Router vs access point

Do i need the Deco run first to the modem or can i do modem to switch then deco's? 

Also do the decos run in router mode or access point mode ?

When 10gig arrive in a month i want to run the mesh system every unit full speed but they ussually have only 1 port high speed others 1gig, the 10gig modem from isp will have only 1 10gig port to use and i want to run single 10gig cables from switch.

Do i get a speed reduction between the modes also ? 

The firewall stuff i dont wanna control it from decos, modem is good enough i think

1 hour ago, Cemil2565 said:

Do i need the Deco run first to the modem or can i do modem to switch then deco's? Also do the decos run in router mode or access point mode ?

I assume you mean an ISP's modem/router, not a pure modem. In that case you can connect it to a switch and the Wi-Fi APs to the switch. Otherwise you'd want a single router after the modem.

You want to run the Decos in AP mode, to avoid double-NAT. The ISP's modem/router should act as the single router in the network and provide DHCP and firewall.

1 hour ago, Cemil2565 said:

When 10gig arrive in a month i want to run the mesh system every unit full speed but they ussually have only 1 port high speed others 1gig, the 10gig modem from isp will have only 1 10gig port to use and i want to run single 10gig cables from switch. Do i get a speed reduction between the modes also?

While Wi-Fi 6 has a theoretical maximum of 9.6 Gbps, you're unlikely to see that in practice, especially in a mesh.

I assume by "modes" you mean nodes. A Wi-Fi mesh node can either send or receive, so for each hop the signal has to go through before it reaches your computer you lose half of your bandwidth. Ideally you want all of the wired, so they can go directly to the modem/router.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 hours ago, Cemil2565 said:

Do i need the Deco run first to the modem or can i do modem to switch then deco's? 

Also do the decos run in router mode or access point mode ?

When 10gig arrive in a month i want to run the mesh system every unit full speed but they ussually have only 1 port high speed others 1gig, the 10gig modem from isp will have only 1 10gig port to use and i want to run single 10gig cables from switch.

Do i get a speed reduction between the modes also ? 

The firewall stuff i dont wanna control it from decos, modem is good enough i think

If you are running cables from the switch to each node individually, you still only need at maximum 2.5Gbit, assuming they are multi-gig capable.  That should save you a lot of money vs a 10Gbit switch.

It would be overkill to go 10Gbit to the nodes as on average you'll be lucky to hit Gigabit and at best 1.4-1.6Gbit.  I've only ever achieved the latter on a WiFi 6e AP with an Intel AX210 based client at 160Mhz channel width.  Most devices will land somewhere between 500-900Mbit, depending on their WiFi chipset and you're in the same room as the node.

I suppose if the node is WiFi 6e you might double that, as it will be 1.4Gbit to one client on 5Ghz and similar to one on 6Ghz, but that's assuming you have two clients setup like that.  To a single client, 2.5Gbit to the node will never get saturated, and realistically even with one on 5Ghz and one on 6Ghz on the same node, you probably wouldn't either as it has to be perfect conditions to hit those higher speeds.

The benefit for 10Gbit is wired clients and mostly so multiple clients can download at the same time without slowing each other down.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

I assume you mean an ISP's modem/router, not a pure modem. In that case you can connect it to a switch and the Wi-Fi APs to the switch. Otherwise you'd want a single router after the modem.

You want to run the Decos in AP mode, to avoid double-NAT. The ISP's modem/router should act as the single router in the network and provide DHCP and firewall.

While Wi-Fi 6 has a theoretical maximum of 9.6 Gbps, you're unlikely to see that in practice, especially in a mesh.

I assume by "modes" you mean nodes. A Wi-Fi mesh node can either send or receive, so for each hop the signal has to go through before it reaches your computer you lose half of your bandwidth. Ideally you want all of the wired, so they can go directly to the modem/router.

modes i meant directly to modem and 2nd mode all ap modes to switch to modem, i can do like this or get a asus et pro that have 2, 2.5gig ports and do daisy chain also from modem without switch if theres difference between ap and router mode, or get deco xe75 pro cheapest 1port 2.5gig and use with switch, also what do you mean like half the speed bcs i will be running every unit via cat8 ugreen cable from 2.5gig or 10gig port, also devices are 2 iphone 14, 1 iphone 14 pro, 1 iphone pro max and i use the s23 ultra which supports 6e min.2gig download speed, also i want to future proof it also of course, but 2.5gig is best for wifi of course 10gig cabled. for my pc i will be getting the 10gig pcie express card for, i have a free 16x slot free on the motherboard.