Why you do not use windows server linus

1 hour ago, Block0 said:

windows is the hypervisor. from there you can run anything on it.

when i said hypervisor, i am not talking about type 2 hypervisor which things like virtualbox and vmares fall under. it makes no sense to virtualize cloud vms on these things because there is a huge performance and resource penality. that windows core is probably just management softwares, not something hosting the linux vms. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

21 hours ago, wasab said:

when i said hypervisor, i am not talking about type 2 hypervisor which things like virtualbox and vmares fall under. it makes no sense to virtualize cloud vms on these things because there is a huge performance and resource penality. that windows core is probably just management softwares, not something hosting the linux vms. 

Windows server core is just Windows server but slimmed down a lot. The GUI is very simple and there is no desktop, its mostly CLI. Hyper-V is a windows service / feature that can create and manage VMs. however, Hyper-V is actually a type-1 hypervisor, being baked into windows. every windows installation is just one large virtual machine, and when you 'install' Hyper-V, you are just installing the management tools required to create and manage virtual machines. Hyper-V can virtualize most operating systems including Windows, Linux and UNIX. The bulk of Azure runs on Windows server, running Hyper-V, with some management and automation tools baked in. 

read more at https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/performance-tuning/role/hyper-v-server/architecture

CCNP | Windows Admin | 2011 Audi A4 2.0t | i7 7820x @5ghz | 60tb 2 node vSAN

1 hour ago, Block0 said:

snip

oh, i see what you meant. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2023 at 8:53 PM, Block0 said:

Windows server core is just Windows server but slimmed down a lot. The GUI is very simple and there is no desktop, its mostly CLI. Hyper-V is a windows service / feature that can create and manage VMs. however, Hyper-V is actually a type-1 hypervisor, being baked into windows. every windows installation is just one large virtual machine, and when you 'install' Hyper-V, you are just installing the management tools required to create and manage virtual machines. Hyper-V can virtualize most operating systems including Windows, Linux and UNIX. The bulk of Azure runs on Windows server, running Hyper-V, with some management and automation tools baked in. 

read more at https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/performance-tuning/role/hyper-v-server/architecture

I see