UNREAL ENGINE 5.2 showcase is mind blowing.

Unreal Engine 5.2 is just showcased by Rivian and Quixel.(the foliage models were provided by them). 

Don't think it is a render, lol. It is in real-time.

NEW TECH ----->

• Choas Physics ---> Rocks and leaves one the ground are interactive. (In the demo interactions seem to produce sounds.)
  • Real-time fluid simulation
  • Simulation of Tyre compression and deformation
  • Realistic electric motor sounds which are mixed with the ambisonics of the jungle. (Meta Sounds)
  • New material simulator, SUBSTRATE ---> It allows for mixing of different layers of materials like shown in the demo ->first the opal then the polish then the dust. Surprisingly with no performance losses over the currunt engine shading model.
  • Procedural content generation tool --> It is a tool that helps artists to create detailed environments quickly and easily, compatible with hand-made content.

I recommend watching the video.

As cool as that tech demo is, it's still just a tech demo. It's a nice way to show what the engine itself is capable of, but I wouldn't expect that kind of fidelity in an actual game any time soon.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

As cool as that tech demo is, it's still just a tech demo. It's nice way to show what the engine itself is capable of, but I wouldn't expect that kind of fidelity in an actual game any time soon.

not with the half baked stuff that gets released these days 😕

1 hour ago, Madsyrn said:

Don't think it is a render, lol. It is in real-time.

Pretty sure they said it was running on a 13900K and an RTX 4090.  Although its normal for needing higher specifications to run a project in the editor than an exported project, so would be curious to know how far it could scale down.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Tech demos seem to create changes in games after 6 years or more.

7 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

As cool as that tech demo is, it's still just a tech demo. It's a nice way to show what the engine itself is capable of, but I wouldn't expect that kind of fidelity in an actual game any time soon.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Pretty sure they said it was running on a 13900K and an RTX 4090.  Although its normal for needing higher specifications to run a project in the editor than an exported project, so would be curious to know how far it could scale down.

I don't think there will be any difference in the engine and the final build because the scene seems to be baked already.

14 hours ago, Madsyrn said:

I don't think there will be any difference in the engine and the final build because the scene seems to be baked already.

On the contrary, the whole point of the demo was to show how they took a small pre-designed (not sure you can call this pre-baked, if you can edit it in real-time its clearly not pre-baked) environment and the engine filled in the gaps to make it a lot bigger, with you able to add/move assets and it filled in the gaps for you to make a seamless environment.

Even though a lot of what UE 5 does is in real-time, there is a lot more overhead in the editor as its full of debugging tools and the ability to tweak all the variables.  When you export a final project a lot of overhead is removed, the engine doesn't need to dynamically fill any gaps as that was already calculated in the editor and in most cases you don't WANT the environment to be different for each user running the game, that's an unnecessary overhead when it can all be pre-baked for a consistent experience and save on resources.

For example the editor project based on The Matrix technical demo that ran on consoles.  The editor version needed a vastly more powerful PC to run than the consoles are, and the whole point of that is they said it was done in a very short amount of time so wasn't fully optimised.

I think the biggest problem right now is asset size for final games, rather than the hardware running it.  Nobody wants to release a game that is hundreds of Gigabytes in size, when only a small minority can run that game and get full benefit out of those assets.

Its kinda ironic they designed the PS5/Series consoles to be able to pull vast amounts of data in/out of memory without CPU overhead, but their storage capacity is so limited its hard to imagine any games really making good use of that.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 3/25/2023 at 4:55 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes it was running on the 13900k with a 4090 and also yes the requirement is much higher inside unreal than actual compiled game. The assets you have in your project do not all seems to be shared with the preview window. Sometime i load few Gb of assets and see the process use at least 60%-70% more when running the preview. I know an empty project use around 800mb of ram (funny fact this is 100 Mb less than a chromium web browser for Electron app) but that 60%-70% is with removing that "average" overhead from the equation.

So you are usually running 20%-30% harder in dev mode than release. So for that 4K (seemed very smooth so i guess ~80 fps) you are probably looking at 10700k + 3080 (or ti) without upscalers.

rule of thumb down 2 gen on CPU, 1 gen and 1 sku on GPU

58 minutes ago, Franck said:

Yes it was running on the 13900k with a 4090 and also yes the requirement is much higher inside unreal than actual compiled game. The assets you have in your project do not all seems to be shared with the preview window. Sometime i load few Gb of assets and see the process use at least 60%-70% more when running the preview. I know an empty project use around 800mb of ram (funny fact this is 100 Mb less than a chromium web browser for Electron app) but that 60%-70% is with removing that "average" overhead from the equation.

So you are usually running 20%-30% harder in dev mode than release. So for that 4K (seemed very smooth so i guess ~80 fps) you are probably looking at 10700k + 3080 (or ti) without upscalers.

rule of thumb down 2 gen on CPU, 1 gen and 1 sku on GPU

Thanks for that, I have a very superficial knowledge so its good to see it confirmed.  I was mostly basing it on the UE 5.0 preview project recommending 64GB minimum RAM and seeing it really chug on a 3080 + 5950X + 32GB.

I always wanted to play with the Unreal Editor but I find the whole thing very overwhelming.

51 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Thanks for that, I have a very superficial knowledge so its good to see it confirmed.  I was mostly basing it on the UE 5.0 preview project recommending 64GB minimum RAM and seeing it really chug on a 3080 + 5950X + 32GB.

I always wanted to play with the Unreal Editor but I find the whole thing very overwhelming.

I ran UE 5.0 on R5 2600, 16Gb DDR4, GTX 1070. It depends on the project.