What do I need to use a Moca adapter?

🤔 Got a question about MOCA. So I know my modem can do Moca, but what else do I need to connect my ethernet cable to coax through this device in the link below? Do I just plug the two cables into it or are splitters and such required? I'm exploring other ways to stream to my TV besides WIFI since I no longer have a cable TV box. 

Link: MoCA 2.5 Network Adapter

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Got a question about MOCA. So I know my modem can do Moca, but what else do I need to connect my ethernet cable to coax through this device in the link below? Do I just plug the two cables into it or are splitters and such required? I'm exploring other ways to stream to my TV besides WIFI since I no longer have a cable TV box. 

They're pretty much just plug-n-play. If you want more info and to see a bit about how they work etc, this is good video. 

https://youtu.be/XeqbkfColRg

9 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

You need to make sure you have a Moca filter installed on the line coming in from the cable co. This is to reflect the Moca signal back in and to prevent it from leaving your home. The other thing you may need to check if Moca is enabled in your modem, because it’s probably not on by default. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

You need to make sure you have a Moca filter installed on the line coming in from the cable co. This is to reflect the Moca signal back in and to prevent it from leaving your home. The other thing you may need to check if Moca is enabled in your modem, because it’s probably not on by default. 

🤔 So, basically just call comcast and ask them if they installed a moca filter on the junction box (or wherever its supposed to be)? Would I be able to find out under my Xfinity account? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

17 hours ago, Hakarune said:

They're pretty much just plug-n-play. If you want more info and to see a bit about how they work etc, this is good video. 

https://youtu.be/XeqbkfColRg

🧐 I just started watching it. So basically, I don't need a splitter since I don't have a cable box anymore? The only thing I have now is the TV itself, using Roku. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 So, basically just call comcast and ask them if they installed a moca filter on the junction box (or wherever its supposed to be)? Would I be able to find out under my Xfinity account? 

I doubt that info would be included on your account, a phone rep is likely not going to know. If it were me I’d go find where the cable comes in and check. 

On 12/24/2022 at 7:53 AM, Donut417 said:

I doubt that info would be included on your account, a phone rep is likely not going to know. If it were me I’d go find where the cable comes in and check. 

🤷‍♂️I don't see anything outside but the basic coax cable coming from the junction box. What is it supposed to even look like? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@Donut417 Nevermind, I guess it connects to the splitter that connects to the line coming from outside. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

15 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

@Donut417 Nevermind, I guess it connects to the splitter that connects to the line coming from outside. 

As long as its before the first splitter it should work. The issue is, everyones install can be different. Some times that splitter is outside of the house, some times its inside. 

For reference here is a Moca filter https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-coaxial-networks/dp/B00KO5KHSQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1STCKUC20RQBJ&keywords=moca+filter&qid=1671978320&sprefix=Moca+filter%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-1

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

As long as its before the first splitter it should work. The issue is, everyones install can be different. Some times that splitter is outside of the house, some times its inside. 

For reference here is a Moca filter https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-coaxial-networks/dp/B00KO5KHSQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1STCKUC20RQBJ&keywords=moca+filter&qid=1671978320&sprefix=Moca+filter%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-1

🤔 Yes, I got lucky since its in the house. Looks like it's this one. 

CommScope SV-4G 4-Way MoCa Horizontal Coaxial Splitter -7dB 5-1002 MHz High Performance for Coax Cable TV & Internet https://a.co/d/iorBwl0

20221225_084504.jpg

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

9 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Yes, I got lucky since its in the house. Looks like it's this one. 

CommScope SV-4G 4-Way MoCa Horizontal Coaxial Splitter -7dB 5-1002 MHz High Performance for Coax Cable TV & Internet https://a.co/d/iorBwl0

20221225_084504.jpg

Thats just a splitter not a Moca filter. The fact it has Moca in the name might mean it will pass frequencies beyond 1 Ghz as Moca uses bands above 1 Ghz where your cable provider currently uses like 40 Mhz to 950 Mhz. 

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats just a splitter not a Moca filter. The fact it has Moca in the name might mean it will pass frequencies beyond 1 Ghz as Moca uses bands above 1 Ghz where your cable provider currently uses like 40 Mhz to 950 Mhz. 

😕 Right, so will I need a better splitter as well? Because this is the splitter Comcast installed. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

17 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😕 Right, so will I need a better splitter as well? Because this is the splitter Comcast installed. 

