Is 8GB enough in 2022?

Go to solution Solved by _Omega_,

Yes for the games/applications you named 8 GB are enough ( as long as they are not heavily modded) I can run Minecraft on my 4gb surface pro 4 and Netflix/YouTube are not that much dependent on RAM

So is 8GB of ram enough for Minecraft,Roblox,Youtube and watching netflix? Beacuse that's what my brother is gonna do with his PC.

Yes for the games/applications you named 8 GB are enough ( as long as they are not heavily modded) I can run Minecraft on my 4gb surface pro 4 and Netflix/YouTube are not that much dependent on RAM

Yes

Unless he plans to do several at the same time, which might be a little tight, but still nothing too bad.

1 hour ago, _Omega_ said:

Ok, thanks for your contribution to this thread.

But you can run intro problems if ist juts one stick of 8 GB RAM because you cut the RAM speed in half compared to dual channel 

It is gonna be only one stick so......

1 hour ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Yes

Unless he plans to do several at the same time, which might be a little tight, but still nothing too bad.

He is not probably gonna do all of it at the same time so I think everything is ok.

in order of clarity:

Youtube: yes.

Netflix: yes.

Roblox: system requirements say yes.

Minecraft: java or bedrock?

Bedrock: should be fine.

Java: eh.. if you're running bone stock and no texture packs, probably. java likes memory.

3 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

But you can run intro problems if ist juts one stick of 8 GB RAM because you cut the RAM speed in half compared to dual channel 

696 posts

nice

And yes never run single channel that cripples performance

3 minutes ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Well just see and maybe at some point you can add another one. Depending on the CPU its not gonna make the games unplayable but you are going to loose some FPS

4 minutes ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Upgrade in the future?

Well just see and maybe at some point you can add another one. Depending its not gonna make the games unplayable but you are going to loose some FPS

Yeah that could be a possibility I could go for 4x2 = 8.

1 minute ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Yeah that could be a possibility I could go for 4x2 = 8.

What CPU and GPU do you want to use. Ich you want to go for a iGPU build you need dual channel for sure.

What CPU and GPU do you want to use. Ich you want to go for a iGPU build you need dual channel for sure.

The iGpu is an uhd 630 that has almost similar performance as a GT 730 according to an old video of LTT.

5 hours ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

The iGpu is an uhd 630 that has almost similar performance as a GT 730 according to an old video of LTT.

Do you want to use the iGPU or are you going to install an dedicated GPU? For an iGPU dual channel RAM is a must 

3 hours ago, _Omega_ said:

Do you want to use the iGPU or are you going to install an dedicated GPU? For an iGPU dual channel RAM is a must 

I will use the iGPU

I have used 8gb ram (without dual channel) to play battltfiled V , minecraft java&bedrock(even when I was setting up a server for my friends) and so on. It runs very frequently so I don't think 8GB is not enough.

(the last pc i had: cpu e3 1230v2  gpu Asus HD7870 8GB DDR3 1600 ram   BIOSTAR b75 motherboard)

My brother's laptop is also 8GB ram single slot, having used 4 years without any problem in collage.

So have fun