Upgrading from 1650 to 3070. Is it enough?

I am planning to cop a used 3070 as an upgrade to my old 1650.

I have a 240hz 1080p monitor I have never been able to utilize

Is a 3070 enough to get 240fps at 1080p, I will be playing all games at minimum settings as I play competitive AAA fps games and I don't care much for good graphics. I am looking to get maximum framerates.

This will also depend heavily on what CPU you have.

But assuming you can maximize the potential of the 3070, then in most (if not, all) competitive titles, it should be able to reach 240fps+ as an average with low settings.

If you have a lower end CPU, you may want to consider an AMD Radeon card like a 6700XT or 6800, as the Radeon driver has lower CPU overhead than the Nvidia driver, so can give you more FPS in most CPU limited scenarios.

if you're playing all minimum settings, i'd be surprised if a 3070 couldnt reach those framerates.

having that said, 240FPS is well into the region where CPU bottlenecks are not unlikely, especially if (part of) the render process relies on a single thread.

38 minutes ago, manikyath said:

having that said, 240FPS is well into the region where CPU bottlenecks are not unlikely, especially if (part of) the render process relies on a single thread.

Or the game engine flat out doesnt do it plenty older games abd current ones that have engine limits why they cant push that high regardless of available resources

I guess you have a 13th gen cpu (from an old thread of yours)

The difference will be very noticeable

So yeah, its worth it

As long as your psu wasn't built in some old dude's basement in china, you'll be fine

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee