DIY GPU Fans

TheRoyalTed

Ever since I bought my Evga Rtx 3070ti, it has run hot. At best it was 78-79c. At it's worst it was 84-85c. On top of that, a few months into using it, on of the fans started making horrible noise, so not wanting to wait on it getting sent back Evga and be out of a pc for that time, I just replaced it myself. A month later, a new fan starts making a horrible noise. I'm sure it's not recommended, but I just took out one fan and ran it with only 2 for awhile, which was ok temps wise. It wasn't much worse at least. I finally decided to try and diy something better myself and after seeing that ltt video where they strapped some fans to a gpu, I went with that.

I found these 92mm Noctua fans which seemed like they were about right, and once I got them, they were absolutely perfect. I couldn't have imagined a better fit. I removed the old fans, and I was going to leave the shroud off, but it seemed like it would be better to leave since I would have a better surface to attach the fans. They are double sided taped on with some strong high temp rated stuff, and I cut down a tube from a pen to relieve some of the gpu sag, which wasn't any worse than before, but it seemed like a good idea. It's actually much more level than the picture makes it look. I think it came out fairly clean looking, besides the wires, but that doesn't bother me much. Now my temps are peaking at 79c under heavy loaded for over 30 minutes, but they average about 76-77c. The temps also used to shoot up immediately to 80c, but now it behaves more like an aio since the fans aren't temp controlled for now, and slowly climbs and settles at 77c after about 10-15mins. Even with the fans only going 80-85% speed, it's still substantially quieter than the stock fans at even half speed..

If you're good with diy's, don't mind almost definitely voiding your warranty, and in need of a new gpu cooler, absolutely go for it. I feel much better about gaming for longer sessions now that I know I'm not gonna fry my gpu. I'll update if there's any issues or the double sided tape gives, but everything's running solid for now.

image.thumb.jpeg.d981d6f773b2372bec99f8b216279691.jpeg20230330_174553.thumb.jpg.fd0874480fec1ed8138c03301d7aa728.jpg20230330_174519.thumb.jpg.413ea73ecc2db1d9d09f3b2039cbe0b7.jpg20230330_175938.thumb.jpg.719e69ae937a4c13556477b27d5580aa.jpg

Nice! 
In fairness, a non-launch 30 series evga gpu is extremely unlikely to fry itself, the self throttling is too aggressive for that to happen. Especially if you're only getting to 85C

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

True, I was getting in the high 80's and sometimes hitting 90c with the 2 fan set up. Not exactly going to fry itself like you said, but the fans certainly didn't seem to know that by the jet fighter speeds they were going, lol. 

Running them at a static rpm or were you able to have the rpm dynamically adjusted by a reliable temperature sensor?

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

Running them at a static rpm or were you able to have the rpm dynamically adjusted by a reliable temperature sensor?

Just running at a static rpm right now. I would like to tie it to the gpu temp eventually, but for right now it's quiet and temps are good with the static rpm.

Nice.. could always invest in a fan controller for those 3 if you run into any issues in the future..  at least get manual control of all the fans on a knob.  I like it though, I did a passive heatsink on a GPU back in the early 2000s with a fin array 2/3 the size of the card and pointed an 80mm case fan at it.. worked great haha.

Nice! Done something similar to my mini Zotac 970.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

We've had 10+ years of laptops running at around 100C all the time. 
80 or even 90C isn't going to kill a part that doesn't have stupid amounts of voltage running through it. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

• 1 month later...

Looks nice.

I've done these things before. From a passive 7300 GT that dropped 15°C under load with a single 80mm fan, over a single slot 8800 GT that got two fans and dropped 30°C, to a 660 Ti that got a fan duct for fresh air from the outside.

And you got a nice looking, well done build. Add some fan grills and it looks pretty much like one of those super ultra extreme custom pre-oc cards.