Internal optical drive with USB 2.0 motherboard header

ExalyThor

Does such a thing exist? I am building an AM4 system and I'll use m.2 exclusively for storage. I would like to give up on SATA connectors altogether, so I am curious if there are any internal 5.25" optical drives which have only one connector to the motherboard for power and data, that being the USB 2.0 header.

The only optical drives I've ever owned had either IDE or SATA. Of course the last optical drive I owned was 10 years ago… 😄

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

29 minutes ago, ExalyThor said:

Does such a thing exist? I am building an AM4 system and I'll use m.2 exclusively for storage. I would like to give up on SATA connectors altogether, so I am curious if there are any internal 5.25" optical drives which have only one connector to the motherboard for power and data, that being the USB 2.0 header.

Natively no, I have never seen that. But with a couple adapters, I don't see why it couldn't. A usb to SATA adapter with power input from a barrel jack, mixed with a usb 2.0 header to port adapter and Molex/SATA power to 12v barrel jack, could work.

It's incredibly janky and is only in theory could work, but there you go

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

13 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

Natively no, I have never seen that. But with a couple adapters, I don't see why it couldn't. A usb to SATA adapter with power input from a barrel jack, mixed with a usb 2.0 header to port adapter and Molex/SATA power to 12v barrel jack, could work.

It's incredibly janky and is only in theory could work, but there you go

The reason I want such an optical drive is to have less cables, with none coming from the PSU, not to do it just for the sake of doing it.

I'll bet you find a internal usb to SATA adapter but, I have never seen something native 

it existed in this topic in 2015. So I would assume it is still possible today. These solutions do talk about adapters as well.

Edit: The amazon link still works. Lol. Usb -header to female usb port x sata to male USB cable. That would work right?

1 hour ago, FrowningHippo said:

it existed in this topic in 2015. So I would assume it is still possible today. These solutions do talk about adapters as well.

Edit: The amazon link still works. Lol. Usb -header to female usb port x sata to male USB cable. That would work right?

No. I was hoping for an optical drive which would simply have a cable like this for data and power, instead of the regular sata power and data cables:Amazon.com: USB 2.0 Internal Motherboard Header Cable - 20" : Electronics

19 minutes ago, ExalyThor said:

No. I was hoping for an optical drive which would simply have a cable like this for data and power, instead of the regular sata power and data cables:Amazon.com: USB 2.0 Internal Motherboard Header Cable - 20" : Electronics

I don't think that exists. But then again. I don't know everything.

A 5.25" ODD would use more power than what USB can provide, and will probably need 12V too.

You could hack in an external USB laptop drive...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

16 hours ago, Kilrah said:

A 5.25" ODD would use more power than what USB can provide, and will probably need 12V too.

You could hack in an external USB laptop drive...

There are external optical drives which are be powered by usb only. Also one motherboard usb 2.0 connector supplies 1 amp of current, at 5v that's 10w, more than enough to power an optical drive.

4 hours ago, ExalyThor said:

1 amp of current, at 5v that's 10w

1A x 5V = 5W.

But yes that's enough for the externals based on laptop drives as mentioned.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 8:25 PM, Kilrah said:

1A x 5V = 5W.

That's silly of me lmao. I was not paying attention.