Why you do not use windows server linus

3 minutes ago, Radkeyboard7984 said:

why you do not use windows server

Because its too expensive for my taste. I can do more with less using GNU OS' for free.

1 minute ago, Radkeyboard7984 said:

Do you even use windows server

Yeah all day every day.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Because its too expensive for my taste. I can do more with less using GNU OS' for free.

Yeah all day every day.

I am asking linus not u. Also I am talking windows server os

7 minutes ago, Radkeyboard7984 said:

Pls tell me why you do not use windows server

linus isn't gonna reply directly to a small thread like this. He's got other things on his mind

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Just now, filpo said:

linus isn't gonna reply directly to a small thread like this. He's got other things on his mind

I am confused does he use windows os or windows server os 

8 minutes ago, Radkeyboard7984 said:

Do you even use windows server

Stupidly expensive for a unstable OS if you want to be immersed in the experience of getting bluescreens left and right it is the right place everything else using something else.

Just now, Gokul_P said:

Stupidly expensive for a unstable OS if you want to be immersed in the experience of getting bluescreens left and right it is the right place everything else using something else.

are you talking about windows server os

2 minutes ago, Radkeyboard7984 said:

I am confused does he use windows os or windows server os 

I don't know what he uses i'm telling you he won't reply and also it depends what your doing. if your making a NAS TrueNAS is a good OS

Current parts list

Just now, Radkeyboard7984 said:

are you talking about windows server os

yes they were

Current parts list

Linus does use Windows Server for their DNS/DHCP and Active Directory setups.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

39 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

Windows Server is perfectly fine, as long as you don't treat it like a gaming desktop and install it on cheap hardware and run a bunch of garbage.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Windows Server is perfectly fine, as long as you don't treat it like a gaming desktop and install it on cheap hardware and run a bunch of garbage.

according to linus Injecting video footage caused the server to crash and new new whonnok do had some pretty impressive specs so idk  

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Gokul_P said:

according to linus Injecting video footage caused the server to crash so idk  

That's an extreme edge case.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:43 AM, Gokul_P said:

if you get bluescreens left and right you did something wrong

CCNP | Windows Admin | 2011 Audi A4 2.0t | i7 7820x @5ghz | 60tb 2 node vSAN

Why I don't use Windows server.

1. Absurdly overpriced.

2. Even on hardware that far exceeds the requirements, I still manage to get blue screens.

Running Debian Linux server, I've had no problems in the 6 months that it's been running. Although there is no official support, I can easily find knowledgeable people in the community that either have in past posts or when queried will answer with suggestions that actually work.

Microsoft never really entered the server market.

Cost isn't actually the issue. Companies running Linux typically have support contract that costs more than MS solution.

The issue is that Windows isn't really an OS for the same server application that Linux based OS can provide.

For example, doing docker is impossible in Windows. The OS doesn't allow to make this. It was never built for scalability in mind and licensing of Windows is just the cream on top to make the whole thing even more complicated.

Microsoft missed the boat on the server space. And this is something that they have recognized very well. Heck, Azure runs on Linux. Sure, you could request Windows server, but that is only recommended for specific needs, say Windows Cloud PC (basically a fancy version of remote desktop-ing to a PC to run software on, or running Active Directory for a company who can't afford the IT infrastructure that fits the company needs, and such.

4 hours ago, Thomas4 said:

2. Even on hardware that far exceeds the requirements, I still manage to get blue screens.

BSOD means failure in hardware or faulty drivers. They are errors that is impossible to recover from.

Saying that you are having BSODs left and right just because, those days are long gone from Win9x days, and is nothing more than a myth.

Typically:

• Bug in driver
  • Faulty memory
  • Bad overclock
  • A faulty hardware

BSOD are descriptive (too much, in fact), and Microsoft offer tools (ex: WinDbg which you can easily get from the Store) to analyze them in depth, so that you can pinpoint the exact issue.

I am happy to hear that Debian isn't going through the exact flow that Windows does, causeing the system crash from hardware, hiding the potential hardware problem under the carpet, and that is fine for your needs.

5 hours ago, Thomas4 said:

Hardware requirements and BSODs are not inherently related, and usually aren't.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Heck, Azure runs on Linux. 

I dont know where you heard this; but from someone who has actually seen an azure server, the all of azure virtualization is running windows server core and hyper-v with some management tools. they only use linux for SDN.

6 minutes ago, Block0 said:

I dont know where you heard this; but from someone who has actually seen an azure server, the all of azure virtualization is running windows server core and hyper-v with some management tools. they only use linux for SDN.

This is true for all cloud computing infrastructure. I don't know what windows server core he is talking about but all cloud computing and physical server computers run a hypervisor, rather than an operating system.

These hypervisors are use to partition out the hardware resources like cpu cores, disk storage, and rams which are then packaged and containerized into its own virtual machine running a full os like Linux and then sold to a paying customer as a vps. This is why when you pay for a virtual machine on aws, azure, or Google cloud you see funny configurations like 3 xenon core proccessors and 5 gig rams which few real and none virtual computers ship with. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

13 minutes ago, wasab said:

This is true for all cloud computing infrastructure. I don't know what windows server core he is talking about but all cloud computing and physical server computers run a hypervisor, rather than an operating system.

These hypervisors are use to partition out the hardware resources like cpu cores, disk storage, and rams which are then packaged and containerized into its own virtual machine running a full os like Linux and then sold to a paying customer as a vps. This is why when you pay for a virtual machine on aws, azure, or Google cloud you see funny configurations like 3 xenon core proccessors and 5 gig rams which few real and none virtual computers ship with. 

Windows server is the operating system, hyper-v is the hypervisor. 

So windows on a hypervisor? I guess that is normal. It definitly isn't linux running inside a windows tho. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

So windows on a hypervisor? I guess that is normal. It definitly isn't linux running inside a windows tho. 

windows is the hypervisor. from there you can run anything on it.