Considering getting out of the apple ecosyestem

Sol_NB

So for reference i own a Iphone 14 pro, ipad pro 12.9inch m1, 16inch Macbook Pro m1 max with 32gb RAM and 1tb SSD, a apple watch, airpod pros, homepod and a apple tv 4K. so needless to say im pretty much all apple except my gaming PC. so why do I want to leave the walled garden I have so dug myself into? to be honest, im kinda lamenting not having alot of hardware choices. watching alot of LTT videos im wanting more flexibility with my hardware and purchasing choices and I dont know if I can get that with apple anymore. Im not exactly unhappy with anything though so im wondering if im looking to buy new stuff because I want to or that I just am concerned im not gonna be able to do something with my current things and im gonna be unable to buy non apple stuff cause im locked in so much. is it maybe more trouble then its worth to try and break out of? 

So im curious to the forum members if you guys were in my position, what would you do? keep current set up? slowly faze out apple products with other ones? mix and match apple products with others and try to make it all work?

I would slowly move away from Apple if you want to. With one exception, I really enjoy my Iphone 14 pro and would truthfully never move away from Apple for the phone. I personally would have no reason to ever use the watch, iPad, airpods, etc. It really boils down to your personal preference. It would be incredibly wasteful to ditch everything all at once and replace it. Just replace as needed.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

3 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

I would slowly move away from Apple if you want to. With one exception, I really enjoy my Iphone 14 pro and would truthfully never move away from Apple for the phone. I personally would have no reason to ever use the watch, iPad, airpods, etc. It really boils down to your personal preference. It would be incredibly wasteful to ditch everything all at once and replace it. Just replace as needed.

well thats the thing too. I like my iphone and the airpods. I try to use my watch but I keep forgetting to wear it. laptops I dont know if Windows is good. i hear issues with hot bag and battery drain and stuff. 

The apple tv and homepod im kinda indifferent about. but i fear that if I am NOT all in on apple for everything its gonna be hard to use the other stuff if I mix like, google home stuff or a nvidia shield or something or if I ever want to mix and match other non apple stuff. maybe theres ways to make it all work together ok? like using mainly google services since there on everything?

1 minute ago, Sol_NB said:

well thats the thing too. I like my iphone and the airpods. I try to use my watch but I keep forgetting to wear it. laptops I dont know if Windows is good. i hear issues with hot bag and battery drain and stuff. 

The apple tv and homepod im kinda indifferent about. but i fear that if I am NOT all in on apple for everything its gonna be hard to use the other stuff if I mix like, google home stuff or a nvidia shield or something or if I ever want to mix and match other non apple stuff. maybe theres ways to make it all work together ok? like using mainly google services since there on everything?

For music I exclusively use Spotify. As far as TV services I just have subscriptions to Hulu, HBO, Netflix, etc. The device you use that on doesn't really matter. If you use AppleTV however I could see an issue there. For laptops, every brand (Apple or manufacturer with windows) have their advantages. Apple products are pretty well known for their battery life but depending on what you do there is likely a suitable product on the windows side. If you already are familiar with Windows and Mac OS you should be able to just sorta get what ever you want honestly.

Main Gaming Machine

Well, I think maybe I have a dumb fear as well. I kinda worry if I’m all apple I can’t be considered a “techy” person. Or the type of person that watches LTT as much as I do (I know Linus isn’t biggest apple fan. And he has good points about it). 

but this is a dumb thing probably 

4 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

For music I exclusively use Spotify. As far as TV services I just have subscriptions to Hulu, HBO, Netflix, etc. The device you use that on doesn't really matter. If you use AppleTV however I could see an issue there. For laptops, every brand (Apple or manufacturer with windows) have their advantages. Apple products are pretty well known for their battery life but depending on what you do there is likely a suitable product on the windows side. If you already are familiar with Windows and Mac OS you should be able to just sorta get what ever you want honestly.

