Is it possible to use RAM as VRAM?

Kaas0001

Genuinly a stupid question, i know

But I was just wondering IF it could be done. 

I thought of it because I run a GTX 750 with only 1 (yes, ONE) gig of VRAM

When the pandemic started and Warzone came out, I couldnt even run it because I had too little VRAM (2 GB required)

So now that I see Warzone 2, and I recently did a small upgrade from 8 to 16 GB of RAM and just wondered IF it is possible

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

Windows is designed to pull from RAM if it needs to with a hit of 80+ percentage off of your FPS.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Technically yes. Windows will already use RAM as a fallback if you run out of VRAM. But it's similar to using the disk for paging if you run out of RAM. It's much slower for the GPU to work with memory that's external to the GPU, with much higher latency, so it's more about not crashing and less about getting acceptable performance. In other words, it's not something you want to happen.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

its a automatic thing and you can allocate ram to igpus, but the way you want to do it doesn't work for dGPUs there's no (none automatic) option for that in windows (or otherwise) 

so tldr:

17 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

IF it is possible

absolutely,  if you have an iGPU.

15 minutes ago, ewitte said:

with a hit of 80+ percentage off of your FPS.

fantasy number?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

There may be ways to mod the game files into thinking that your GPU has more VRAM, and as mentioned above, Windows will then push game assets into system memory, but the result won't be pretty. "Stutterfest" would be putting it lightly if your card had an equal amount of data in system RAM as in VRAM.

You can occasionally find RX 570/RX 580 cards selling on eBay for under $50. If you're strapped for cash but have patience, that would probably be a solid upgrade for you.

Well that's actually what happens if your GPU doesn't have enough VRAM. When your GPU runs out of VRAM, you end up swapping to system memory and then page file. And then your FPS takes a poop.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I did not know the CPU already did that

SInce I got that message, you know

But thank you all for your insights

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

10 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

You can occasionally find RX 570/RX 580 cards selling on eBay for under $50. If you're strapped for cash but have patience, that would probably be a solid upgrade for you.

Yeah, I' m looking around for a small upgrade, already asked and I believe the GTX 1650 should also be fine

On 2/15/2023 at 1:37 PM, Mark Kaine said:

fantasy number?

Not everything is meant to be literal.  It was to show what to expect.  If you want real numbers.  After I went to 4k I had a hand full of titles that didn't work well with 10GB of VRAM on my 3080.  In those titles I would get 5-10fps, reduce settings that only effected textures brought it over 60fps.  If you actually run over VRAM you will lose a massive amount of performance.  Sometimes it is just listing "allocated" in which case there will possibly be some stuttering/buffering but the hit will not be as dramatic.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator