is this cpu cooler good for a xeon e5 2680v4?

shreklover09
Go to solution Solved by freeagent,

Xeons are usually cheaper than i7s ya bunch of snobs 😄

i saw this cpu cooler "thermalright Assassin King 120" and i was wondering if this thing can cool that cpu. am trying to  work on a budget gaming pc build also its only $25  image.jpeg.699bd3b0043633e85ae12a7cd26c8627.jpeg

Edited by shreklover09

I'd personally want something a little beefier, but I'm honestly more interested in why you chose an E5 2680v4 for your budget gaming PC.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd personally want something a little beefier, but I'm honestly more interested in why you chose an E5 2680v4 for your budget gaming PC.

Its probably fine as those chips arent that hot running.

But yeah also curious a ryzen 1600 is like 40$ and wipes the floor with that xeon.

The single core performance is so poor on that xeon I wouldnt be surprised if it wont even do 60fps in modern games. Seems like its basically a i7 3770 single core wise which isnt good

Surprisingly good CPU cooler. That's what I'm using to cool my Ryzen 5 5600.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Its probably fine as those chips arent that hot running.

But yeah also curious a ryzen 1600 is like 40$ and wipes the floor with that xeon.

The single core performance is so poor on that xeon I wouldnt be surprised if it wont even do 60fps in modern games. Seems like its basically a i7 3770 single core wise which isnt good

i dont konw i want to stream and stuff its a 14 core 28 thread i saw sme benchmarks on it seems good for me cause i play battlefield 1/5 also some gta and minecraft stuff like that nothing really intnsive also am paring it with a rx 5500xt 8gb. plus its $35 

14 minutes ago, JoshB2084 said:

Surprisingly good CPU cooler. That's what I'm using to cool my Ryzen 5 5600.

temps?

4 minutes ago, shreklover09 said:

temps?

Idle Temperature: 28-35C, I'm only playing BeamNG.Drive, load gameplay temperature: ~65C.

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

3 minutes ago, JoshB2084 said:

Idle Temperature: 28-35C, I'm only playing BeamNG.Drive, load gameplay temperature: ~65C.

that's pretty good 

1 hour ago, shreklover09 said:

i dont konw i want to stream and stuff its a 14 core 28 thread i saw sme benchmarks on it seems good for me cause i play battlefield 1/5 also some gta and minecraft stuff like that nothing really intnsive also am paring it with a rx 5500xt 8gb. plus its $35 

You can do that with any Core i7 on the LGA 2011v3 socket. Sure, you lose some cores and gain a little more heat output, but your single core performance will be quite better.

My i7-5820K at stock was about equal with a Ryzen 1600 at 3.8Ghz

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You can do that with any Core i7 on the LGA 2011v3 socket. Sure, you lose some cores and gain a little more heat output, but your single core performance will be quite better.

My i7-5820K at stock was about equal with a Ryzen 1600 at 3.8Ghz

i dont know whats the differnece of the e5 2680v4 and 2696v3 besides ghz but it seems good 

2 minutes ago, shreklover09 said:

i dont know whats the differnece of the e5 2680v4 and 2696v3 besides ghz 

Outside of server tasks? Not enough to really matter.

2680v4 is built on a better architecture and has more cores, but is clocked lower.

2690v3 is built on an older architecture and has fewer cores, but is clocked faster and consumes more power.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/91754/intel-xeon-processor-e52680-v4-35m-cache-2-40-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/81713/intel-xeon-processor-e52690-v3-30m-cache-2-60-ghz.html

The main difference is core count. I'm willing to bet that the newer Broadwell cores in the 2680v4 make up for being clocked slower than the older, higher clocked Haswell cores in the 2690.

I'm still curious as to why you would pick a Xeon with 10+ cores for a gaming/streaming PC instead of any Core i7 on that socket. Games tend to like singlethreaded performance, and you'll get better single thread out of most of the Core i7s compared to either of the Xeons you've mentioned so far.

You can still game and stream with 6 or 8 cores. Especially if you do the encoding on your GPU, there's just no real reason to buy a Xeon such as the ones you've mentioned.

Not to mention Xeon support on X99 motherboards can be finicky, depending on the motherboard and BIOS version.

is like $120 cad but i dont know i always wanted a xeon and see how it is also idk also video editing 

26 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Outside of server tasks? Not enough to really matter.

2680v4 is built on a better architecture and has more cores, but is clocked lower.

2690v3 is built on an older architecture and has fewer cores, but is clocked faster and consumes more power.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/91754/intel-xeon-processor-e52680-v4-35m-cache-2-40-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/81713/intel-xeon-processor-e52690-v3-30m-cache-2-60-ghz.html

The main difference is core count. I'm willing to bet that the newer Broadwell cores in the 2680v4 make up for being clocked slower than the older, higher clocked Haswell cores in the 2690.

I'm still curious as to why you would pick a Xeon with 10+ cores for a gaming/streaming PC instead of any Core i7 on that socket. Games tend to like singlethreaded performance, and you'll get better single thread out of most of the Core i7s compared to either of the Xeons you've mentioned so far.

You can still game and stream with 6 or 8 cores. Especially if you do the encoding on your GPU, there's just no real reason to buy a Xeon such as the ones you've mentioned.

Not to mention Xeon support on X99 motherboards can be finicky, depending on the motherboard and BIOS version.

MACHINIST MR9A PRO X99 Motherboard LGA2011-3 Support DDR4 RECC NON-ECC RAM Memory Xeon E5 V3 V4 CPU Processor SATA 3.0 M.2 NVMEdo you know if this board can overclock?

9 hours ago, shreklover09 said:

You wont be using your cpu for streaming thats done on the gpu. That thing wont be able to game + stream at the same time if you use the cpu for encoding.

I know it sounds good for 35$ but battlefield 5 will struggle to get 60fps due to its very low single core performance.

I highly advice against this purchase as in newer games 8 cores will be used which means it will run even slower to stay within its rated limited that cannot be altered

52 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You wont be using your cpu for streaming thats done on the gpu. That thing wont be able to game + stream at the same time if you use the cpu for encoding.

I know it sounds good for 35$ but battlefield 5 will struggle to get 60fps due to its very low single core performance.

I highly advice against this purchase as in newer games 8 cores will be used which means it will run even slower to stay within its rated limited that cannot be altered

i dont know if this is accrete but this guy be getting 110 fps on battlefield 5 

also is the i7 5920k good  

29 minutes ago, shreklover09 said:

i dont know if this is accrete but this guy be getting 110 fps on battlefield 5 

also is the i7 5920k good  

So they did some slight modifications in bios to make it work a lot better for gaming where it unlocks the turbo and allows for higher boosting.

Which it normally is not capable of doing. However this is NOT a guaranteed feature on any board AND is not guaranteed stable or same performance on any xeon even if you buy the same one twice and test them in the same board.

It is a very good comparison and does show that a 5600x a budget new cpu easily maxes out a 2080ti.

Bf5 seems to have fixed the optimization issues so it's good to go now to play with it.

Still I don't recommend it as well the reason these have stayed relevant is because the ps4 and xbox one are still around once those go as shown every console generation full refresh is that specs for games take a BIG jump.

The main thing you can see is that it is dipping in the lows below 60fps in a fair few games. Nothing it can do there thats the single core limit.

As for the 5920k don't bother.

Just don't bother with the x99 platform anymore it's been eclipsed by first gen ryzen which is cheaper by now normally. Hell for like 60-70$ you have a ryzen 3600(x) which is WAY better.

If you wish to get a cheap but long lasting pc that you can upgrade a bit to stretch out it's lifetime by years I'd go for the am4 platform with a b450 board and a ryzen 3600 if able. If not a 2600 will do.

If you are ok with building this system and then ditching it in a couple years because the cpu is too weak for basically everything now then go for this one if it's cheap cheap.

Xeons are usually cheaper than i7s ya bunch of snobs 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14