I mean I like price flexibility too and that’s why I kinda thought about getting out of apple. But I guess it dosent make since to sell more expensive stuff I already own to buy cheaper stuff. It just kinda feels suffocating 

3 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Well, I think maybe I have a dumb fear as well. I kinda worry if I’m all apple I can’t be considered a “techy” person. Or the type of person that watches LTT as much as I do (I know Linus isn’t biggest apple fan. And he has good points about it). 

Technology is technology. Don't worry about what people think. If it works for you it works for you. You should definitely check out the Mac Address LMG channel if you haven't seen anything on there yet. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0KfjyvabuE2J-RBC6ko2Lw

Main Gaming Machine

On 3/31/2023 at 8:33 AM, TylerD321 said:

Technology is technology. Don't worry about what people think. If it works for you it works for you. You should definitely check out the Mac Address LMG channel if you haven't seen anything on there yet. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0KfjyvabuE2J-RBC6ko2Lw

Oh I have. It’s a good channel 

But I mean I guess I can mix and match if a product I feel isn’t as good as whither and maybe go from there. Is there tips to get things kinda working as smooth as it can? I assume since google works on both Mac and windows and android that maybe a good service sweet to use? 

Like I’ll be honest I got a chromecast and a nest mini and may try swapping the Apple TV and HomePod for those and see. 

6 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

I kinda worry if I’m all apple I can’t be considered a “techy” person.

this may be the dumbest reason i have seen for someone wanting to move away from apple.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

this may be the dumbest reason i have seen for someone wanting to move away from apple.

Given some of the dumb reasons people give to buy apple I would say it all kinda balances out now. 🙃

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

Use the tools you want to.  Don't worry what other people think.

This isn't just a dumb way to think, it's harmful.  It will limit your potential. 

I strongly advise you think about this, maybe talk with someone about this, and work to avoid this type of thinking.

I think the main thing I want is like, balance or flexibility. Like if I need a product being able to look at multiple things and judge based off performance or price. With apple that’s hard to do because what you get is what you get. 

On 3/31/2023 at 3:07 PM, Arika S said:

I never said it was good thing but was a OCD worry I had I guess 

On 3/31/2023 at 3:13 PM, mr moose said:

Given some of the dumb reasons people give to buy apple I would say it all kinda balances out now. 🙃

I mean there not bad products or anything 

Well i've never been on the Apple hype train, but i have led many friends out of The Empire and into the resistance. Usually a general fast shock is better. Replace everything at once and learn all at once. LEarning about Windows and Android at the same time is actually preferable, because there are a lot of similarities. At first it will be hard for sure, but don't be afraid to ask and experiment. The key is to never blindly follow the trends and use your own brain to decide what is best for you both on PC and Android markets. You should ask for suggestion, but never go the Apple way of "just roll with the flow and do as the shepherd says".

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

10 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

Don't worry for a minute if anyone thinks you're "techy" or not.  People who are this judgy are probably annoying Linux users anyway (/s).

The fact that you're having such a dilemma over switching from Apple just shows how powerful their hold on people is. 

2 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Well i've never been on the Apple hype train, but i have led many friends out of The Empire and into the resistance. Usually a general fast shock is better. Replace everything at once and learn all at once. LEarning about Windows and Android at the same time is actually preferable, because there are a lot of similarities. At first it will be hard for sure, but don't be afraid to ask and experiment. The key is to never blindly follow the trends and use your own brain to decide what is best for you both on PC and Android markets. You should ask for suggestion, but never go the Apple way of "just roll with the flow and do as the shepherd says".

I mentioned before that I would only ever use an Apple phone and didn't really offer context. For one, I am very familiar with the phone operating system. I also have hearing aids and there are some pretty cool features that only work with apple devices because these hearing aids are MFI (Made for Iphone) which is stupid but oh well. If these features were available elsewhere I would probably consider switching but either way I am not sure if it is worth the learning curve to me.

Main Gaming Machine

On 3/31/2023 at 7:17 PM, Erioch said:

Don't worry for a minute if anyone thinks you're "techy" or not.  People who are this judgy are probably annoying Linux users anyway (/s).

