Apple allegedly cancelled iPhone SE 4

AlTech

Fact is that Apple has some catching up to do this year. The Pixel 7, 7 Pro and 6a are the phones of the year. On top of that there is a rumored Pixel mini coming and to discontinue the SE entirely will only improve Google's market position.

Edited by Spotty

16 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Not surprised and the SE is possibly becoming more of a burden because they are now actively supporting 3 different screen... shapes? at the same time.

Five.

1. Touch ID, in 4.7" and 5.5" sizes. Dropping the SE 1 and iPod touch 7 removed the 4.0" screen size which is far too small now.

2. Face ID w/ Notch, in 5.42", 5.85", 6.06", 6.46", and 6.68"

3. Face ID w/ Dynamic Island, in 6.12" and 6.69"

4. iPad with Touch ID, in 7.9", 9.7", 10.2", 12.9"

5. iPad with Face ID, in 8.3", 11.0", and 12.9"

I suppose you could argue that the iPad sizes are separate as iPadOS is separate but that's still five total. The SE 4 was rumored to use the XR screen, which is 6.06".

elephants

24 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But you hold your phone closer to you than your distance from your laptop when you use it. This is also why PPI in and of itself is a flawed metric in isolation.

No. And as I said before, you can go as close as you want to any of these screens, 4K laptop of iphone SE. You won't be able to see any pixels.

24 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you can see pixels easily on a phone then PPI despite theoretically being high, is obviously not high enough.

You cannot. I just tried again on my SE 2020 with 5cm viewing distance.

And PPI is literally what indicates whether you can see pixels or not. Below 300 or so, the viewing distance also becomes important, above that, not.

16 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The Pixel 7, 7 Pro and 6a are the phones of the year.

Says exactly who? Do they have better cameras (also for video), faster SoCs, longer battery lifetime than a 14 Pro? 14 non-Pro?

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

Yes, you do. You sit right in front of the laptop to reach the keyboard comfortably and you hold a smartphone at arms length distance. In both cases the viewing distance is approx 30cm/1ft. And a 4K panel on a 13" laptop is insanely sharp no matter how close to it you get. It however does not matter as the vast majority of human eyes simply cannot resolve more than 300ppi. That resolution is not only for photo prints but print in general which includes text, technical documentation with fine lines and so on.

I'll yet have to see a blind test where people can actually reliably tell the difference between a 300 and 400ppi screen.

Most people I sew hold their phones, sit with their arms bent up quite a lot so phone is maybe 30cm, but on laptops, people have their laptop places in front of them at a desk with arms bent less, tho still probably around 90°, but distance to screen enda up being closer to 50cm. Just take a tape measure and measure yourself.

If you lived close to me, I would have asked you to come over and compare my and my mother's phone side by side, and prove to you that I can see the difference. Not on photos but in other use cases.

And again, it's not about seeing the pixels, I can't, but you can see one is sharper than the other.

6 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

No. And as I said before, you can go as close as you want to any of these screens, 4K laptop of iphone SE. You won't be able to see any pixels.

And PPI is literally what indicates whether you can see pixels or not. Below 300 or so, the viewing distance also becomes important, above that, not.

It's not about seeing pixels, it's about that you can see sharpness differences. It's a difference.

Btw, I am not arguing that it's very easily to tell the difference if you do not hold them side by side, but you can, well at least I can.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

19 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Btw, I am not arguing that it's very easily to tell the difference if you do not hold them side by side, but you can, well at least I can.

So how relevant is all this then if you can only see the difference when having them side by side?

6 hours ago, Dracarris said:

And PPI is literally what indicates whether you can see pixels or not.

It's not though.

Below 300 or so, the viewing distance also becomes important, above that, not.

PPI is always tied to viewing distance though.

Says exactly who? Do they have better cameras (also for video), faster SoCs, longer battery lifetime than a 14 Pro? 14 non-Pro?

6 hours ago, Mihle said:

Most people I sew hold their phones, sit with their arms bent up quite a lot so phone is maybe 30cm, but on laptops, people have their laptop places in front of them at a desk with arms bent less, tho still probably around 90°, but distance to screen enda up being closer to 50cm. Just take a tape measure and measure yourself.

If you lived close to me, I would have asked you to come over and compare my and my mother's phone side by side, and prove to you that I can see the difference. Not on photos but in other use cases.

And again, it's not about seeing the pixels, I can't, but you can see one is sharper than the other.

It's not about seeing pixels, it's about that you can see sharpness differences. It's a difference.

Though I'd argue it's easy to tell the difference even without them side by side.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Just measured it for my 14" laptop - literally exactly 1ft eyes-to-screen.

uh... what? hwo do yo u sit?
like sitting up straight at a comfortable distance from my laptop my face is definitly about 2ft away

remember, chest to bottom of display isnt how you measure that. Eye to center of display is.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Okay but what are you getting in exchange for having an objectively inferior screen to other Android phones? If the SE cost less than competing Androids to make up for the wirse screeb then that would be fine but it doesn't.

did i say anoy of that? or did i just give a reason why youd be ok with that low res a screen?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's not though.

PPI indicates the freakin number of pixels per physical distance, it's literally the resolution in the actual, physical sense, and not the absolute pixel count that for some strange reason we now refer to as resolution. PPI in combination with viewing distance is the only thing that matters as to how sharp an image is perceived and/or if one can see individual pixels. And as I said, above a certain PPI threshold you may come as close as you want but won't be able to see any individual pixels.

If you still don't agree, there is some fundamental misconception about the concept of PPI or pixel count on your side. You still could not come up with any factual argument as to what I just described would be wrong.

9 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

uh... what? hwo do yo u sit?
like sitting up straight at a comfortable distance from my laptop my face is definitly about 2ft away

remember, chest to bottom of display isnt how you measure that. Eye to center of display is.

I slightly lean forward but also don't work all day on my laptop. If I sit up straight it's also more like 2ft.