Fast Office PC For My Mom

Rocky Balboa

1. Budget & Location

Central Mexico.

Between 9.850 MXN - 11.850 MXN.

2. Aim

Using Microsoft Office, Zoom, video rendering unprofessionally, web browsing and using web apps in Google Chrome. No parts that require drivers that don't exist for Linux, in case I decide to install Linux later. I need a micro-sized case because I don't have much office space. I need at least a terabyte of disk space for photos and videos, but more would be nice. If it's within budget, I would prefer an SSD or M.2 for programs to run quickly. I need a dual-band Wifi card with Bluetooth capability.

3. Monitors

I just need a regular office monitor good enough for playing HD video. I'm not going to add more monitors in the future.

4. Peripherals

I need a decent USB camera+microphone combo for business meetings. I need a wired USB keyboard and mouse. It would be nice if both were ergonomic, but that's not a requirement. I need USB speakers for watching HD movies. I do not need a Windows license. I already have one.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I want to purchase a fast office computer that will last into the future. My mom shares a computer right now and she needs her own for online work and studying. It's been a while since I've built a PC, so please tell me if I forgot anything or you have any advice for me. Thanks!

Is your mother familiar with Linux? Why would you install Linux on it?

You don't need to buy anything super expensive for an office PC for it to last. I built my dad one years ago using old PC parts I had at that time and it's still running. If I remember it's an old pentium chip.

Me personally I'd probably go with an Intel i3 build.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

47 minutes ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Using Microsoft Office, Zoom, video rendering unprofessionally, web browsing and using web apps in Google Chrome.

Yeah in this case id rather go for 1 last gen laptop or computer on clearance, or just a very basic Ryzen 5 5600G system. And yeah, @Psybadek says it best, if your mum doesnt understand linux dont force her to relearn.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 hours ago, Psybadek said:

Is your mother familiar with Linux? Why would you install Linux on it?

You don't need to buy anything super expensive for an office PC for it to last. I built my dad one years ago using old PC parts I had at that time and it's still running. If I remember it's an old pentium chip.

Me personally I'd probably go with an Intel i3 build.

I should have said the office PC needs to run Windows 11 and future Windows versions for her work. I don't want to install her something old and unsupported like Windows 7 or 8. Windows 10 will soon be unsupported. I need something that meets the minimum requirements for the latest Windows.

I don't plan to install Linux on it, but you never know what could happen. It's best to keep the option open at least, for the long term.

4 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Yeah in this case id rather go for 1 last gen laptop or computer on clearance, or just a very basic Ryzen 5 5600G system. And yeah, @Psybadek says it best, if your mum doesnt understand linux dont force her to relearn.

It's more that her work needs her to use Windows than her not knowing Linux. We have several unused Linux computers all in decent shape. They are fast and easy to use. She can't use them because her work demands her to have Microsoft Office. It's a shame.

Her not having her own Windows PC has been an issue for months. Dad bought several cheap computers for her from unreliable people and kept returning them because she complained they were slow. I want something powerful that will put an end to this problem but maybe to build a PC is going overboard.

Like you suggest I think I'll just get her a last-gen laptop with all the peripherals I mentioned before. To help her posture. Thanks!