You may. Ive heard that Moca can work with regular splitters but might cause some interference. One thing to keep in mind, Comcast used to use Moca for whole home DVR, I think now the DVR is cloud based. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

You may. Ive heard that Moca can work with regular splitters but might cause some interference. One thing to keep in mind, Comcast used to use Moca for whole home DVR, I think now the DVR is cloud based. 

🧐 Would a splitter like this be better? Says the speed is faster, 2300mhz instead of the 1002 mhz of my current one. 

BAMF 6 Way Coaxial Cable Splitter

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

8 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🧐 Would a splitter like this be better? Says the speed is faster, 2300mhz instead of the 1002 mhz of my current one. 

BAMF 6 Way Coaxial Cable Splitter

Yeah that would be better. However, how many devices are you going to have hooked up? The more ports on the splitter the more loss you will have. I recall when we had TV and Internet via Comcast, we had a two way splitter that one port did Internet and the other went in to another splitter to do TV. Thats because cable modems need the best possible signal. So you want a splitter than is moca capable as well as with the lease amount of ports. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah that would be better. However, how many devices are you going to have hooked up? The more ports on the splitter the more loss you will have. I recall when we had TV and Internet via Comcast, we had a two way splitter that one port did Internet and the other went in to another splitter to do TV. Thats because cable modems need the best possible signal. So you want a splitter than is moca capable as well as with the lease amount of ports. 

It's really just one TV and my computer. My sister has one using an antenna. We'll just use wifi for her if she wants more. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 2 weeks later...

@Donut417 

🧐 So I have one coming tomorrow from Amazon, but the Moca Adapter also came with its own. It says 5-1002mhz. Is this going to be a problem? The one from amazon says 1125-1525Mhz. 😕

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEHUV88

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

@Donut417 

🧐 So I have one coming tomorrow from Amazon, but the Moca Adapter also came with its own. It says 5-1002mhz. Is this going to be a problem? The one from amazon says 1125-1525Mhz. 😕

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEHUV88

Cant say. Ive seen conflicting reports. Some say it willl work fine with a normal splitter. And I would guess if it came with the adapter it should work. Amazon is pretty chill when it comes to returns. Just try it with the include splitter and if it works, return the one to Amazon. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Cant say. Ive seen conflicting reports. Some say it willl work fine with a normal splitter. And I would guess if it came with the adapter it should work. Amazon is pretty chill when it comes to returns. Just try it with the include splitter and if it works, return the one to Amazon. 

I mean, I got it connected. The internet is fine as before, but the moca adapter is not establishing a connection. This is what my modem is showing. 

Moca down.JPG

Moca enabled in modem.JPG

😕The moca adapter is powering on at least, for what thats worth. Just not linking up is the issue. I hope I didn't mess up the coax cable I was intending to use. 😭

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

16 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

I mean, I got it connected. The internet is fine as before, but the moca adapter is not establishing a connection. This is what my modem is showing. 

Moca down.JPG

Moca enabled in modem.JPG

😕The moca adapter is powering on at least, for what thats worth. Just not linking up is the issue. I hope I didn't mess up the coax cable I was intending to use. 😭

It could also be a bug in the Comcast gateway. My friend had issues a while back with port forwarding. I dont use Comcast's hardware choosing to buy my own so I really cant help there. Make sure you read all the documentation with the adapter as well, Im pretty sure there is a pairing process. Another thing Id try is to reboot the gateway, some times a reboot just fixes things. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 6:52 PM, Donut417 said:

It could also be a bug in the Comcast gateway. My friend had issues a while back with port forwarding. I dont use Comcast's hardware choosing to buy my own so I really cant help there. Make sure you read all the documentation with the adapter as well, Im pretty sure there is a pairing process. Another thing Id try is to reboot the gateway, some times a reboot just fixes things. 

😂 Fuck it, I ended up just wiring a 100ft Cat6 ethernet cable down to the modem and called it a day. I have no idea whats going on with MOCA. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Maybe I damaged the coax cable trying to take it apart. Only thing I can think of. 😔

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

13 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Maybe I damaged the coax cable trying to take it apart. Only thing I can think of. 😔

Could be, but Ive unscrewed coax many times and never had issues. It might be a defective adapters. I know some gateways offer moca support but that might also not be fully supported by the ISP, so if you were using your ISP's gateway as one of the adapters, that might have been the issue. Could also be interference on the coax. Could be excessive splits in the coax, as each splitter and larger splitters screw with the singal. Unfortunately with any Ethernet "Alternatives" there are a number of reason they might not work.