3D down jacket - 250 USD?

zdemigod
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,

It's priced accordingly to its competitors (e.g. Patagonia, Arc'teryx, Rab).

It's an ultralight insulated jacket with light wind and rain resistance while also trying to be stylish. It's an expensive market, especially if you care about material quality.

If you care about warmth, get a thick puffy from any store.

If you care about waterproofing, get a rain coat, poncho, or umbrella from any store.

If you care about being stylish, go to any fast fashion brand.

If you care about a combination of all of those things while being lightweight, technical, and made well? Shell out some money.

Why is this thing so expensive, am I missing something? What kind of jacket is it, I usually watch every WAN show so I at least understand the purpose of the item but I'm super out of loop on this one. 

it's pretty well spelled out on the product page.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

It's an ultralight insulated jacket with light wind and rain resistance while also trying to be stylish. It's an expensive market, especially if you care about material quality.

If you care about waterproofing, get a rain coat, poncho, or umbrella from any store.

If you care about a combination of all of those things while being lightweight, technical, and made well? Shell out some money.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

The schtick on this one seems to be the 3D "down" which doesn't seem super worth it to me, but obviously there's a market for every product. Linus wouldn't come out with a product without doing at least some research into the particular sector they are looking toward (or having that research done for him to get him up to speed, I have to imagine that's someone's job now).

Seems like a well made product, same as anything else, and as they get into these higher end markets LTT is going to get more pushback on pricing, just like they did with backpack and screwdriver.

I'm the reason we can't have nice things

Row row fight the power!

5 minutes ago, digipen79 said:

The schtick on this one seems to be the 3D "down" which doesn't seem super worth it to me, but obviously there's a market for every product. Linus wouldn't come out with a product without doing at least some research into the particular sector they are looking toward (or having that research done for him to get him up to speed, I have to imagine that's someone's job now).

Seems like a well made product, same as anything else, and as they get into these higher end markets LTT is going to get more pushback on pricing, just like they did with backpack and screwdriver.

Yea thats fine if this is the market I was just trying to find out what exactly what market this is. 

44 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

Thank you this is what I wanted to know, ill do a bit of research on those brands.

29 minutes ago, zdemigod said:

Thank you this is what I wanted to know, ill do a bit of research on those brands.

No problem.

If I had to directly compare LTT's jacket (without actually owning the jacket!) I would compare it as...

- If the down insulation actually works, I would slot it between Arc'teryx' Gamma LT ($225 USD) and Atom LT ($260)

Gamma is breathable and wind/rain resistant, but zero insulation. Atom is the same to a lesser extent, but has insulation. And looks slightlyyy puffy.

- If the down insulation is ineffective, I think it would compete with Fjallraven's Sten Jacket ($200) and Skogso ($225)

Both jackets are different weights, and can both waterproofed to differing levels dependent on the user.

The LTTStore is dumb as hell and doesn't include weight.

Edited by saint_louis_bagels

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

16 hours ago, Bio Hazard said:

Also maybe add something to compare stiffness?

Now I'm curious how someone would measure and quantify stiffness of jackets.

Usually for something like that and whether a jacket/shell is loud or crinkly, I depend on reviewers to point it out.

Although sometimes a jacket will advertise that it's quiet.

Maybe compare stiffness to everyday items? Besides, rn I think their website features are the least of their concern…

4 minutes ago, Bio Hazard said:

Maybe compare stiffness to everyday items? Besides, rn I think their website features are the least of their concern…

FYI, only the thread author sees these notifications.

You need to either quote the user or use the "@" tag like @Bio Hazard if you want to get a user's attention.

18 hours ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

Personally, I'd compare it to the Arc'Teryx Proton LT (basically just a warmer Atom LT), or the Patagonia Nano Air

Either way, it's priced pretty much exactly the same as the competition.

Major difference is the insulation type (synthetic vs down), and we're not sure how warm the LTT jacket is.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

16 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Personally, I'd compare it to the Arc'Teryx Proton LT (basically just a warmer Atom LT), or the Patagonia Nano Air

Either way, it's priced pretty much exactly the same as the competition.

Major difference is the insulation type (synthetic vs down), and we're not sure how warm the LTT jacket is.

I actually compared it to the Atom LT and Gamma LT in a later post.

The Proton LT ($299 USD) is very air permeable, so it's not great in windy conditions. And from checking reviews, the Nano-Air seems to have the same issue.

If we trust the product page at face value, LTT may have created a jacket that competes with Arc'teryx's Gamma MX ($350) softshell jacket (MX has a fleece liner). The rain resistance of the Atom/Proton line isn't great, and the Gamma LT doesn't have any insulation.

41 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

FYI, only the thread author sees these notifications.

You need to either quote the user or use the "@" tag like @Bio Hazard if you want to get a user's attention.

Yes, I know that, I mean to quote but it appears I forgot to 

2 hours ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

The rain resistance of the Atom/Proton line isn't great

Yeah, my Atom LT wets out in about 5 minutes with fresh DWR lol, one of my nano puffs can last a bit longer, but still not great.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)