The fact that you're having such a dilemma over switching from Apple just shows how powerful their hold on people is. 

Well yeah that’s the thing that sucks. It’s a powerful kick in. But that’s why I want to decouple what I can do I’m able to have more hardware flexibility, so that’s why I’m going back and forth what I should keep or just changing every single thing up 

On 3/31/2023 at 6:46 PM, QuantumSingularity said:

Well the issue is it’s gonna be hard to switch everything all at once. My iPhone I’m on the iPhone upgrade program so I’m still making payments in it until like November 2024. Unless unjust Jay it all off at once whatever the remaining balance is. Also as far as laptop I’m not sure about windows laptops. I saw the LTT video where Linus himself said he’s not gonna recommend windows laptops anymore until they fix the sleep mode between access issue causing laptops to burn up in bags and kill batteries. Also for tablets I don’t know if android is there yet 

On 3/31/2023 at 9:05 PM, TylerD321 said:

I mentioned before that I would only ever use an Apple phone and didn't really offer context. For one, I am very familiar with the phone operating system. I also have hearing aids and there are some pretty cool features that only work with apple devices because these hearing aids are MFI (Made for Iphone) which is stupid but oh well. If these features were available elsewhere I would probably consider switching but either way I am not sure if it is worth the learning curve to me.

I want to try out android phones again but I’m still making payments on my iPhone. Maybe can get a cheap android phone to use while I pay off the iPhone or I can just wait until that’s laid off or pay it off in full. 

15 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

no, using apple just means u like getting ripped off and prefer bling over actual quality.  if you really want to move away i would recommend doing it in 1 big sweep, just like nicotine addiction, its best to get off the snake oil immediately as that has the best chances of succeeding. 

ps: dont go Samsung they're just as bad if not worse 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Sol_NB said:

I want to try out android phones again but I’m still making payments on my iPhone. Maybe can get a cheap android phone to use while I pay off the iPhone or I can just wait until that’s laid off or pay it off in full. 

I'm an Android for-life user but don't just get any cheap Android phone.  It will probably be a horrible experience.

5 minutes ago, Erioch said:

I'm an Android for-life user but don't just get any cheap Android phone.  It will probably be a horrible experience.

If I got one I’d get a pixal 

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

no, using apple just means u like getting ripped off and prefer bling over actual quality.  if you really want to move away i would recommend doing it in 1 big sweep, just like nicotine addiction, its best to get off the snake oil immediately as that has the best chances of succeeding. 

ps: dont go Samsung they're just as bad if not worse 

Except I’m still making payments on the iPhone and can’t just lay off the full amount. So I’d  have to get a android phone on the side while also paying for the iPhone 

I'm invested into the Apple ecosystem as well. If I were to want to branch out, which I do as well some day, I'd want to let my current products die out and just not replace them until needed. Once that replacement is needed, replace it with something else.

21 minutes ago, ThatGuyJupe said:

I'm invested into the Apple ecosystem as well. If I were to want to branch out, which I do as well some day, I'd want to let my current products die out and just not replace them until needed. Once that replacement is needed, replace it with something else.

Yeah I think I’m doing the same. Well I have to wait until like November 2024 to switch phones because I’m making payments through the iPhone upgrade program. But I’m gonna try and switch out the other apple stuff as I can in the meantime. Like I’m gonna sell my Apple TV and HomePod because I have a chromecast with google tv and nest mini. My MacBook and iPad im not sure because I don’t think there’s a good android equivalent for tablet and I heard windows laptops are having hot bag issues. But I may sell the MacBook because I can get good money for it and honestly it’s pretty huge (it’s a 16inch MacBook Pro M1 Max )

This there easy ways to have mixed ecosyestem work well with each other? Like if I have to use my iPhone is there a way I can make that work well with other ecosyestems?

6 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

Sounds like boredom or imaginary peer pressure... either way lol

Mmm not sure if boredom is right word. I honestly am kinda thinking about tingling term and I’d like more device and price flexibility