I'm trying to get a part list together for my first PC build

Budget (including currency): $1600 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Red Dead Redemption 2, Witcher 3, Blender, Unity, ARK, Beat saber, Half Life Alyx, VR Chat.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):  ideally i want it to run games at 1440p, 144hz

Pc list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g4J778

You might need a 3070 for a consistent unquestioning 144 hz at 1440p.

If I'm not mistaken.

I would be confident in this pc doing 144hz in 1080p.

that's if you're aiming for high settings.

You can't overclock your 12700K on that board. There are several retailers offering the 12700KF for less money. Maybe go that route (unless you're really paranoid about having onboard graphics for troubleshooting) and put the savings into a Z690 board for overclocking? We're in a dumb situation right now where the non-overclockable 12700 is more expensive than the overclockable K and KF versions, so even if you don't want to OC it's still not necessarily a bad choice, but just be aware of the intricacies here.

A 650W PSU will be enough for these parts but doesn't leave you much headroom if you upgrade to a thirstier GPU down the line.

At the price you're paying for that 3060 ti, an RX 6700 XT is faster in most games. I don't necessarily trust either to get a consistent 144fps at 1440p. 

If I were you I'd make my peace with having less RGB and use the money saved by buying less-blinged out cooling hardware plus the rest of the room you have in the budget now to upgrade the PSU and graphics card.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

12 minutes ago, T1m3Stamp said:

Budget (including currency): $1600 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Red Dead Redemption 2, Witcher 3, Blender, Unity, ARK.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):  ideally i want it to run games at 1440p, 144hz

Pc list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g4J778

3060 isnt going to be enough for 1440P high refresh rate gaming. you need atleast a 3070 to do that. is blender your main objective if it is not get a 6800 (it will fit your budget but if its not 6700Xt for the same prize as 3060ti no reason to go nvidia for gaming) it will be perfect for 1440P gaming. but if blender is your main goal 3070 will be the best that fit in your budget and can play games at 1440P 

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

You can't overclock your 12700K on that board. There are several retailers offering the 12700KF for less money. Maybe go that route (unless you're really paranoid about having onboard graphics for troubleshooting) and put the savings into a Z690 board for overclocking? We're in a dumb situation right now where the non-overclockable 12700 is more expensive than the overclockable K and KF versions, so even if you don't want to OC it's still not necessarily a bad choice, but just be aware of the intricacies here.

A 650W PSU will be enough for these parts but doesn't leave you much headroom if you upgrade to a thirstier GPU down the line.

At the price you're paying for that 3060 ti, an RX 6700 XT is faster in most games. I don't necessarily trust either to get a consistent 144fps at 1440p. 

If I were you I'd make my peace with having less RGB and use the money saved and the rest of the room you have in the budget now to upgrade the PSU and graphics card.

Does the rx6700xt still do well in unity and blender? 

11 minutes ago, Middcore said:

If I were you I'd make my peace with having less RGB and use the money saved by buying less-blinged out cooling hardware plus the rest of the room you have in the budget now to upgrade the PSU and graphics card.

Will any Z690 board do overclocking?

21 minutes ago, fpo said:

You might need a 3070 for a consistent unquestioning 144 hz at 1440p.

If I'm not mistaken.

I would be confident in this pc doing 144hz in 1080p.

that's if you're aiming for high settings.

Is the 650w psu good enough for the 3070? Or do I need to upgrade that.

2 minutes ago, T1m3Stamp said:

Is the 650w psu good enough for the 3070? Or do I need to upgrade that.

I'm not super knowledgeable about power supplies. 

I've been informed that the PC part picker is often pretty accurate in watt usage. 

Additionally you can add up the watt rating of your CPU, GPU, & other power hungry parts then find a top tier PSU with sufficient wattage greater than what is necessary. 

You can get like a 750 watt top tier PSU for like 100 bucks and it would be modular from I think Corsair. 

I don't know if that is enough wattage though. 

