Netflix does a fully sick 360 on their account sharing policy

CrispyNZ

Summary

An announcement was posted by Netflix today on Facebook and their website stating that the password sharing policy they were testing in Latin America, which they later backtracked on saying it was a mistake, will be rolled out to more countries starting from today - 9th Feb 2023

Quotes

Over the last year, we’ve been exploring different approaches to address this issue in Latin America, and we’re now ready to roll them out more broadly in the coming months, starting today in Canada, New Zealand, Portugal and Spain. Our focus has been on giving members greater control over who can access their account. 

My thoughts

It seems that Netflix was lying when they said that the announcement was a mistake earlier this year. They seem to have gone into hiding to avoid upsetting it's users, only to pull the rug out from under everyone at the last minute.

Sources

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/an-update-on-sharing

https://www.facebook.com/833905236643356/posts/pfbid02wHQTudBHMjdDR5YEvXWxiDYvC2MkDtnbF6QAFDc83yWdbgX9sSHvKMVA46ELHQArl/?sfnsn=mo&mibextid=RUbZ1f

Screenshots added in case they decide to delete this announcement yet again 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230209-124401.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230209-123744.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230209-123751.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230209-123756.png

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a 180, since a 360 would mean they're facing the same direction?

EDIT: I realise what is meant, ty to those who replied

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Well they already did a 180 when they backtracked on their original announcement, and now they've re-announced it, making it 2x 180s, so to me a 360 makes sense

1 minute ago, sof006 said:

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a 180, since a 360 would mean they're facing the same direction?

No, OPs point is that they posted these unpopular guidelines, did a 180 and claimed it was a mistake, then they've now done another 180, back to "Yes we're doing it", so 360.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

Just now, sof006 said:

They pulled a 180, then pulled another 180 = 360. 

OP, please put those images in a spoiler tag, that is a looooot of scrolling even on my iMac. 

As for the topic, yeeeeep. Lots of people predicted this, they simply said it was a mistake to let uproar die down then sneak it back in. I hope for, and look forward to, a slow slide to bankruptcy for Netflix if they continue to be completely oblivious to how and why folks use their service. People sharing accounts weren't potential customers to begin with, when I have a netflix sub active I share it with my friends who literally cannot afford one on their own, they were never potential customers of Netflix in the first place, so trying to restrict account sharing makes me (the actual potential customer) faaar less likely to renew the sub. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Athan Immortal said:

No, OPs point is that they posted these unpopular guidelines, did a 180 and claimed it was a mistake, then they've now done another 180, back to "Yes we're doing it", so 360.

I see, makes sense

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

They pulled a 180, then pulled another 180 = 360. 

OP, please put those images in a spoiler tag, that is a looooot of scrolling even on my iMac. 

As for the topic, yeeeeep. Lots of people predicted this, they simply said it was a mistake to let uproar die down then sneak it back in. I hope for, and look forward to, a slow slide to bankruptcy for Netflix if they continue to be completely oblivious to how and why folks use their service. People sharing accounts weren't potential customers to begin with, when I have a netflix sub active I share it with my friends who literally cannot afford one on their own, they were never potential customers of Netflix in the first place, so trying to restrict account sharing makes me (the actual potential customer) faaar less likely to renew the sub. 

Sorry I didn't realize they appeared in the body of the post when I posted it. Have fixed.

I love having netflix regressed to pre-global spotify. Slayyyyyyyy Netflix, get that money for Season 4 Witcher, or something.

Seriously, why?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

18 minutes ago, CrispyNZ said:

It seems that Netflix was lying when they said that the announcement was a mistake earlier this year.

I think they might have backtracked on it in the US. Also keep in mind that POTUS just stated on his state of the union that he's want to regulate big tech. Netflix falls in to that category, I mean they are part of FANG. 

My guess is they will implement these changes in some countries and see what the numbers do. If they dont get too many losses they likely will expand it. Its kinda how Comcast suspended the 300 Gigs cap back in the day and started testing caps and overages in select markets. They expanded these tests in more and more then most of the country was covered with caps and overages. They will feel out what the market may do and make a decision then. 

The fact is out side of currently two show Im interested on Netflix, they have like no content. And when I do find something I like, they cancel it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Season 4 Witcher, or something.

Considering season 3 is the Cavill's last time playing the Witcher, I suspect season 4 wont go over well. Im going to watch season 3 and that will likely be the last of the Witcher I watch. Because it sounds like the writers hated the source material and considering that The Witcher Blood Origin, was maybe a B or C class fantasy series, I dont have high hopes for season 4. Same thing goes for any Superman movies. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

<-- Thread Locked -->

Please continue in the existing thread

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card