Help with CPU high temps: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

wsalomon75

Hello all,

I was doing a budget gaming build for my son, and I pieced together some decent parts for it. I bought a cheap case (https://www.newegg.com/black-rosewill-prism-s500-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811147283?Item=N82E16811147283) a CPU cooler, etc. The CPU is running at idle 80c, but doesn't go over 92c when running games. This is WAY too high for me. So, I thought it was improper thermal paste application, so I reapplied, and checked again. Same thing. Ok, has to be the small form factor cooler (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081W9NRLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), so I went ahead and bought an AIO cooler (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086BYYFG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and installed it. It went from 80c to 90c idle. Makes ZERO sense. So back on goes the small form factor so he has least something he can use until I figure this out. I'm using Artic MX-4 thermal paste for all of this btw.

Do I just have a bad CPU? I purchased it from Best Buy, and it's just passed the return date. (It's only a 15 day return policy?) Is it a bad case? What the hell is going on?

From the looks of it, the front of the PC case is solid, so airflow is restricted, so the CPU can't get fresh cool air.

Pull the front off (if possible) and re-test

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Also, how you mount the AIO (physical position) makes a big difference

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

20 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

From the looks of it, the front of the PC case is solid, so airflow is restricted, so the CPU can't get fresh cool air.

From the looks of it its a bottom/side intake style case so there it no real point to opening the front if it can be opened at all. That's fine though, all O11's are like that (though O11's have much more exhaust...)

This is assuming there are enough fans in the system that is....

I don't think its a bad CPU, I think its a combination of poor expectations / unfamiliarity with how Zen3 operates thermally, bad (in the case of that air cooler, woefully inadequate) coolers potentially installed incorrectly and basic 5800x's 8 cores on a single CCD being a bit of a bear if left stock. Do you have enough fans setup with bottom intake, rear exhaust? 

The case sucks but its what you have so we'll deal with it. Where is the radiator for the AIO installed? 

I use also a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X in my daily PC. First I used a 120mm AIO from my old build but that could not keep up with the new CPU.
So I use a ARTIC Freezer 240 AIO which I think is equal to the AIO you use. At 900 RPM pump speed I get 54C.

The case looks not ideal for mounting the coolers.
It is important that the highest point of the AIO is higher then the highest point of your CPU cooler/pump part. And when checking the case I could not find a good spot for the AIO.

Can you send pics of your current installation of the fans and maybe a picture where we can see how you have mounted the AIO? Can air flow freely to the AIO from the front and backsite of the radiator unit?

I have found the manual how a liquid cooler is installed in your case. This looks OK. You should check in which directions the fans push/pull the air. I would configure it that fresh air is pulled from the side panel thru the radiator into the case. 

And the fan on the backside is pushing are out of the case.

Do you use fans on the bottom of the case?

Have you checked the fan curves in the BIOS? What MOBO do you use?

image.thumb.png.5bcf74ed1663b4cac3eed5cc28ee95fa.png

1 hour ago, wsalomon75 said:

Hello all,

I was doing a budget gaming build for my son, and I pieced together some decent parts for it. I bought a cheap case (https://www.newegg.com/black-rosewill-prism-s500-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811147283?Item=N82E16811147283) a CPU cooler, etc. The CPU is running at idle 80c, but doesn't go over 92c when running games. This is WAY too high for me. So, I thought it was improper thermal paste application, so I reapplied, and checked again. Same thing. Ok, has to be the small form factor cooler (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081W9NRLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), so I went ahead and bought an AIO cooler (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086BYYFG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and installed it. It went from 80c to 90c idle. Makes ZERO sense. So back on goes the small form factor so he has least something he can use until I figure this out. I'm using Artic MX-4 thermal paste for all of this btw.

Do I just have a bad CPU? I purchased it from Best Buy, and it's just passed the return date. (It's only a 15 day return policy?) Is it a bad case? What the hell is going on?

Im gonna say its the case. There is basically no airflow. I say buy another case and test the temps in there. Matrexx 50 isnt bad or matrexx 30. Just get something with decent airflow.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

1 minute ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Im gonna say its the case. There is basically no airflow. I say buy another case and test the temps in there. Matrexx 50 isnt bad or matrexx 30. Just get something with decent airflow.

It's a bottom & side intake case.
Like Lian-Li 011 or Hyte Y60.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

10 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

It's a bottom & side intake case.
Like Lian-Li 011 or Hyte Y60.

yea but the airflow still looks really bad.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

1 hour ago, wsalomon75 said:

Hello all,

Like peoples above me have asked.

Give us more details about the fans placement in your case.
(ie : How much fans for intake, where are they placed.  How much fans for exhaust, where are they placed)

Also, did you peel off the protective sticker on the AIO's cold plate

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

For short term, bootup and test which is all this guy seems to be doing, not running extended benchmarking sessions, worrying so much about the fans is a bit of a red herring IMO.

Booting into windows and opening HWiNFO to check CPU temps shouldn't need much more than an idle from the fans to give an accurate idle temp, nothing is heatsoaked long enough to matter. Case could be filled with T30's at their 3000RPM setting and if the mount or thermal past application sucks, it won't matter and you'll know it instantly. If he's seeing these temps immediately, something else is at play. 

That air cooler he bought was amazingly inadequate, we know that, and the 240 AIO is pretty generic. And if he installed it with the rad in the floor of the case.. well yeah. We don't know where it was. Was the pump even plugged in? 

Thanks for the responses all, here's a bit more info:

• AIO was installed correctly from what I could tell. I installed two AIOs on mine and my wife's machines with zero issues. I installed it exactly where it says to install it on the case manual, which RifftheRaff showed in the above post. Also yes, the sticker was removed from the bottom.
  • There are 3 bottom fans for intake, one external fan out the back. 
  • Somebody asked what Mobo it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089CT5GDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • I think I'm going to purchase a new case, and go from there. I need some recommendations from you all on both a new case, and a new CPU cooler. Keep the cooler around $50 (In the event the AIO doesn't work again and I return it) and the case to around the $100 mark.

18 hours ago, wsalomon75 said:

It went from 80c to 90c idle. Makes ZERO sense

Sometimes its difficult to mount a cooler properly,  also you kinda went from not ideal to worse in your cooler choice imo.

I would recommend a Noctua nh-d15, those are also extremely easy to mount, very well made and should be more than enough cooling for your cpu. i have Noctua U12S, the "little brother" and my 5800x3D, which is a hotter chip, is ~35C idle, 79C max under full load (cb23 all cores @ 100%)

18 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Same but i don't really have issues,  the cooling is adequate with the right setup/ amount of fans, which will obviously vary on a case by case basis (no pun intended) 

Spoiler

tbe back panel has honeycomb perforation though tbf, which surely does something (sucking in a lot of dust so probably some fresh air as well - yes definitely a downside of having a beautiful and silent case, i have to clean the pc like once a month minimum 

20230208_150759.thumb.jpg.7fc27bd5ba115d7d4392abcba4d77bca.jpg

20230208_150733.thumb.jpg.6b1643add93252fddc6afa9541ce41d6.jpg

18 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

or the sidepanel(s), should also help if its really bad case cooling. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So, I looked at a video on installation of the AIO cooler, and I *think* that I plugged in the pump on the wrong pins on the mobo. Will try again tonight and report back to see the difference! 

Update: I installed the AIO wrong. I looked up a video on how to install this particular AIO, and I correctly installed it, and everything is running around 55c idle now, and peaks at 70c when running a game. I believe the lack of a good CPU fan in the beginning, and improper installation of the AIO the first time was the cause of my issues. Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it!