Is a 3070 better than a 3060 TI if both are bottlenecking?

tarek420
Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

Bottleneck calculators are absolute trash.

And every PC has bottlenecks, pretending you can build one that doesn't have them is impossible.

Facts of reality:  The 3070 is faster than a 3060 TI.  (Not by a ton, but it is.)
So compare prices, and decide what's worth it to you.  
Not based on some bullshit calculator.

I want to buy a new GPU and i am deciding between the RTX 3070 and the RTX 3060 TI. I currently have an AMD Ryzen 5 5500. I calculated the bottleneck for both GPUs with my CPU on https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/, and the 3070 bottlenecks 14,9% and the 3060 TI 6,1%. Since my CPU bottlenecks both GPUs, I wanted to ask if there even is any difference between these two cards in my build. Thanks 

Bottlenecks entirely depend on workload and depend on case. If you are running a CPU-intensive workload, then the GPU will not matter. If your game is heavily GPU-bound and are not as CPU-intensive, the opposite will be the case. Bottleneck calculators are misleading because they give a concrete number to something that doesn't have a definitive across-the-board answer.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

2 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Bottlenecks entirely depend on workload and depend on case. If you are running a CPU-intensive workload, then the GPU will not matter. If your game is heavily GPU-bound and are not as CPU-intensive, the opposite will be the case. Bottleneck calculators are misleading because they give a concrete number to something that doesn't have a definitive across-the-board answer.

I use my PC mostly for Gaming and just general tasks for school. So a 3070 will achieve better performances in games if I understood correctly right?

Bottleneck calculators are absolute trash.

And every PC has bottlenecks, pretending you can build one that doesn't have them is impossible.

Facts of reality:  The 3070 is faster than a 3060 TI.  (Not by a ton, but it is.)
So compare prices, and decide what's worth it to you.  
Not based on some bullshit calculator.

Bottleneck calculators are useless, the "bottleneck" varies from game to game and even in the same game there may be areas where you may get CPU bound or GPU bound depending on what's going on.

That said, in CPU bound scenarios you will get way more performance out of an equivalent AMD card because of the NVIDIA GPU driver overhead.

26 minutes ago, tarek420 said:

I use my PC mostly for Gaming and just general tasks for school. So a 3070 will achieve better performances in games if I understood correctly right?

Don't trust these calculators, they are not reliable. An R5 5500 is not a bad CPU, so a 3070 should be able to do its job in most graphically demanding games. With that in mind I don't think you can upgrade your GPU any further though without also upgrading the CPU to something like a 5800X3D, to be able to take advantage of a much faster card.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Depends on the games you wanna play. Some games are Nvidia optimized, others are AMD optimized. But if the 3070 is within your budget, i'd simply add another $40 and get the RX 6800 XT and forget about it. Depends on the price of the 3070. If it's on sale for less than $500, it's certainly a deal you don't have to miss, but if it's the usual $600+ price, then just make it $640 and get the 6800XT.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |