Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

2 minutes ago, FuchsFuchs1 said:

the forum would have crashed way quicker with 5 of these threads

It was overloaded a bit earlier lmao

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

Just now, KatsuFm said:

Anyone else remember Luke complainining on WAN show about updating passwords, specifically senior management.

Luke has to be suspect number 1 for this, he did it to prove his point.

It'll be interesting to find out the method used, if it was simply a password, was it an old one? A reused one? Unsecured connection? Or a vulnerability within YouTube?  

Hopefully no permanent damage though, I can't imagine YouTube couldn't just snap fingers and undo this all anyway 

this gives all the feelings of a cookie stealing operation, this could be a persistant malware stealing your cookies to log into youtube(bypasses 2  factor auth)

Just now, Blqckqut said:

it was bc so many people are posting

yup all of them at once and it's still happening

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

2 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

Corridor indeed got hacked and they explained everything. But that was something with Oresomething (the guys who got Twitter accs etc), right?

And yes, youtube was able to get everything rolled back, with minor complications

From what I remember it had something to do with one of the people in their group clicking a bad link or something... I could be wrong as I half watched the explanation once. Also not really sure what the minor complications were as like I said I didn't really follow up on the situation enough to get all the details.

That being said I bet LTT likely has all their videos backed up somewhere as I am sure they have enough extra storage space somewhere to keep everything backed up physically and maybe even on a cloud server somewhere as well.

Is this the first time LTT is getting hacked?

if you go to the scamm link couldflare will warn you for phishing

Dual X5690 my beloved.

3 minutes ago, Chef.Duran said:

I have noticed that people are putting super chats in these scam live streams. I don't think this is a good idea given that they are giving out money to some random hacker, correct me if I am wrong. 

super chats .png

probably for a good cause though... possibly preventing the handful of people who could try and use the links

Just now, Eluminary said:

There's no way they're going to have the channel long enough to get payments from YouTube.  Unless they hacked all of their bank accounts too which is highly unlikely.  I sent a couple myself 

As long as the amount of money spent is less than what they otherwise wouldve scammed out, id say its a well spent investment

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

Linus "Privacy Invasion" Tips

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

1 minute ago, Continuum said:

If they changed the money withdrawal accounts already, yeah, all proceeds going to scammers. Well, IDK how changing the details and withdrawing works—there should be a limitation of a minimum amount or something, but who knows? Maybe they've nabbed whatever LMG has not yet withdrawn.

thats not possible. adsense pays monthly, adding and verifying bank accounts on adsense is a lengthy process, and even if a wire is sent through its probably not the hardest thing to track it down

oof 💀

image.png.a8a4bc585d3979569b16882abbc9e89a.png

Workstation:  7900x @ 5.73Ghz || Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX || Shapphire 7900XTX Pulse || 2x 32GB Geil RGB DDR5-6400 @ 6400 CL32 || XPG Power Reactor 850w @240V || Thermalright PS120SE

Server (Unraid): HP EliteDesk 800 G1 || i7 4770 @ Stock || 4x8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz

Server (Debian Lite x64): Raspberry 4b 8GB w/ Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB XC V30 A2 SD Card

1 minute ago, Blqckqut said:

it was bc so many people are posting

the forum is hosted on LMGs own iron, so with the influx of traffic from people wondering wtf is going on, its effectively being DDoSed rn

1 minute ago, VirusDumb said:

Is this related to the forum being down some half hour

i think this is a good moment to say

FIRST!!!!

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

image.png.1b0ac6fdec3043a4be6bc007e66208d8.png

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

Just now, DaMegaTaco said:

From what I remember it had something to do with one of the people in their group clicking a bad link or something... I could be wrong as I half watched the explanation once. Also not really sure what the minor complications were as like I said I didn't really follow up on the situation enough to get all the details.

That being said I bet LTT likely has all their videos backed up somewhere as I am sure they have enough extra storage space somewhere to keep everything backed up physically and maybe even on a cloud server somewhere as well.

They got a huge ass storage server, I think they do have the finished videos backed up. Also, YT can do a full recovery

And now that you mention it, indeed it was a very well imitated google acc (from what I can remember)

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Been like that for an hour, yeah.

Definitely processing things on YT's end, I'm seeing *really* old videos being re-added (FS700 Random Test Footage Featuring my Baby, Linus Tom and Esther Talk About NCIX's Achievements in 2011, etc).

I just got a notification that they posted something on floatplane. Only now when I go to floatplane I see that the channel is gone there too?  nvm traffic.

image.thumb.png.f8d67c65aba19bf2271b99743599f0f5.png

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

12 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

mac is like the gucci of tech

you pay way too much of something thats basic quality

so even after all these years there are people still living under a rock 🙂

Hint: Check what laptops they released in the last two years and go find me a comparable (in every aspect) one.

2 minutes ago, Garns said:

It'll be interesting to find out the method used, if it was simply a password, was it an old one? A reused one? Unsecured connection? Or a vulnerability within YouTube?  

Hopefully no permanent damage though, I can't imagine YouTube couldn't just snap fingers and undo this all anyway 

this gives all the feelings of a cookie stealing operation, this could be a persistant malware stealing your cookies to log into youtube(bypasses 2  factor auth)

Just now, Blqckqut said:

i think this is a good moment to say

FIRST!!!!

wdym

Dual X5690 my beloved.