At the end of 2022, is Windows 11 worth upgrading to, a year+ after it's release? (asking for both Intel & AMD systems)

NB912

Would you guys recommend? I still hear a lot of complaints about the UI and the fact that it demands a MS account. Usually I wait for microsoft to iron out their stuff (Windows 7 being the exception).

Thanks for all the help!

I like it. Have had no stability issues, and the dark mode task manager is the best change Windows has ever made. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Never tried Win 11, I would only go for it if software or workplace demands it... At home, hell no! I don't know why developers can't keep making software that runs on Win 7... Win 11 is built on top of Win 10, basically is the same bloatware and I can't recommend either. The hours I have wasted wrestling errors on 2 work PCs after almost every update is just unreal.

15 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Never tried Win 11, I would only go for it if software or workplace demands it... At home, hell no! I don't know why developers can't keep making software that runs on Win 7... Win 11 is built on top of Win 10, basically is the same bloatware and I can't recommend either. The hours I have wasted wrestling errors on 2 work PCs after almost every update is just unreal.

Yeah it's unfortunate they killed windows 7, imho it was one of their best (perhaps even better than XP). Although I've been running with Windows 10 since 2016 and it's (for the most part) treated me nicely.

meh. It does require a log in now, but it didn't previously, which is bogus. However you can log in, activate, set up a local account, remove your account that was signed in. It's a huge work around for a problem that doesn't need to exist.

I'm also highly disturbed at the amount of advertising you are forced through for a product you had to pay for (for newer computers anyway). It's bogus.

Is it better than 10? No it's literally the same. 

14 hours ago, johnt said:

meh. It does require a log in now, but it didn't previously, which is bogus. However you can log in, activate, set up a local account, remove your account that was signed in. It's a huge work around for a problem that doesn't need to exist.

I'm also highly disturbed at the amount of advertising you are forced through for a product you had to pay for (for newer computers anyway). It's bogus.

Is it better than 10? No it's literally the same. 

It seems like everything these days needs/wants an account, a 21st century disease.

18 minutes ago, NB912 said:

It seems like everything these days needs/wants an account, a 21st

century disease.

Indeed. It makes me want to puke that these companies want our data so much. To tie so much to individuals and sell or harvest the data. It's creepy and disturbing.

I went to a hair store at my local mall the other day to buy a hair brush. The lady was like "you need an account if you want to be able to return it." WUT! Eat a used diaper lady. I walked out of the store.

14 minutes ago, johnt said:

Indeed. It makes me want to puke that these companies want our data so much. To tie so much to individuals and sell or harvest the data. It's creepy and disturbing.

I went to a hair store at my local mall the other day to buy a hair brush. The lady was like "you need an account if you want to be able to return it." WUT! Eat a used diaper lady. I walked out of the store.

That sounds batsh*t crazy, it's gone too far and it won't stop until there's enough backlash on it. It's a very slippery slope.

• 2 weeks later...

Dose win 11 require an internet connection? 

I know the latest Intel sees a solid improvement with win 11 but is there any benefit for Ryzen?

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

8 hours ago, lotus10101 said:

Dose win 11 require an internet connection? 

I know the latest Intel sees a solid improvement with win 11 but is there any benefit for Ryzen?

Probably yes for the microsoft account, after a long day yesterday (windows didn't want to update to version 22H2, I just installed straight away that version,of Windows 10 of course, decided it's much better and less annoying to install, besides AMD just recently strated being supported (properly) by Win 11 so until Windows 10 expires, I'll keep it.

I've tried some Windows 11.  I wouldn't switch too soon because I'm convinced they'll make it free eventually and all drivers for MOBO/CPU/GPU is optimized for Windows 10 use.  One other thing I found is that Windows 11 almost feels rigid or unoriginal compared to a Linux distro or Windows 10.