Technology going backwards in the name of PROFITS....

ah the printer rant. classic. printers are the dlc for computers... avoid using one at all cost... use the one at work if posable... only thing that i need to print is stupid amazon rma... but i herd you can go to shoppers and use there's 🤔 but any way the printer is the definition of planned opulence. desined from the ground up to fQck with you...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

printers are the dlc for computers.

You mean dictionary? Or what?

The presumption is that English is not your native language.

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

.. avoid using one at all cost...

You obviously don't belong to any organisation. What do we use a printer for? Notices on notice boards, membership forms, job forms, check lists, books. Paper? We bought 6 reams a month ago, some for home use and passed a few reams on to an organisation I belong to.

13 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

You mean dictionary? Or what?

The presumption is that English is not your native language.

You obviously don't belong to any organisation. What do we use a printer for? Notices on notice boards, membership forms, job forms, check lists, books. Paper? We bought 6 reams a month ago, some for home use and passed a few reams on to an organisation I belong to.

dlc is down load content aka micro transactions

i have never printed a paper is years. if i did need to it most likely be for a resume. other thing was amazon and the rma... witch i could not do because i had no printer so lost $70... but saved that $70 for not having a printer...🤔🤷‍♂️

people at work use it all day... for stupid stuff witch should be automated... but that's grocery stores...

just fill and chill

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

3 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

It would not eat a cookie in a ziploc bag though.

This is the best part of this thread so far. The questions....

Do you really have a coworker that is that absent-minded about their snacks, or was this a "Hmm... I wonder...?" situation?

18 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

dlc is down load content aka micro transactions

Arrhh, I see, it doesn't make sense i.e. not English otherwise it would have been written as DLC.

18 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i have never printed a paper is years.

A question, do you ever read books, printed on paper?

Note - paper never has a problem with flat batteries. Paper is always ON, ready to read.

9 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Arrhh, I see, it doesn't make sense i.e. not English otherwise it would have been written as DLC.

A question, do you ever read books, printed on paper?

Note - paper never has a problem with flat batteries. Paper is always ON, ready to read.

i read a book once in school about 3 kids going to school and the teacher wanted to do and experiment about how hitler forced people to do things... there was for ranks and a lower rank could not talk to a higher rank. anyway things got out of hand and almost the hole school was under the teacher control... no idea what the book was called... thats the only book i read.

other then work and weighting down cd keys i dont need too.

i have a back up power supply

i read on here everyday... make me feel like there some one to talk too...  other then the wall.

Edited by thrasher_565

33 minutes ago, sailsman63 said:

This is the best part of this thread so far. The questions....

Do you really have a coworker that is that absent-minded about their snacks, or was this a "Hmm... I wonder...?" situation?

Miners are just big children. There’s been many “hmm I wonder”

@Radium_Angeltheyre all horrible build quality though….

Spoiler

5B12EFA0-FC57-40C5-81CB-23564A493569.thumb.jpeg.321fb36b72a4f9dca5e3b70f62922f8a.jpeg94B7478E-F1CE-4E92-B838-5E58CB3BEC9B.thumb.jpeg.5457df418f9ded404eb2467464cf209d.jpeg

13227B49-35D5-44CC-AE7A-5176D5A063B8.thumb.jpeg.387f59087f08e85e3247fb4fbe3e8ef5.jpeg

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Hide contents

dose a better job then a new printer 🤔 you still get thow lines...

Edited by thrasher_565

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

dose a better job then a new printer 🤔 you still get thow lines...

It only does that when you copy something. Something about the eye getting stuck on the glass. Still prints just fine though. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

15 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i read a book once in school .. thats the only book i read.

That explains your writing level as I originally thought that it might be that English wasn't your native language.

When writing a lot of articles and books, writing instruction manuals, check lists, job sheets, etc. paper is a crucial item to have and a printer produces a neat finished item.

3 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

That explains your writing level as I originally thought that it might be that English wasn't your native language.

When writing a lot of articles and books, writing instruction manuals, check lists, job sheets, etc. paper is a crucial item to have and a printer produces a neat finished item.

paper is dead just face that fact. you can do all thow things with out it...

i do wright things down its called notepad 🤯

I've had better luck with HP printers working properly with Linux than any other brand I've tried. How are the other brands doing with that these days?

34 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

I see you've had very limited experience with government bureaucracy and medical care. Stacks and stacks of paper and endless forms and signatures.

19 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

If you get out into the wider community, you would find that paper is most definitely not dead.

For someone who can't write English correctly I'm not surprised that that is what you think.

When interacting with people, writing English correctly and being able to write on paper is very important.

A sign-in sheet. A job sheet that stays with the job. A membership sheet that can be archived.

An instance, what do you write music on to read while playing? OK, a tablet but then you need to be able to recharge the batteries. Are you always in a place where there is power available? Also a paper copy will be bigger and easier to read and easy to edit.

We are quite often are away from mains supply.

What about charts? Electronics that have to be waterproof or a laminated bit of paper which will be much larger than a phone display? I certainly don't want a cell phone on my sea kayak deck.

