an "old" thread, but did you ever figure out what was wrong?
Im having a problem which looks to be the same

Late but I found this video.

Another thing to add, I'm hosting the server itself on a windows OS based machine. Not sure what type of OS you're hosting on and if that would change the outcome at all based on the video help.

Thanks for the link, i have done literally 100% the same as him, even deleted all of it and tried again - and when i go to port checker, its says its not open anyway

3 hours ago, frederikas said:

Thanks for the link, i have done literally 100% the same as him, even deleted all of it and tried again - and when i go to port checker, its says its not open anyway

I assume you're also on opnsense? Check the order of your firewall and port forwarding rules, they're evaluated from the top down, so if you have a rule which blocks traffic on incoming ports for instance, you'll need to move your rule allowing traffic on the port your MC server is running on above that rule for it to function properly.

rhythm games are best fight me

image.thumb.png.1ba50499038285d013fce9a62879e857.png
As far as i can see, i dont have any other rules, i have tried with different ports, still with no result
(also yes, im on opnsense)

Go to Firewall: Rules: WAN and check to make sure that you opened the port through the firewall as well

Hmmm, try going to Firewall: Log Files: Live View and adding a filter for <action contains block> and running your port scan to see what pops up. It's also worth checking the firewall on the computer you're hosting the MC server with to make sure that it isn't blocking 25565.

Doesnt seem to be anything in the log that pops up at all when i run port checker. atleast not anything targeting port 25565.
(both when i look only at blocked, but also without filters and just looking through all of it)
And yes, i have opened the ports on in the firewall on the hosting pc.

Almost feels like im targeting the wrong IP address, but i have tried both with the one the website says is my public IP, aswell as what my WAN interface says its ip is, just for the sake of trying.