unsure of upgrading and parts ? please help lol

baal_15

hi you good looking ltt members im new to the forum so please be gentle lol ,i am unsure as what to do and need some advice on upgrading parts my system currently consist's of :

msi tomahawk max 

ryzen 5 3600 cpu

gtx 1660 oc 6gb gpu

g.skill 3466mhz ram

nzxt z63 i/o 

nztx h510i case 

corsair rm650x psu

i have already purchased a corsair rm850x psu and a xfx merc 319 rx6800 i am wondering if i should buy a 5800x to help power the new card and possibly a new mobo aswell ???

any thoughts and suggestions are most welcome and thank you for reading my post 🙂

so you recon i just fit the rx6800 and the 850 psu and my ram and mobo will be fine ?

Your current platform will hold back the gpu a bit... double check my info, but you are going to be running your new GPU at PCI-3.0 speeds.  Going CPU only, i think the B450 motherboard will still limit you to PCI 3.0.  If you do buy a new platofrm, i would try to get something that would allow the gpu to run at PCI 4.0.

I googled the prices quickly, and you might want to consider the 5800X3d instead of the 5800X as the prices i saw were similar (although i didn't shop around)

So with that said, your GPU will run better on new CPU/mobo.  However, i don't see an urgent need to upgrade either. If you are happy with the performance you are currently getting, just rock the 3600 and wait for prices to come down (perhaps wait until ddr5 platforms are more cost effective) or a really good to come up.

5 minutes ago, baal_15 said:

so you recon i just fit the rx6800 and the 850 psu and my ram and mobo will be fine ?

Course its a pcie slot and ram that works in your pc

Personally I don't think your CPU will hold that 6800 back all that much, especially at higher-than-1080p resolutions or at higher settings. If you're dead set on a CPU upgrade, this is hat I'd personally do here as far as CPU goes:

• If mobo is 5th-gen compatible with a BIOS update, get a 5600X. They're cheap and the performance advantage of something like a 5800X is minimal. A 5800X3D is more substantial though.
  • If mobo isn't 5-th gen compatible, I would personally just save for a platform upgrade, be that ryzen 7000, Intel 13th gen or even future stuff. No point in buying new AM4 stuff at this point, especially for the gains you'd be looking at.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

yes i am unsure of buying the new ddr5 ,mobo,and cpu at the moment as it's still all new and costly , so i was thinking a bigger cpu and mobo may last longer than what i have got already but from what little i have learnt so far from looking around some say the 5800x or 5600x or wait for the new ddr5 to mature more ? so im alittle confused as what to do but i really appreciate you help and advice, the 5800x3d is a beast of a cpu and will probably last alot longer than my 3600 so thank you for your reply 🙂

i forgot to say i have not long bought a new 34" wide screen 1440p monitor 144 as one my cats destroyed my 1080p monitor 

8 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Personally I don't think your CPU will hold that 6800 back all that much, especially at higher-than-1080p resolutions or at higher settings. What I'd personally do here as far as CPU goes is as follows:

• If mobo is 5th-gen compatible with a BIOS update, get a 5600X. They're cheap and the performance advantage of something like a 5800X is minimal. A 5800X3D is more substantial though.
  • If mobo isn't 5-th gen compatible, I would personally just save for a platform upgrade, be that ryzen 7000, Intel 13th gen or even future stuff. No point in buying new AM4 stuff at this point, especially for the gains you'd be looking at.

yes i think it can be bios flashed for the 5600x or the 5800x/5800x3d according to other intel my mobo is the msi b450 tomahawk max ?

2 hours ago, baal_15 said:

yes i think it can be bios flashed for the 5600x or the 5800x/5800x3d according to other intel my mobo is the msi b450 tomahawk max ?

MSI added support for 5000-series AMD Ryzen CPUs in their latest BIOS updates. Flashing that board with the latest bios should make it compatible with virtually any ryzen CPU ever made, with the possible exception of the older 1000 series processors and even older Excavator-derived parts (such as the Athlon X4 900 series and A-series APUs). From there the 5600x or 5800X should be a drop-in replacement.

Ultimately the choice is yours but given the minimal cost of such an upgrade (I spent 100 EUR going from my 1700 to a 5600x after selling off my old chip) it's probably the best value when it comes to upgrading your CPU on a budget. As mentionned the 5800X3D is a significantly faster gamer but it's also more expensive (your call). The 5800x probably isn't worth the premium for gaming, imo.

A mobo upgrade would not get you anything performance wise given the aforementioned compatibility with the 5000 series, and I could never recommend spending that much money into what is effectively already a dead-end platform. Otherwise a platform upgrade to 13th gen Intel or AMD 7000 series (if you don't wait for newer stuff) is the only way I'd actually see a complete mobo/CPU upgrade as something viable.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 1/31/2023 at 10:28 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

MSI added support for 5000-series AMD Ryzen CPUs in their latest BIOS updates. Flashing that board with the latest bios should make it compatible with virtually any ryzen CPU ever made, with the possible exception of the older 1000 series processors and even older Excavator-derived parts (such as the Athlon X4 900 series and A-series APUs). From there the 5600x or 5800X should be a drop-in replacement.

Ultimately the choice is yours but given the minimal cost of such an upgrade (I spent 100 EUR going from my 1700 to a 5600x after selling off my old chip) it's probably the best value when it comes to upgrading your CPU on a budget. As mentionned the 5800X3D is a significantly faster gamer but it's also more expensive (your call). The 5800x probably isn't worth the premium for gaming, imo.

A mobo upgrade would not get you anything performance wise given the aforementioned compatibility with the 5000 series, and I could never recommend spending that much money into what is effectively already a dead-end platform. Otherwise a platform upgrade to 13th gen Intel or AMD 7000 series (if you don't wait for newer stuff) is the only way I'd actually see a complete mobo/CPU upgrade as something viable.

yes i have decided to wait as my pc still operates fine and will wait until prices come down for the new ddr5 mobo's and 7 series so thank you for your help it's most appreciated 🙂