this is what I called MotherBoard

Hey friends.

Gosh,I had pure only board pictures when I built this PC but lost them somehow ,so for now these are the pics.

Introducing the magnificent Asus Rampage V Extreme.

Compared to like most recent/newest boards,many don't EVEN have built futures that this board have,which seems odd, this board now is probably worth max 100 $, and itt has future that outperform boards in 400-500 $ price range.

Ok lets compare:

1. tons of PCI-E slots, most newer boards only come with 2 max 3.

2.Tons of SATA ports, well as you know in newer boards with AM5 or Z690/Z790 they cut to 4 ports max.

3.Q-Post debug...even boards for 300-400 $ range don't have one.

4. 8 DIMM slots, okay 4 is a standard now,this is X99.

5. START/STOP button, as I can remember Asus implements it only on Formula/Extreme boards.

6. 12 USB ports, most newer motherboards implement 6 (midrange boards), only like high end boards above 1500 $ have like 8-10 ports.

Tte rest of the futures board has,I mean I could write from experience a book, how good this board is.

The downside well just one nvme slot,which I don't even care since I use this PC only for playing older titles,and regular SSD does the job fine.

20230212_081204.jpg

20230212_081146.jpg

20230212_081121.jpg

20230212_081111.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

It was a high end model, expensive... equivalent of $700-1000 boards today.

It may have tons of pci-e slots, but it's still dependent on number of pci-e lanes from cpu - 28 pci-e lanes or 40 pci-e lanes.

It has a lot of sata ports  - 10 from chipset (8 sata and 2 or 1 sata express) then it has extra sata controller for another sata express/2 ports

The current AM4 and AM5 chipsets can do 8 sata ports natively, and there's 2 sata ports from the cpu, but the demand isn't there anymore for sata ports, so most mobo makers disable 4 sata ports to get more pci-e lanes from chipset (for extra m.2 connectors)

There's a lot of fineprint because of the lack of pci-e lanes ... ex pci-e x4 slot if used will cause sata ports and some usb ports to be disabled.

A bunch of those usb ports on the back are made using extra asmedia usb controllers, it's not direct from chipset, so that's more latency and quirks and potential issues with high bandwidth usb devices ...

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

only like high end boards above 1500 $ have like 8-10 ports.

B650 Liver Mixer, it's got 13 Type A and a Type C. It's about 50/50 whether an AM5 board has 11 Type A and a Type C, effectively 12 (after an adapter, but still), the same as the Rampage. 

I will agree X99/X299 was the peak of motherboard expansion design, those boards are amazing in that regard, though I wouldn't necessarily say that board is actually the best. First off, the R5E10 is basically the same board but with a significantly better VRM. Plus you're comparing a top of the line board to the mid range boards of today, if you start comparing the similarly priced boards you'll see that realistically they aren't that different aside from lacking the PCIe slots. 

8 minutes ago, Cramig88 said:

wheres the other ethernet?

Who cares for dual ethernet, board has built in Wi-Fi which back then when the board was released was a gift from God. 😄

It even has Bluetooth build into antenna.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Who cares for dual ethernet, board has built in Wi-Fi which back then when the board was released was a gift from God. 😄

It even has Bluetooth build into antenna.

I've used dual LAN more than I've used WiFi. It's very useful in workstation applications where X99 made sense. 

Almost all of these features are just things that have changed with the times. Also, this board was $499 new, the used price is kind of irrelevant if you want to compare to modern boards.

1. Among consumer boards, most people just have a GPU and nothing else. With how big GPUs are now, there's not much sense in having loads of PCIe slots that are just going to be covered or not used anyway. This is also an X99 system which is a prosumer/workstation platform. The current workstation stuff has even more PCIe than X99.

2. SATA is dying. A lot of systems don't have a single SATA drive in them now days as we've moved to NVMe M.2 drives. Other than mass storage on HDDs, there's no point in having loads of SATA ports when SATA SSDs are the same price or quite often more expensive than their NVMe counterparts.

3. I'll give you this one. More boards need a POST diag display

4. RAM density has increased, no need for more DIMM slots on consumer boards. Again, this is X99, so you'd have to compare it to current workstation platforms, which also have 8 DIMM slots.

5. Kind of a pointless feature other than for overclockers/test benches

6. We've moved to fewer but higher bandwidth ports. You can then split them out into multiple ports or use them for their high bandwidth for high speed external devices.

It's less that features are missing, but that things have been prioritised for what people actually use. Though it can be annoying if your use cases fall outside of that norm. I spent more than I wanted to on a B550 board because hardly any of them (and even less X570 boards) have enough bandwidth on the second PCIe slot to allow for a high bandwidth network card.