Upgrade path from Ryzen 7 5800x & 3080

FrostedWaffle

Budget (including currency): None, really, just has to be worth it.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA games (CoD, F1 series, Project Cars 2, Elden Ring, Insurgency Sandstorm, etc), e-sports titles (LoL, Val, R6, etc.), Lightroom, DaVinci Resolve, some (mostly non ML) coding

Other details: current build here, CPU is undervolted for temps

This build has been serving me very well for the past 2ish years. However, there's some annoyances that have plagued me:

• FPS drops when watching youtube
  • Framerate drops in CPU bound games like Insurgency Sandstorm, OW2, etc.
  • Stupid high CPU temps (somewhat under control lately bc of the undervolt)
  • Somewhat loud fans bc of temps
  • Both ethernet ports on the mobo broken, hence the network card

Basically, mostly that the CPU is kinda slow and hot.

Is there any upgrade I can do to remedy this, or just any general upgrade that'll improve performance, short of moving to AM5/Z790? Some potential weak points I see already are the 750W PSU and the 3200MT/s RAM. Will upgrading either of these be worth the money?

You aren't dropping frames on YouTube because a 5800x and a 3080 aren't fast enough.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

money to burn? you have a dammed good system for gaming already. I can only imagine your case is a look cool but bad airflow.

if the CPU has really stupid temps then maybe a clean and repaste is needed. It can happen that when first applied it was just a tiny bit more pressure to one corner ? that would lead to unstable and runaway temps.

53 minutes ago, FrostedWaffle said:

Framerate drops in CPU bound games like Insurgency Sandstorm, OW2,

wait, OW2 isn't CPU bound? its using like... 3% or so? 

At what kind of framerates are you playing? 

53 minutes ago, FrostedWaffle said:

Stupid high CPU temps (somewhat under control lately bc of the undervolt)

ok, but maybe check the pc for dust, reseat the cooler, repaste...

its really odd that you outright for upgrade. 

but in that case, 4090 + 13900k,  new mobo + ram. done.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

51 minutes ago, Middcore said:

You aren't dropping frames on YouTube because a 5800x and a 3080 aren't fast enough.

4k youtube vids drop me from 200+ in league to ~150 sometimes. Not a big deal, I just drop the resolution but it's kinda annoying, especially for this system. Are my expectations just misaligned here?

53 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

money to burn? you have a dammed good system for gaming already. I can only imagine your case is a look cool but bad airflow.

if the CPU has really stupid temps then maybe a clean and repaste is needed. It can happen that when first applied it was just a tiny bit more pressure to one corner ? that would lead to unstable and runaway temps.

Case has a mesh front so it should be okay. Might remove the drive cage and see if that helps. Repasting is what I thought at first too. My first AIO did die I'm pretty sure, so I ended up getting the arctic. That + undervolting + repaste (obv) helped a lot but I'm still hitting 80c under moderate load. I read elsewhere that the 5800x just runs hot so I've kinda settled on that.

15 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

wait, OW2 isn't CPU bound? its using like... 3% or so? 

At what kind of framerates are you playing? 

ok, but maybe check the pc for dust, reseat the cooler, repaste...

its really odd that you outright for upgrade. 

but in that case, 4090 + 13900k,  new mobo + ram. done.  

TBH I'm not 100% sure on OW, might be thinking of a different game. 

I'm not really itching for an upgrade or anything, It's mostly just that the heat/noise can get annoying. I've tried pretty much every troubleshooting step, it seems the 5800x is just hot. My room turns into a sauna quite often. I was just kinda wondering if there was anything I could do to improve performance or reduce temps without doing something completely stupid.

8 minutes ago, FrostedWaffle said:

I'm not really itching for an upgrade or anything, It's mostly just that the heat/noise can get annoying. I've tried pretty much every troubleshooting step, it seems the 5800x is just hot. My room turns into a sauna quite often. I was just kinda wondering if there was anything I could do to improve performance or reduce temps without doing something completely stupid.

maybe its just the AIO, you could try a Nd-h15 , and then you have to also repaste anyways... like there probably isn't anything wrong with the CPU, just the AIO not working properly (happens all the time with AIOs)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity