Motherboard USB Header Adapters?

Hi there!

I recently purchased a new case for my computer, and noticed when checking compatibility that my USB headers on my Motherboard are not supported by default.
N4W2kJvjo6.png.825ec002a7b0e8834496d5be99047385.png
This isn't really a huge issue for me, I only use my front IO for my Yubikey sometimes a USB flash drive, so it's not worth it to buy a new motherboard.

If I choose to get adapters like PC Part Picker suggest, is there anything I should look out for (other than slower speeds), or any recommended well tested products? Also if I get an adapter for a USB 3 3.2 Gen 1 to a USB 3.2 Gen 2, would the USB C port still work?

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need any clarification.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB 

Samsung 980 EVO Plus 2TB | SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 7200RPM HDD | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 3x Phanteks T30-120

Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Modular PSU | Corsair 5000D Airflow Windows 11 Home

9 minutes ago, DriedSponge said:

Hi there!

I recently purchased a new case for my computer, and noticed when checking compatibility that my USB headers on my Motherboard are not supported by default.
N4W2kJvjo6.png.825ec002a7b0e8834496d5be99047385.png
This isn't really a huge issue for me, I only use my front IO for my Yubikey sometimes a USB flash drive, so it's not worth it to buy a new motherboard.

If I choose to get adapters like PC Part Picker suggest, is there anything I should look out for (other than slower speeds), or any recommended well tested products? Also if I get an adapter for a USB 3 3.2 Gen 1 to a USB 3.2 Gen 2, would the USB C port still work?

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need any clarification.

What is the motherboard?

USB-C uses Type-E connector.
Unless you use a Type-E to 19pin USB3 adapter, but yeah it probably will work, albeit with USB3 protocol.
Though it will use up your Internal USB3 header.

What adapter did PCPartPicker suggested?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

What is the motherboard?

USB-C uses Type-E connector.
Unless you use a Type-E to 19pin USB3 adapter, but yeah it probably will work, albeit with USB3 protocol.
Though it will use up your Internal USB3 header.

What adapter did PCPartPicker suggested?

I have a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX. Sorry my phrasing was a bit off. They didn't suggest a specific one, they just suggested the use of one.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB 

Samsung 980 EVO Plus 2TB | SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 7200RPM HDD | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 3x Phanteks T30-120

Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Modular PSU | Corsair 5000D Airflow Windows 11 Home

7 minutes ago, DriedSponge said:

I have a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX. Sorry my phrasing was a bit off. They didn't suggest a specific one, they just suggested the use of one.

Well...
Either you :
Use Type-E to 9pin USB2 adapter for the Type-C & then use the TypeA USB3 front I/O as USB3.
or
Use Type-E to 19/20pins USB3 adapter for the Type-C & then use USB3 to USB2 adapter for the front I/O Type A.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well...
Either you :
Use Type-E to 9pin USB2 adapter & then use the TypeA USB3 front panel as USB3.
or
Use Type-E to 19/20pins USB3 adapter & then use USB3 to USB2 adapter.

I'll look into those. Thanks!

The case has two USB 3  5gbps ports  and a usb type-c port.

The two USB 3 5 gbps connect to the motherboard using that standard 20 pin connector.

The usb type-c connects to the motherboard using that new fancy usb connector.

The motherboard has a single USB 3 header (20 pin) and multiple USB 2 headers.

So you have several options ...

you can connect the 2 usb 3 ports directly to the usb 3.0 header and leave the usb 3 type c not connected.

you can buy an adapter that converts the usb 3.0 header on motherboard to the new connector, making it possible to connect the usb type c port to it . Here's examples :

Amazon.com: LINKUP - [Active Chip] USB 3.0 (3.1 Gen 2) Internal IDC 20 Pin Motherboard Header to A-Key (Type-E) 20 Pin Female Converter for Type C Panel Mount Adapter : Electronics

Amazon.com: JoyReken - USB 3.0 (3.1 Gen 2) Internal (19-Pin) Motherboard Header to Type E Header A-Key 20 Pin Front Panel Adapter for USB Type C Motherboard : Electronics

Amazon.com: Oassuose USB 3.1 Front Panel Adapter,Internal Vertical USB 3.0-IDC 20 Pin/19Pin to Type E Key-A 20 Pin Header Adapter for Type C Panel Mount Adapter : Electronics

But because the usb 3 header is now used by the adapter, you won't be able to connect the two usb 3 ports on the case.

Another option would be to get a sort of extension cable to connect the usb type c port to the usb type c connector in the back of the case

Another option is to get an extra usb 3 controller card with that usb type c header on it ... for example : https://www.newegg.com/en-labs-pcie1x5gue20fp-pci-express-to-usb-card/p/17Z-00FJ-00041