What is the proper way to install thermal paste on a Ryzen 7950X ?

g335

Pea size blob in the center. IHS is not that big to warrant exotic methods.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I just use the pea method, if you really want to get fancy the X method, really any of the ones from the article listed will work. You just don't want to use too little and if you're really worried about it you could use an old credit card or something and manually spread it out yourself. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I just use the pea method, if you really want to get fancy the X method, really any of the ones from the article listed will work. You just don't want to use too little and if you're really worried about it you could use an old credit card or something and manually spread it out yourself. 

ok cool

So put a pea size and spread it out?

4 minutes ago, CaptainKieseI said:

you can spread it out to be safe its covering everything 

put some on but not enough, wipe if off with a microfiber cloth, safe to reapply?

Just now, g335 said:

put some on but not enough, wipe if off with a microfiber cloth, safe to reapply?

would be better to clean it properly with cleaning alcohol, but wiping it will be fine.

I draw a line down the side and pull it over with a spatula. Then I pull across in the opposite direction, and then I go again in the first direction that I started. Excess stays on the spatula, and my temps are excellent. So good in fact that people either don’t believe me, or disregard what I have just said 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

X 4 dots 4 lyfe!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

57 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I draw a line down the side and pull it over with a spatula. Then I pull across in the opposite direction, and then I go again in the first direction that I started. Excess stays on the spatula, and my temps are excellent. So good in fact that people either don’t believe me, or disregard what I have just said 😄

this is my main problem with that method, half the paste is on the spatula and no idea how to get it back into the tube...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

this is my main problem with that method, half the paste is on the spatula and no idea how to get it back into the tube...

I write it off.. over time and repetition you get to know how much you need to use to keep waste down.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

I did a peasize and mounted the cooler,Wait 5 mins and unmount the cooler to check the coverage,If im happy with it i remount.If it needs more i add it and recheck it later.