Have you ever been affected by LLT ads to buy products?

Toxveard

Have you ever been affected by LLT ads to buy products?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been affected by LLT ads to buy products? merch, ad spots, product placement whatever?

• yes
    • no

I'm curious if you guys have bought products because of. LTT

Yes, an LTT water bottle and mousepad.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

3 minutes ago, Toxveard said:

I'm curious if you guys have bought products because of. LTT

The only product I bought due to LTT video was the Corsair graphite 760t - 8 years ago.  Other videos I would say has not directly made me buy products but helped me make a decision in regards to CPU and GPU reviews over the years.

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

The only product I bought due to LTT video was the Corsair graphite 760t - 8 years ago.

I miss when Linus Tech Tips was dominated with computer centric sponsors.

And then i realized how much computer sponsorships have changed, and not for the better. So no, i didnt miss it anymore with the current state of things.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I bought a desk pad. Otherwise, I haven't bought anything from LTT, and I haven't been influenced to buy anything from one of their sponsors or ad spots (at least, as far as I know, maybe there's some subconscious influence going on that I'm not aware of...)

I've bought a water bottle, a couple desk pads, and a screwdriver from lttstore.com, but I generally don't buy products from the sponsors. 🤷‍♂️

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

26 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I've bought a water bottle, a couple desk pads, and a screwdriver from lttstore.com, but I generally don't buy products from the sponsors. 🤷‍♂️

I find the sponsored items are usually way out of my price range. 

Example A: cablemod

way to expensive for my taste, and for what? a few fancy cables?

I'm not saying most sponsors Items are 'bad' I just find most to be out of my price range or just not something I need. 

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

3 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

Thanks, this reminded me that I have bought stuff they've advertised: my cablemod kits :old-laugh:. 1 was just for aesthetics, the other was because I misplaced some of my cables and just wanted a kit that included all the ones I needed. I have a jumbled box of assorted PSU cables so it makes it easier to find the right one as well, as I know any of my cablemod stuff works with my EVGA G/T series PSUs. 

Aside from that, LTT is probably partly responsible for me getting mostly EK stuff when I first got into watercooling. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Thanks, this reminded me that I have bought stuff they've advertised: my cablemod kits :old-laugh:. 1 was just for aesthetics, the other was because I misplaced some of my cables and just wanted a kit that included all the ones I needed. I have a jumbled box of assorted PSU cables so it makes it easier to find the right one as well, as I know any of my cablemod stuff works with my EVGA G/T series PSUs. 

Aside from that, LTT is probably partly responsible for me getting mostly EK stuff when I first got into watercooling. 

Yea I looked into cablemod I just found it too expensive 

Went with a 27$ cable kit from amazon and it looks good enough for me lol

System Specs

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 hour ago, emosun said:

i think their electric car reviews have actually made me not want to buy said cars

quite true, what's wrong with having buttons? Why have a touchscreen interface you need to clumsily swipe through when you could have... hear me out... Button! (patented in 1880, may I remind you...)

i'll go one step further. i have not been influenced by any ad in the last 10 years to buy a particular product. which is exactly why i have no qualms about ad-blocking. Why should an advertiser pay to have an ad served to me that is never going to get a return on?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

I'm not saying most sponsors Items are 'bad' I just find most to be out of my price range or just not something I need. 

True, will say be quiet and i fix it is the two things i have bought because of ltt and I'm forever grateful the quality of the i fix it kit is so next level. I'm guilty of using the i fix it but with my impact driver... They are all as good as new

25 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i'll go one step further. i have not been influenced by any ad in the last 10 years to buy a particular product. which is exactly why i have no qualms about ad-blocking. Why should an advertiser pay to have an ad served to me that is never going to get a return on?

Facts, personally i only get influenced by how example Linus or the other writers talk about brands. I love my i fix it kit and i purely bought it because of the praise the guys gave it doing videos

5 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

Yea I looked into cablemod I just found it too expensive 

Went with a 27$ cable kit from amazon and it looks good enough for me lol

Cablemod cables don't really cost anywhere near what they charge for either anyway, at least based on the invoice I have from their supplier.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I bought the desk pad. 

Because for the price and size, it was the best price. You can typically find 900x400mm deskpads for cheap, but any greater than that is hard to find at a reasonable price. While LMG's deskpad is the same price, regardless of the size. I got one that covers my entire desk.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

44 minutes ago, Caroline said:

They're not getting us.

JozxPII.png

Don't know that I'm on any part of the spectrum, but I feel this. Ads have essentially no effect on me.

Even if I was swayed by sponsors of LTT or the LTT store, the service/items are not in my use case, or in the case of LTT merch, too expensive.

I subscribed to PIA for 1 month when I went to China as Linus mentioned that it worked in China and was able to use whatsapp, Google and Youtube. I couldn't be bothered to research other VPNs.

Bought a lot more things that appeared on LTT that wasn't an ad though. 🤣

I find most advertising annoying and offensive (do they really think I'm that stupid?).  There are a couple of commercials that stick with me but I can never remember the product and wasn't interested in it anyway.

To OP's question, I have never purchased anything advertised by LTT or from the LTT store.  Some things are just dumb.  Ridge wallet?  2 pieces of metal and a rubber band for an insane amount of money?  The jerky sounds interesting but I can buy awesome jerky anywhere here (some times from the trunk of a car).

I have purchased a couple of things from the LTT Store, also bought a subscription to Private Internet Access a long time ago because of their sponsorship, and also bought an iFix It kit because of how much they loved them before they made their own screw driver. I absolutely love my iFix it kit, my desk pads and hair scrunchies from LTT Store, and I still use PIA even though I haven't seen them as a sponsor in a while.

I’ve bought a few things from hearing it from tech creators. I bought a NordVPN subscription for 2 years for $80, which I use for things such as unlocking my devices on school Wi-Fi.

My gaming laptop, an Asus G14, was bought heavily from the influence of the video from LTT.

Ive also bought from Dbrand, again seen from lots of tech creators, and have since got them for all my products that have skins available for them.

Whenever i plan to buy anything or do anything, i tend to visit relevant discussion boards, reddit subs etc and talk to other people so i can make an informed decision, my brain is pretty much trained to block out all advertising, kinda like our brains block out the view of our nose lol 

On 3/22/2023 at 10:37 AM, SignatureSigner said:

Kinda this. Combined with recent sponsors oftne being stuff like server management programs, it's kind of just out of my wheelhouse. 

I did subscribe to dollar shave club back in the day for a year or so because of LTT. Other than that I can't think of anything I've been influenced to buy because of a sponsor spot. 

On the flip side I usually check out their videos on stuff before buying. I.E hardware benchmarks, or any other sort of stuff that they may have a video on and I'm looking at (latest inquiry being the secretlab magnus pro desk). 

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)