Dual boot and Win11

Me again, another topic 🙂

So I still have a dual boot Win10/Linux Lint system

Wanted to update to Win11, used the update tool, it did update ok but then ended up refusing to boot with NO BOOT DRIVE 😞 

Had to rollback to Win10, wondering if the issue could be that Win11 don't like GRUB/dual boot ???

What should I do ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

When you update from win 10 to 11 it overwrites your bootloader.

Hence why you can't boot into your Linux partition.

Win11 has some security settings in your MB it would like you to have.

Since you were able to udpate I'm assuming it's set up correctly enough.

I would think you'd need to recreate the bootloader via GRUB to get it working again.

Just now, fuzz0r said:

When you update from win 10 to 11 it overwrites your bootloader.

Hence why you can't boot into your Linux partition.

Win11 has some security settings in your MB it would like you to have.

Since you were able to udpate I'm assuming it's set up correctly enough.

I would think you'd need to recreate the bootloader via GRUB to get it working again.

I didn't update, I mean the update went well but then it didn't boot at all, and Windows repaired it by rolling  back to Win10 !

I've completely separate installs, with 2 bootloaders, GRUB/Ubuntu and Windows (both are on the same drive tho), but in BIOS set the default to be Windows, and these boot options in BIOS weren't changed; when in Win10 both works (the Windows one don't allow to go to Linux obviously)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I didn't update, I mean the update went well but then it didn't boot at all, and Windows repaired it by rolling  back to Win10 !

I've completely separate installs, with 2 bootloaders, GRUB/Ubuntu and Windows (both are on the same drive tho), but in BIOS set the default to be Windows, and these boot options in BIOS weren't changed; when in Win10 both works (the Windows one don't allow to go to Linux obviously)

I believe it might be related to the fact that Win11 wants secure boot active, which might interfere with your Linux boot options.

There are guides on the net on how to make it work with win11 and a Linux installation as well.

Phew!! I was just about to install Ubuntu in dual boot config. But right now, If it requires to do something to make it work, then I am staying away. Hope we have some easy fix soon.

Thanks to this thread!!

Nilesh Gonsalves

Intel 12400F on Gigabyte B760M DS3H AX 1.x(DDR 5 MB)

XPG 8 GB X 4 4800 memory

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Windforce Graphics

Crucial PCIe 3.0 NVME SSD for Game drive

Cooler Master MWE 650 Power Supply

1 hour ago, Nilesh Gonsalves said:

Phew!! I was just about to install Ubuntu in dual boot config. But right now, If it requires to do something to make it work, then I am staying away. Hope we have some easy fix soon.

Thanks to this thread!!

In your case, just use WSLg (Windows 11 - WSL2 + GUI/Audio/GPU support)), or WSL2 (Windows 10). So much easier.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

In your case, just use WSLg (Windows 11 - WSL2 + GUI/Audio/GPU support)), or WSL2 (Windows 10). So much easier.

This would still require to boot in to windows before accessing the Linux subsystem, correct?  I am planning to have native Linux installation to try some Steam games on windows and then on linux.....just for the fun of it, no specific purpose( like benchmarking and such.)

Nilesh Gonsalves

Intel 12400F on Gigabyte B760M DS3H AX 1.x(DDR 5 MB)

XPG 8 GB X 4 4800 memory

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Windforce Graphics

Crucial PCIe 3.0 NVME SSD for Game drive

Cooler Master MWE 650 Power Supply

I've been using Linux since 2011, and one lesson I learned is "DON'T DUAL BOOT" !

The experience is terrible, every Windows Update will bork your GRUB bootloader.

Nowadays, with Windows 11, secure boot and TPM, you are in for an even worst headache dual-booting

That being said, if you absolutely want to dual boot, here is the best way IMHO:

1. Use 2 separate disks (not partition, disks!), one with Windows, one with Linux.
  2. Press F12 on PC boot (or whatever depending on the brand) and choose what disk to boot..
    No messing around with GRUB, and Windows won't destroy your boot partition every update!

To be clear, GRUB is an amazing solution... It is Windows that sucks! they purposefully destroy the GRUB loader every time there is an update to push Linux out of the computer!

If it has been done before, I can do it...

If it has never been done, just leave me some time to find a way!

On 3/15/2023 at 6:22 PM, PDifolco said:

Me again, another topic 🙂

So I still have a dual boot Win10/Linux Lint system

Wanted to update to Win11, used the update tool, it did update ok but then ended up refusing to boot with NO BOOT DRIVE 😞 

Had to rollback to Win10, wondering if the issue could be that Win11 don't like GRUB/dual boot ???

What should I do ?

HI there ,first of all use bootable pen drive and then update the os to win 11 , move to bios/uefi select linux grub as your default boot loader done !

if updating to win 11 affects the boot option then reinstall the kali with 10 gb swap area and 90 gb main partition