3 minutes ago, T1m3Stamp said:

Is that air cooler good enough for overclocking?

You'll not be overclocking the CPU unless you spend more money on a Z690 motherboard, Overclocking the Graphics card can be done on any system.

Performance comparison for the AK620, it will be fine for mild overclocking, which I assume will be your intent.

ak620.thumb.png.b360d8f1a1e94c482db7fb6cd7e1e273.png

1 minute ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Performance comparison for the AK620, it will be fine for mild overclocking, which I assume will be your intent.

ak620.thumb.png.b360d8f1a1e94c482db7fb6cd7e1e273.png

Oh, that's good. Will any Z690 board do overclocking?

5 minutes ago, T1m3Stamp said:

Oh, that's good. Will any Z690 board do overclocking?

Yes, Any Z690 will do overclocking.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bgcCW4

Just a bunch of cost optimizations and upgraded gpu to rtx 3080

13600k demolishes the 12700k, also has more oc headroom

Now are you a sensible ocer just trying to get more out of your hardware or are you an oc nut just ocing the absolute balls off your hardware for every last drop of performance?

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Now are you a sensible ocer just trying to get more out of your hardware or are you an oc nut just ocing the absolute balls off your hardware for every last drop of performance?

Like most of the build.

BUT, i don't think you're going to find ANY new RTX3080  for $600.

If you do find one, please, show me the link.

Just now, Maxxtraxx said:

Like most of the build.

BUT, i don't think you're going to find ANY new RTX3080  for $600.

If you do find one, please, show me the link.

Oh somehow forgot to say yes buy a used rtx 3080 theyre like 600$ on ebay, same price for a used 6900xt

And whats up with new 3080 prices? 7900xt crushes 3080

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Oh somehow forgot to say yes buy a used rtx 3080 theyre like 600$ on ebay, same price for a used 6900xt

And whats up with new 3080 prices? 7900xt crushes 3080

I thought you didn't want to buy gpus from ebay? Since they could've been used for mining

1 minute ago, T1m3Stamp said:

I thought you didn't want to buy gpus from ebay? Since they could've been used for mining

Miners who knew what they were doing generally took good care of their cards. There is a difference between a "professional" miner who had a rig with a dozen cards and little Timmy trying to mine on his single card in his spare time.

Regardless, eBay sides with buyers almost to a fault. Thoroughly test any card you buy from eBay as soon as you get it and you'll be fine. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

15 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

This is a killer PC. 

As for processor going from i7 to i5...

Modern cpu are so good, and workloads like the unity game engine will be plenty handled.

As for online gaming and streaming I don't know

27 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Miners who knew what they were doing generally took good care of their cards. There is a difference between a "professional" miner who had a rig with a dozen cards and little Timmy trying to mine on his single card in his spare time.

Regardless, eBay sides with buyers almost to a fault. Thoroughly test any card you buy from eBay as soon as you get it and you'll be fine. 

So would this one be a good one to buy? Sorry, I don't know much about pcs and parts https://www.ebay.com/itm/325482785823?hash=item4bc8492c1f:g:IAQAAOSwtERjsFBM&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoH5e1T%2F9biGOqFLEvjYeAgj1Ou9DlJc4E%2BcT3VEGgVI%2FSDAClU%2Ba%2BzT5i10aqQJ3ev0trSbsPKOvIzcQh2i8GGzdI52NWeQxkIJNmSFIJ2ETGJgManrTonjgw22gV%2BbD8QatCetIT50718occ6iF8IBVsgQnMgo8q7MbKu9CYQq1ZuRZ98TF9HPpF0IdyPh%2FLqyCNpfWX1VQGXZJR%2F9%2BYMU%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9T6tZWtYQ

-= Cleaned =-

Keep comments civil.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, T1m3Stamp said:

Price is solid, seller has is a 15 year old account with tons of positive feedback. I would have no misgivings about that card. The only caveat I'd make is that despite what he says, I don't know if Asus will honor the warranty once the card is resold.