Check lists. You might have it on your device but what about someone else who needs to do the job and doesn't have a copy on their device? A paper check list kept where it is needed and is ready to be used - paper. The past week I'd have gone through check lists over 10 times. Paper.

43 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

The use of paper might be dead for you personally, but it is absolutely still widely used in a lot of places. 

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

Reveal hidden contents

I've had pretty good experiences with those printers myself. I dealt with a few several years ago, and aside from one getting jammed so badly I had to take the entire thing apart they all worked well, and they easily printed hundreds of sheets per week. One or two of them printed thousands per week, and they never gave us any issues. 

As for personal use at home I'm a big fan of Brother printers. I still think most consumer printers are evil, but I've had excellent luck with both of the Brother inkjet printers I've owned for the last 9 years. The one I have now just sits on my Wi-Fi network, and it works basically every time I need it without any driver installation on Windows or macOS.

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

12 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

If you get out into the wider community, you would find that paper is most definitely not dead.

For someone who can't write English correctly I'm not surprised that that is what you think.

When interacting with people, writing English correctly and being able to write on paper is very important.

A sign-in sheet. A job sheet that stays with the job. A membership sheet that can be archived.

An instance, what do you write music on to read while playing? OK, a tablet but then you need to be able to recharge the batteries. Are you always in a place where there is power available? Also a paper copy will be bigger and easier to read and easy to edit.

We are quite often are away from mains supply.

What about charts? Electronics that have to be waterproof or a laminated bit of paper which will be much larger than a phone display? I certainly don't want a cell phone on my sea kayak deck.

Check lists. You might have it on your device but what about someone else who needs to do the job and doesn't have a copy on their device? A paper check list kept where it is needed and is ready to be used - paper. The past week I'd have gone through check lists over 10 times. Paper.

keep digging... you can do ALL that on a pc...  i can even express myself with emojis 🎮 and no i cant wright vary well and never will.

13 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I see you've had very limited experience with government bureaucracy and medical care. Stacks and stacks of paper and endless forms and signatures.

i dont have a doctor so no. would be nice to have one to get an inhaler but ...

7 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

The use of paper might be dead for you personally, but it is absolutely still widely used in a lot of places. 

ya its used all the time but dose not have to be is the point. like i said my work uses stacks all day long.... i print 2 peace of paper to then have to go wight down what to order for icecream then go back up stairs to fax it... then the fax prints a paper saying its sent... but all that could just auto order... or i could just do it on the scanner phone like any other businesses would do and email it... no paper at all... 

Edited by thrasher_565

27 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

keep digging... you can do ALL that on a pc...  i can even express myself with emojis 🎮 and no i cant wright vary well and never will.

You most definitely can't do all of that on a computer and you most definitely "cant wright vary well" as you poor writing tells us. It should be "can't very write well", note the apostrophe in "can't" as it is short for "can not", "vary" should be "very" and "wright" should be "write".

Walk outside into the world and paper will get you there but the computer needs power and "out there" there most likely won't be any power or communication links. If you always sit at home then you might be safe but that's not how the "real" world works.

Back to printers - a Brother under this desk and an HP connected to the other computer my partner uses, both laser.

Scanners - mine, an old inkjet HP and an old inkjet Canon for my partner.

7 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

You most definitely can't do all of that on a computer and you most definitely "cant wright vary well" as you poor writing tells us. It should be "can't very write well", note the apostrophe in "can't" as it is short for "can not", "vary" should be "very" and "wright" should be "write".

Walk outside into the world and paper will get you there but the computer needs power and "out there" there most likely won't be any power or communication links. If you always sit at home then you might be safe but that's not how the "real" world works.

Back to printers - a Brother under this desk and an HP connected to the other computer my partner uses, both laser.

Scanners - mine, an old inkjet HP and an old inkjet Canon for my partner.

i been on this form longer then you and people no i cant wright. but instead of just not bother and listen to thows people i do whats best for me. even if there people being a grammar notize. if you dont like dont respond. dont read it.

anyway my point still stands.

often times i find my self looken for a pen to even wright things down... i even have to hid it...

i do need to make a notepad of words so i can find the spelling of it as i do the same spelling error every time and my spellcheck is a peace of shit. google works ok thow.

i have Dyslexia sorry...

2 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i have Dyslexia sorry...

Sorry to hear that.

However it and your experience have absolutely nothing to do with whether paper is important or not.

Paper for you, No. Paper for the rest of the world Yes.

Paper dead? Then what are the book & literature Youtubers that I've been watching lately talking about then? What's the rectangular folding thingy they're holding in their videos??

On the subject of printers, sure one can just go to a print shop to print stuff, but then you're at the mercy of heading out there in the first place, then the queue and the price to pay for printing stuff. Some days it's just much more convenient to print out stuff from your own printer in your own home. Also reading stuff on paper is less eye-straining than reading from a screen.

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

10 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

theyre all horrible build quality though….

I love the Sharpie...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

On 3/20/2023 at 3:34 PM, RememberWhen77 said:

Good day to all of you.  I'm hoping this post leads to a full on video by linus so please show your interest and draw some attention.

I have been in the IT industry since 1993.  I've seen some amazing growth in power and efficiency of pcs, servers, displays, video game systems, and the list goes on.  But one product that amazes me in its continuous push toward irrelevance is the Printer.  Its that technology that everyone needs and continues to need but gets shoved in the back corner like a basturd step child.  

Recently I had the misfortune of having to install and configure a small HP printer.  Specifically the HP LaserJet Pro 4001dwe.  Full disclosuer, some of this is my own fault for not properly researching the product.  That being said let me explain what is happening in the industry - or at least at HP from what myself and several other associates are seeing.

Lets take a trip back in time.  The year is 1999.  I'm currently a part of an IT department at a large printing firm.  Responsible for deployment of PCs, printers, monitors, and servers.  A pentium II 266 is all the rage with windows 98.  Printer manufacturer of choice was HP LaserJets and Epson dot matrix (long live three part forms!).  I could deploy a new HP Laserjet 4050tn in about 3 - 5 minutes with 2 minutes of that being the unboxing time. 

Steps required:

1.  Unbox

2.  Pull protective shipping seal from fresh laser cartridge and insert into printer.

3.  Powerup Printer

4.  Set IP address

5.  Setup printer share in windows NT 4 or Novell 3.12

6. Done

That was it.  Simple and elegant.  Those printers were repairable and built like a tank.  Ran for years usually needing nothing more than pickup rollers and an occasional fuser. Almost every HP printer regardless of size had these same simple steps.  Printing in 5 -10 minutes after opening the box.

Fast forward to today. I purchased the HP LaserJet Pro 4001dwe as a small desktop printer for check printing in an accounting clerks office. 

Here are the steps to get this top of the line - nearly 25 years newer technology working.

1.  Unbox

2.  Install next to PC on Desk

3.  Connect USB Cable as there is only 1 network line in this old office that is connected tot he PC

4.  Install software.  Failed because I didn't read the manual and know that the printer needed its own network connection in order to function.

5.  Steel network cable from PC to Printer.  Power up printer.  Wait 45 minutes for printer to download and install firmware updates on printer.  WTF!!!  PCL 6 has been around and working flawlessly for 25 years!!  Why doesn't this just work.

6.  Put in small switch so I can connect the PC as well as the printer as the printer will not work unless it is connected to the internet

7.  Finish setting up the Printer on the pc

8.  Required creating an account at HP so they can sell me over prices cartridges of toner for the rest of the short 2 year anticipated life of these piece of crap landfill filling printers. (15-20 more minutes)

I have never nor would I have ever dreamed that a printer would require the internet to setup its basic printing functionality.  In the push to secure as much money as possible from its customers HP has taken the approach of Lock it down so they have no option but to buy from us.  Linus just reviewed the xeon processors from intel that are doing the same thing.  Pay us again and we will let you use the product at its full potential even though you already payed for the hardware that drives those features.  Where is the line in the sand for these subscription service product deployments.  There are some products that just need to work without an outstretched hand like oliver saying ....  "More Please".  Especially when the useful life of the product is 2-3 years.  A message needs to be sent to intel, HP, Apple, and any other tech company that these practices are not OK for every product to go to market.  Shareholders love this but consumers HATE this.  They shouldn't even be legal.  If the feature is in the hardware, and I paid for the hardware, why should I pay more to use what I already bought.  Its a sunk cost.  A printer that I paid for shouldn't be required to go to the internet just so mom and dad can make sure I only put moms cartridge in the printer.  Not to mention the added complexity to setup a printer and wasted time.  And its marketed as A PRO product.  We need to do better with technology products.  HP will die as quickly as it grew if these practices don't stop. I for one have switched to brother and will try almost any other brand to avoid the experience that HP is trying to establish as the new norm.

Comments and Discussion please!!  Linus, please do a comprehensive review on the difference in experience between a 20 year old printer and todays.  You can include a comparison in print quality and serviceability as well.  Aside from wireless I fail to see where there is any innovation at a company that was a leader.

Louis Rossmann actually talks about this subject pretty often.

On 3/21/2023 at 1:50 AM, RememberWhen77 said:

Your missing the point.  The point isn't the printer.  Its the god damn subscription model for everything mentality that is taking over the tech industry.  What happens when nvidia says buy my high end video card for $1600.  Oh you want to get 120 FPS but are only seeing 60.  Pay me another $120 a year and I can unlock that for you.  The hardware does it already you just need a code and I need more cash.

Its coming.  The signs are all there.   

9gag.com_.jpg

HPs laserjets have been just fine imo. A point of advice. You can find old laserjets for pretty cheap, especially from workspace clearances, put in a new or recycled cartridge and buy an SBC and put CUPS on it. It takes about an hour to do this and it is a lot cheaper, reliable, repairable and it has none of HPs bs software. The networking works flawlessly and I would any day put in an hour of work setting and customising once that than to use HPs shitty consumer printers.

If you can't be bothered to do this, then yeah, brother is good. I also heard good things about kodak's printers, but seemingly they were discontinued 10 years ago